Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Well came to the dealership to have them check the issue, they changed the oil and said it wasn't smoking now after they let it sit for about 20minutes. I highly doubt this has fixed the issue though. The guy did say until there is a fix mazda will pay for every oil change.

I'm going to be utterly pissed if I drive back home and it starts smoking again. Since I had to drive almost 2 hours to the closest speed certified dealership..

Well came to the dealership to have them check the issue, they changed the oil and said it wasn't smoking now after they let it sit for about 20minutes. I highly doubt this has fixed the issue though. The guy did say until there is a fix mazda will pay for every oil change.

I'm going to be utterly pissed if I drive back home and it starts smoking again. Since I had to drive almost 2 hours to the closest speed certified dealership..

It they put 5-40 in you wont smoke for about 3500/4k when the oil breaks down, then it will and get it changed. unless you have a lot of stop and go, then sooner maybe.

This really sucks.

I was very interested in buying a Mazdaspeed 3, but after looking up possible problems, I found this. I feel your frustration, because now I can't buy one without a resolution in place.

Does the 2009 have the same problem?

Does Mazda read this forum?

Last edited:
This really sucks.

I was very interested in buying a Mazdaspeed 3, but after looking up possible problems, I found this. I feel your frustration, because now I can't buy one without a resolution in place.

Just because the car smokes shouldn't be a reason to turn you away.. I knew this going in and I still bought the car because its fun and safe and a hell of a ride when you are in the boost.. I don't think you should be totally against the car for a problem that doesn't really effect the performance of the car or atleast I don't think it does..

Agree
This cars are a lot of fun and when u take care of them they are even more fun
I have a 2009 mazdaspeed3 I had a smoking issue with it before but when I switch to asm oil it solved all my problems
I say get the car and have fun with it

This really sucks.

I think how fun these cars are makes up for this possible problem that not all of the cars have

Has anyone tried putting in 0W-40? Its expensive but made for turbo charged engines. I may give it a try. Also a question for those who have had their turbo's replaced. Has the replacement stopped the smoking?

Last edited:
Well since I have taken the car to get it looked at the smoking has stopped.. I took it to the dealer, they changed the oil, and no smoke what so ever.. I've let it sit numerous times idling for 10-15 minutes at a time and not one puff of smoke is coming out of the back end..

I'm going to continue to monitor the car but basically as soon as it starts to smoke again I'm going to take it to the dealership to have the oil changed.. Since there is "not a fix yet" for the smoking issue my dealership said they would change the oil anytime free of charge for me.. So I am going to take full advantage of that..

Has anyone tried putting in 0W-40? Its expensive but made for turbo charged engines. I may give it a try. Also a question for those who have had their turbo's replaced. Has the replacement stopped the smoking?

Oy! I had my turbo replaced from the dealership 2 months ago, and it has not smoked on me since. They put in 5w30 when they replaced it, but I chose to replace it with 5w40 Euro from Amsoil right when I brought it home. I'm staying on the safe side. Plus the oil is a good viscosity for the turbocharger and engine for winter seasons. So I'm good with it.

Dealer asked to see oil change receipts and I don't have them... Now what? Any suggestions how to get some??

Ihad just bought the car used and didn't have any either and it didn't make a difference. The documented the smoke and said they sent it in for review by Mazda. I haven't heard a damn thing about it since then though and its been at least a year.

Replace my turbo...or not?

I'm the original owner of a 07 MS3. It's stock and has been well maintained.
Now at 62K miles, it started smoking at idle.
Took it to the dealer. They filled it with 5W-40 and told me to keep an eye on it. If it started smoking again, the turbo would have to be replaced.
I didn't sense a lot of confidence.
About 500 miles later it began to smoke at idle again.
I've read this and other threads, but still have a couple of questions:

1. What happens if I don't replace the turbo? Other than smoke, and loss if oil, is there a serious downside or danger in not replacing the turbo?
and,
2. Any idea if there is a warranty on the replacement turbo? I'd hate to go through this again.
Thanks,
Mo

Mine has this problem...and I have about a week left on my warranty. They're going to replace the turbo.

Anyone know if the replacement turbo has any better seals? Or is the long term fix to just switch to 5W40?

I think turbo replacement is the only answer Mazda has, I have an OCC, the PTP fix and run 5-40 and will still see some smoke after about 3k miles at prolonged idle periods. An oil change corrects it again for a time. I'm not sure nor do I think many other are of the long term effects of this issue. My DP was installed Fri and the turbo turbines were inspected and are silky smooth. I only have 24k on the car right now though.

i also have a OCC and i run 10-40 oil and i still smoke like crazy during idle i think the only long term solution is to raise the idle using the cobb AP or something similar

I have my idle set at 900. I think the additional PCV to the OCC system is the ticket. I didn't add it because that jack leg SM guy told me the catch valve with the SM OCC systems would be good enough. The Cobb service bulliten has the part # along w/the OCC install on their site.

Back