Oil question

I think in regard to the difference between 5W20 and 0W20, it sounds like not a big deal for the engine. Fine. I'm ok with that.

But I *do* think it's sketchy that the dealer is putting in a different oil than is recommended *and isn't telling the consumer*. If they have a good reason - like, it's cheaper and will work just as fine - ok great. Just tell me. But I don't think it's a great idea to do something that may confuse consumers (keeping in mind that most people, including me, don't know jack squat about what's a good choice for oil).

I mean, just look at this thread. I had to go ask people "geez, why would they do this?" As a *business* that's not something you want. You want crystal-clear communication, honestly, and customer satisfaction. Not confusion and doubt.

So bottom line, it sounds like not a big deal from an engineering standpoint ... but from a business perspective I think it maybe was a poor decision (at least, to do it without telling your client).

In regards to the 182RG stuff earlier.... I miss my days of flying a C177 RG. Tiny little thing, but super sexy with the no-strut and sloped cockpit windscreen. Loved that thing. I eventually moved into a C210 just because I needed to haul four people plus lots of luggage, and it just wasn't working in the C177. Or even the C182 that we had available. The C177 had extended tanks ... get up to altitude and dial back the fuel flow and that thing could stay in the air forever.

But I *do* think it's sketchy that the dealer is putting in a different oil than is recommended *and isn't telling the consumer*.

Sketchy to say the least. When I get my car serviced at the dealer I bought it from, I "ass/u/me" that they are using genuine manufacture brand, new parts for my repairs. If I wanted "Fram", I'd go to a quick lube place. Not that there's anything wrong with Fram products, but, I'd expect a Mazda dealer to use Mazda parts!!

Ugh, that sucks.

Is there anyone who has complete trust in their original dealership that they purchased their CX-5 from? lol

Will it really "suffer"? 5W-20 was considered suitable for extreme cold a few years ago before 0W was available. I figured most vehicles at -40 were using block heaters anyhow.

*should be*

Definitely call them out on putting the 5w-20 in. Tell them they can do it if you get a letter from Mazda Corporate specifically allowing it.

I stopped at a dealer the other day, and they use.......PetroCan bulk oil, 0W20 synthetic blend.
I also assume going to a dealer you get genuine mazda parts and the manual recommends full synthetic.
Forget about the arguement that the oil is probably ok,, point being the dealer doesn't even follow the factory recomendation.
They have the Mazda oil on the shelf, but that cost extra.

What does the manual REQUIRE?

Recommend and require allow some leeway.

Post #11
From the owners manual-
6-20

0W-20 full synthetic recommended:
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle and is the recommended 0W-20 lubricant. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol[emoji768] (U.S.A. only).

Only use SAE 0W-20 oil with the American Petroleum Institute (API) symbol and ILSAC GF-5.
Oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Except U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.
Oil container labels provide important information.
A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy is reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction.
For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol[emoji768] (Mexico only).

I stopped at a dealer the other day, and they use.......PetroCan bulk oil, 0W20 synthetic blend.
I also assume going to a dealer you get genuine mazda parts and the manual recommends full synthetic.
Forget about the arguement that the oil is probably ok,, point being the dealer doesn't even follow the factory recomendation.
They have the Mazda oil on the shelf, but that cost extra.

Which dealer? In the Lower Mainland or elsewhere in Canada (based on the Petro Canada oil)? We're trying to determine whether to use the dealers here and what to watch out for. Our dealer offers a $599 "lifetime oil change" package. In principle it could work in our favour given that we plan on having the car for a long time, but I want to vet the fine print first.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back