Not receiving text messages ?

I just got a 2014 GT and it doesn't download or display my texts from my iPhone5. The dealer told me he's only seen it work with blackberries and is expecting an update soon that will fix this considering most everyone has iphones or droids and no one seems to have blackberries anymore. A bit of an annoyance but hopefully it'll be worked out soon.

You can find this same thread on virtually every auto maker's forums. The implementation of the messaging protocol is so variable across the phones and the cars, that very few combinations seem to work. The only phone I've seen work well with nearly all cars is the Blackberry. In newer versions of iOS and Android, the updates seem to break more things than they fix with regards to Bluetooth MAP support.

i have the same problem with all messages coming in from my Blackberry 9900 Bold. All work fine for the first week and that was it. I went back to the dealer and the service manager looked up the BB and said it should work. He was going to look for a fix but nothing yet.

O-man texting and driving!!!!!! That is a recipe for a disaster. In Mass you can get pulled over and fined for texting while driving.

Hello everyone,

Just joined this forum in searching for fixes to the texting/contacts downloading issues from my phone. I thought I'd reply in hopes of helping out. To take some of the guess work out of which phones work with the car, Mazda has a site out there where you can find your device by carrier or manufacturer: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=bluetooth. It really is hit or miss which phones work and which ones don't. As cwstnsko mentioned above though and according to the site, the Blackberry 9810 Torch seems to be the ONLY phone in the whole list I've seen for VZ and AT&T with full support for all functions including email, which is bogus to say the least.

The state at which phones today are evolving is certainly moving too fast for Mazda's engineers to keep up; ironic given their zoom-zoom motto. I love the car but was also roped in like many by the allure of the full control of my phone via bluetooth. I am an Android guy myself (Vzw Galaxy Nexus) with an upgrade looming in August, and I can say with certainty compatibility with my car will be a huge factor in what the next phone will be.

The issue seems to be easily resolved though by way of bluetooth profile compatibility. Looking at the manual for the car, page 5-102, it seems to support a standard that works with bluetooth called AVRCP with the latest version being 1.4 as well as MAP (p.5-88) functions for email. This would be something to check on any new phone to ensure compatibility along with the Mazda bluetooth site. Unfortunately though, as an end-user this isn't something you have control over as it requires an update from Google to the core Android system (AOSP, hopefully coming in key lime pie 5.0 with the rising popularity of bluetooth 4.0 and low power communication through wearable devices, like the widely anticipated GLASS and smart-watches), and probably an update from Mazda as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...vrcp-1-3-coming-to-android-with-api-level-18/

Hopefully this explains a few things to people having problems out there with their phones and the sweet ride that is the CX-5. I've been scratching my head over this since getting the car last week. I also had the issue with contacts not downloading fully and this awesome forum pointed me to the app Bluetooth Phonebook in the play store to fix my sync issues which will hopefully be a two dollar fix (haven't had a chance to test yet, but it seems to work for people that have tried it for the most part). Hoping the vehicle's warranty covers major software upgrades as new models come out.

EDIT: Confirmed the Bluetooth Phonebook app worked beautifully to download my full address book, both Gmail and Outlook contacts!

EDIT: Further research indicates this is really an issue with support for the Message Access Profile (MAP) which is part of the bluetooth stack. The lack of MAP is something that extends to Android overall I'm afraid, but some third party OEMs like Samsung have implemented it in newer phones, which is reflected in the bluetooth check for the CX-5. We might get it with the next version of Android, but who knows at this point. I'm really disappointed in Google's lack of care for a feature like this that can make messaging in cars safer overall (we all do it, don't lie), but this could actually save a life or two I think if more phones could take advantage.

Last edited:
Soo sad to read this, I just got a new CX-5 Touring TODAY and I thought I was doing something wrong but this says that I wasn't. I have an iPhone 4 so I hope either Mazda or Apple will fix it with an upgrade. Wah!

My iPhones don't work with either of the cars I have with Bluetooth message integration (Mazda or Nissan) My Droid 4 with Jelly Bean 4.1 works well with bot Mazda and Nissan. My wife's Blackberry works well with the Nissan, I'll find out in a few days if the new Blackberry, that I'm getting for my job, works well with my Mazda.

I'm really convinced the iPhone issue is an Apple thing. It reportedly worked in the iOS 6 beta, but stopped working in the production release. Maybe iOS 7 will change things. There are early reports that the 4.3 Jelly Bean update is improving Bluetooth functionality, but I think it's currently only on Nexus phones.

I have the 2014 also and having the same problem. are you able to figure out why? It worked for a few days and it just shows the message but cant hear or see the message...

i have similar problem w/ my 2014 6.

i was on an unlocked google galaxy nexus, this didnt work. just upgraded to a galaxy s4 and it prompts to download messages and SOMETIMES i see them and can read (when in park) or have them by voice when driving. i download messages and nothing shows up on the screen. im thinkin this is a mazda issue

Anyone know how to DISABLE the DOWNLOAD MESSAGE popup?
I use BT Audio streaming all the time and I get work emails, txt, hangouts messages and that popup is annoying, I don't care to read messages on the Mazda screen.

Is anyone getting the "message download failure" error message when trying to download a message? I get the prompt telling me I have new messages and when pressing yes to download, the system thinks for about 30 seconds and then tells me it couldn't download messages and to try again later. I've got a Blackberry Torch 9810. Someone I work with is able to download work emails to their CX-5 without problems. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Hi all,

I just picked up my new 2014 CX-5 GT. I have an iphone 4S and am not receiving text message on the car's display. I can "download" the messages, although no messages display. There are messages (read and unread) on my iphone. Does anyone have this working? What am I missing? Other USB functionality (Pandora, phone calls, etc) are working fine.

Thanks!

I also have a 2014 Cx5
It pairs OK with the Mazda system
Then when I receive emails on my Black Berry curve I cant down load them

Has Mazda come up with a fix for this

Don't think you are doing anything wrong, I have the Z10 and have the same issue. I even put the latest leaked OS on it and there are some more options that I will toy with tomorrow evening.

Is anyone getting the "message download failure" error message when trying to download a message? I get the prompt telling me I have new messages and when pressing yes to download, the system thinks for about 30 seconds and then tells me it couldn't download messages and to try again later. I've got a Blackberry Torch 9810. Someone I work with is able to download work emails to their CX-5 without problems. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I've just updated my Nexus 4 to Android KitKat 4.4, which now includes support for Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP), and after deleting the phone from the Mazda unit, re-pairing, allowing 'Mazda' access to messages when prompted on the phone, the Messages tab was no longer greyed out. I got a notification of a new text message, but at the moment it's not downloading them, as I get the "message download failure - please try later" message. I've tried deleting and re-pairing, turning of the car, re-booting phone but still the same. I'm wondering if it's due to the quantity of historic messages stored on the phone as the system says it will only download 15 messages. I've only had one un-read message but many more read messages. Anyone else with a Nexus 4 tried messaging since upgrading to KitKat ?

I wish now there was a way to completely disable downloading messages to the car and just not get that annoying pop up across my backup camera, across basically anything in my view. As an indicator, I get roughly 100 messages per 4 hours. I know it is insane but such is life. I can turn off the pop up by do no disturb me, however the phone doesn't pick up either. Useless device and so I hope Mazda will allow me to have a way to let me upgrade / pay up as the unit sitting in my car is over 1000 bucks with the GPS attachment.

I wish now there was a way to completely disable downloading messages to the car
I can see why that would be annoying, luckily I don't anywhere near as many messages as you. I'm not too worried about getting it working, but as my phone now supports BT MAP I thought I'd give it try. Actually I think it could be dangerous, as any distraction when driving ought to be avoided.
Not sure what type of phone you have, but if you can prevent the car using MAP, then downloads should stop. On some phones, you can do this by going into Settings>Bluetooth (or similar), and for the device 'Mazda' you can then remove permission for access to Messages. However that option doesn't seem to be available on the Nexus 4, so if that's also the case with your phone, then try deleting the pairing from the car and phone, the re-pair. In my case, my phone showed a message asking to give Mazda permission to Messages. In my case I allowed it, but in your case if you say no, and select do not ask again, I don't think you should get any more message notifications.

Back