Oil overfill during service

⋯ check your level, repeat until you get your desired level, ⋯ Just don't do it with hot engine oil.
Yeah but many believe you want to take the oil level reading with hot oil otherwise it won’t be accurate ⋯ :whistle:

I'm still in the process of changing my oil. I drained it last week and replaced the filter. I filled the new filter with fresh oil but I still haven't put fresh oil in the engine.

Today I decided to pour the old oil out of the drain pan. Since I was already under there I removed the drain plug again to see if any more had drained down in the engine. There was about another 8 oz. and it took over 5 minutes for the stream to stop and begin dripping.

I wonder what the dipstick would show after a week. The engine is definitely cold.

I'm still in the process of changing my oil. I drained it last week and replaced the filter. I filled the new filter with fresh oil but I still haven't put fresh oil in the engine.

Today I decided to pour the old oil out of the drain pan. Since I was already under there I removed the drain plug again to see if any more had drained down in the engine. There was about another 8 oz. and it took over 5 minutes for the stream to stop and begin dripping.

I wonder what the dipstick would show after a week. The engine is definitely cold.
Yes, draining time makes big difference and I suspect the reason why most car dealers overfill the oil change is because they don’t give enough time to drain the old oil.

You have a 2016.5 CX-5 6MT and you have a 2.0L where the manual says 4.4 quarts for oil change. With long draining time for a week, you may need at least 5 quarts of fresh oil to make it to the Full mark.

Strangely my guess is the oil level should look about the same between over-night and a week of waiting based on my experience.

There was probably a lot of oil clinging to the sides of the drain pan, especially if it was cold and viscous when you drained it. Over the week, that oil would slowly seep down to the low point of the pan and drain much more quickly the next time you tried, since it was right near the plug, and would have much higher volume to contact surface area ratio.

If the tube is clean then no debris will get in. If the tube was put down on something dirty, and got debris on or in it, or the pump had stuff in it then it might bet in the oil. It's fine, I'm anal about my funnel being clean too.
8 ounces is more than I would have thought would be left in the engine. That was a good test.

Back