Ordering a car?

:
2017 SRC CX-5 GT + Premium
OK, so I didn't realize you could still do this (I ordered my Dakota back in 1997, but figured it was a thing of the past).

A dealer has been texting me, and mentioned they have the only Eternal Blue in Houston right now, if I'm interested. I told him thanks, but I don't want a car with a black interior (possibly the a factor for it being the only one in town) because of how hot it gets, though the Eternal Blue is my favorite color. He said they could order one in parchment white "fresh from the factory" -- that caught my attention. Not sure I believe him entirely since the Mazda literature doesn't have that combo, supposedly. Also asked if at GT could be ordered with17" wheels, and he said I could get one with the wheels that come on the sport trim, if I prefer those.

Things that make you go "hmmm."

So, does this ping anyone's BS meter? Anyone else looking to "order" a car, rather than buy one already put together?

We sure did order my wife's, instead of taking one from the lot.
I don't know about parchment with blue, but they could easily take the wheels off of the Sport package car on the lot, give you these for a full price, then sell the Sport with "upgraded rims option" for more money. Can't see anything wrong with that.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Yes, it's legit. Should be a tiny bit cheaper too. At least it used to be if you are willing to wait

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's legit. Should be a tiny bit cheaper too. At least it used to be if you are willing to wait

How would it be cheaper? If anything, I'd expect more expensive since you're having one "customized" sorta.

My mom ordered a Ford from the factory years ago and it was cheaper because it never technically entered dealer stock. Or something like that. Don't remember the exact wording.

I always thought that when you ordered like that you were "stuck" with MSRP - no (or very little) discount.

We sure did order my wife's, instead of taking one from the lot.
I don't know about parchment with blue, but they could easily take the wheels off of the Sport package car on the lot, give you these for a full price, then sell the Sport with "upgraded rims option" for more money. Can't see anything wrong with that.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

How did they handle the actual purchase? ie: pay (take the loan out) at delivery, or when you ordered?

I always thought that when you ordered like that you were "stuck" with MSRP - no (or very little) discount.
I found a thread elsewhere (it was "suggested" at the bottom of this page) in this site where someone said you are at the mercy of whatever incentives are in place when the car arrives, but since Mazda was (at the time) pretty consistent it wasn't too much of a risk.

Also said in the same thread that because the car never sits on the floor, they can shave off costs that are assumed for sitting in inventory for those which are factory-direct.

EDIT: Here's the thread

Last edited:
Yep. Something like that about there are some costs involved getting the car entered into your inventory. It wasn't an enormous discount. $500 or something around that.

⋯ So, does this ping anyone's BS meter? Anyone else looking to "order" a car, rather than buy one already put together?
Most new vehicles we bought were special ordered. I've been telling people here if you don't see any exact CX-5 you like, and you can wait for 1~4 weeks, talk to your sales manager and go for the special-order route. We want a newly face-lifted 2016 Sonic Silver CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package, but at the time in Feb. 2015 there's nobody had AWD as most people don't want AWD in Texas. My sales manager told me for Mazda he could check his internal system for all the inventory at Mazda's port of entry. I don't have to wait for vehicle assembled in Japan as all the options are only in 2 packages for GT and it's very likely I can find one in Mazda's pool. Ended up he found one still on the boat coming to Long Beach, California. He got VIN and processed the sales order with $500 check (return to us when car arrives) so that we can eligible to $500 President's Day cash back. The sales manager still matched the lowest price I got from email quotes. Our brand new CX-5 delivered to our dealer in 23 days with 3 miles on the odometer. The window sticker printed out at the port of entry showing my dealer's name. If we prefer, we can have Mazda install every accessory we want at the port and these accessaries would be listed on the window sticker. But we only want options from factory, not interested on any of the accessaries.

Of course you can't special order a GT with 17" wheels from factory. You still have to follow the rules such as your favorite Eternal Blue Mica can only match with black interior. If your salesman told you he can special order a Mazda not following the rules, such as getting a parchment interior for Eternal Blue Mica 2017 CX-5, then he's simply telling a lie. Thier ordering system won't let them to do that!

I ordered my '07 G35x (V36 Nissan Skyline) back in late '06...... it can be cheaper in some situations.

Not many Infiniti dealers in WA state but lots in CA. WA dealers were selling the V36 models at not a dollar off of MSRP. CA dealers would deal and sell at invoice so ordered a fully loaded model to my spec and in 3/07 (after factory build & transit across Pacific) got it delivered to my driveway with a 3 or 4 vehicle delivery truck. Even with delivery charge and local sales tax I saved nearly $4K.

OK, so I didn't realize you could still do this (I ordered my Dakota back in 1997, but figured it was a thing of the past).

A dealer has been texting me, and mentioned they have the only Eternal Blue in Houston right now, if I'm interested. I told him thanks, but I don't want a car with a black interior (possibly the a factor for it being the only one in town) because of how hot it gets, though the Eternal Blue is my favorite color. He said they could order one in parchment white "fresh from the factory" -- that caught my attention. Not sure I believe him entirely since the Mazda literature doesn't have that combo, supposedly. Also asked if at GT could be ordered with17" wheels, and he said I could get one with the wheels that come on the sport trim, if I prefer those.

Things that make you go "hmmm."

So, does this ping anyone's BS meter? Anyone else looking to "order" a car, rather than buy one already put together?

May I suggest getting the windows tinted? If you get a good quality ceramic tint put on that would help block out the sun / heat. It would also make the appearance of the car a lot more appealing for some people. Just a thought as you were concerned about how hot it gets inside the car.

Umm, ordering is the way to go, although you tend to have to wait. I'd say most of new Mazda's are ordered in Japan. Not as much storage space, so dealers tend to only have a demo onsite, and don't want you to buy that one.

A dealer has been texting me, and mentioned they have the only Eternal Blue in Houston right now, if I'm interested. I told him thanks, but I don't want a car with a black interior (possibly the a factor for it being the only one in town) because of how hot it gets, though the Eternal Blue is my favorite color. He said they could order one in parchment white "fresh from the factory" -- that caught my attention.

Have you ever had a car with a white interior? It looks nice in pictures and in person but you really need to take of them otherwise I find the dye from your clothing will start to bleed into the seats overtime(at least they did with my BMW). Just something to keep in mind.

Most likely, is not the same thing to order from the factory, or from the dealership. The later, is more expensive.

Hi all (long-time lurker and Mazda owner, first-time poster)!

We just ordered our Soul Red Crystal Metallic/Pure White Leather 2017 CX-5 "from the factory" because according to our dealer (and the Mazda Canada spec sheet) all 2017 CX-5s with white leather interior are special order. Apparently Mazda is only sending 1 demo car with white interior to dealers as the Soul Red Crystal Metallic / white leather combo is the one that is being featured in Mazda promotions for the 2017 CX-5, but even these are being claimed by buyers before they arrive!

The regional manager was in when I came in to order and he was able to access the information as to what colors were available both from shipments that had already left Japan and the ones currently being built at the factory which are earmarked for their region. They thought they might be able to score one that was in transit on the boat, but that one turned out to already have a buyer. There were two more being built at the factory and they were able to lock one in for us. We just paid a $500 deposit (you could put down up to $2,000 if you want more card points) and will pay the balance when the car arrives, likely end of May. There was no price difference or surcharge for ordering from the factory.

If I could have ordered a Titanium Flash Mica with white leather interior I would have done so, but that colour combo is not an option for the 2017s; only the black, blue, grey and red exteriors can have the white interior. Whether you can get an Eternal Blue with white leather interior will depend on the North American specs.

Hope this helps!

Have you ever had a car with a white interior? It looks nice in pictures and in person but you really need to take of them otherwise I find the dye from your clothing will start to bleed into the seats overtime(at least they did with my BMW). Just something to keep in mind.

Not white, but my current vehicle has a very light tan (what I'd call the "parchment" in the CX-5 photos), and it hasn't changed colors over time. Certainly not had clothing dye bleed into it. I've had cloth and leather. Prefer leather. Been in black-colored interiors... that is a big fat NO where I live. It's like climbing into an oven, for about 5 months out of the year... and I don't have a garage to park it in, so no hiding in the shade for me. Grey would be perfect (we have that in our Tacoma... it's perfect), but that's not an option, so... I'll chose a color that might get dirty easier over one that will roast my flesh.

May I suggest getting the windows tinted? If you get a good quality ceramic tint put on that would help block out the sun / heat. It would also make the appearance of the car a lot more appealing for some people. Just a thought as you were concerned about how hot it gets inside the car.

I'm not a fan of heavily tinted windows... but how much would that fix interior heat? Seems like making windows darker means they'd warm up more?

Umm, ordering is the way to go, although you tend to have to wait. I'd say most of new Mazda's are ordered in Japan. Not as much storage space, so dealers tend to only have a demo onsite, and don't want you to buy that one.

I'm not sure it's all that common over here in the US, though. I remember being very surprised to find out I could order the Dakota back in 1997. Nobody else I know has ever mentioned they ordered a car - all have been picked from dealer stock. That said, I don't mind waiting. I'd rather wait and get exactly what I want, than compromise and just take what's in front of me and "close enough."

I had a MINI in the US. Ordering from the factory was common enough (at least in NY).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back