Oil Filter/Oil & Lube Question

mpluk1985

:
2013, Black CX-5 Grand Touring AWD 6 spd Automatic
Hi,

I just bought a CX-5 Grand Touring, 2013 Automatic 6 Speed. I found in the owner's manual that Mazda recommends 0W-20 Castrol oil, but I can't find anything regarding the filter. What does Mazda recommend for the filter type and brand? Also, would anyone recommend any other types of oil for this car? I've never used Castrol.

One final question: in the scheduled maintenance, at 30k miles, Mazda says to lube all locks and hinges. Any specific lube I'm supposed to use or would WD-40 do the trick?

Thanks,

Mark

Mazda recommends Castrol as an alternative to their own branded super moly oil. If you really care about your new ride, don't cheap out. Use the good (Mazda) stuff. It's not that much more expensive, especially if you shop around a bit for it. Use a Mazda OE filter or any good premium brand filter and lube the locks and hinges with white lithium aerosol spray (never WD-40!).

Hey any idea how many gallons it takes in oil when I change it?

Use whatever synthetic you want. Dealers do. Mine uses pennzoil platinum. Hardly any dealer in the U.S. uses moly oil. Not to mention oils like Mobil 1 meet or exceed the GF-5 spec.

I do however use Mazda OEM oil filters. They are cheap at 6.29 at my dealer.

It's a 2.0 so it takes 4.5 qts. You need to read the owners manual. All this info is in there!

Exactly! The best place for you to find your answers is directly from Mazda. You see that you already have 2 different answers on how much oil your engine takes. These forums are awesome, but are no substitute to learning about your car using the info that Mazda gave you.

This thread is now a few years old but the Mazda Moly oil is well regarded.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=357910

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%206.38.04%20PM.png

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2781625

Thanks for the link. There's other factors to look when comparing oils but at least we have a small sample window of comparing Mazda OEM oil with other oils. That said the viscosity difference between oils becomes less after reaching optimal temps. FYI, There's an updated and more accurate version of this chart which shows Mazda OEM at 8.37. But still this chart is like from 2011-2012 or something like that.

Using the Mazda OEM oil's 8.37 Kinematic viscosity at 100C as reference, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is at 8.39 and the Pennzoil Platinum was at 8.4. Then I looked up what I use, Castrol Edge which is 8.6 however this is based of MDS sheets dated 2011. My understanding is they updated their formula since then to run thinner. Can't find it though. That said, I'm going to start waiting for optimal engine temps before driving off.

I was told by a coworker to never use the white lithium aerosol spray on locks. Only use on hinges. He recommended graphite for locks. Any thoughts?

I was told by a coworker to never use the white lithium aerosol spray on locks. Only use on hinges. He recommended graphite for locks. Any thoughts?
There may be some truth behind that idea, but without further explanation it's difficult to say.

White Lithium attracts dust/dirt and eventually will bind the lock. Graphite is the recommended lock lube.

Back