Not receiving text messages ?

LMK_CX5

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Hi all,

I just picked up my new 2014 CX-5 GT. I have an iphone 4S and am not receiving text message on the car's display. I can "download" the messages, although no messages display. There are messages (read and unread) on my iphone. Does anyone have this working? What am I missing? Other USB functionality (Pandora, phone calls, etc) are working fine.

Thanks!

I did not know that the text actually displays on the screen. That sounds cool. Although I recently updated the firmware of my phone and now my text to speech works with text messages receiving and replying. I have a windows phone.

The iPhone doesn't support message streaming. I hope Apple gets with the program.

Since we are on the topic of smartphone and message streaming, how about android user? did you guys get it to work? I'm using a nexus 4, i'm not sure how i can make it work along with Pandora.

Thanks for your help

I am having the same issue too with my iPhone5. Salesman said it can even convert txt into voice, I guess iPhone 5 does not stream txt through Bluetooth. Hopefully the next OS update will fix it.

I have the iPhone 4 (ios 6.1) and got the 2014 CX-5 GS about 3 days before they were "released" due to a shipping error :). I just stumbled upon the message feature when I noticed a little mail icon next to my bluetooth status. I chose the option to download the message, and after a success notification on the screen, the window was blank. I looked online here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647
and found that iPhone 4 supports MAP (message access profile). Scroll down and read that iPhone requires the device (Mazda) to support encryption for this to work. So that's my question at this point, does the CX-5 support encryption?

The iPhone doesn't support message streaming. I hope Apple gets with the program.
Andor, just wondering where you got this info? Maybe you know more about it than I.

Hope this helps. I really really want this feature to work. My settings are all correct and the Mazda even teases me with notifications...

Nick

I'm having the same problem. I get a notification when I get a message on my phone to the touchscreen. I tell it to go ahead and download but nothing will download. I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD and the sales guy told me it would work no problem. Go figure...anything for a buck.
So, I'm with everyone else. Ideas? btw, I have Jellybean updated & I agree with Norkamus. It's a MAP issue with phone.

I was actually more inclined to think it is the Mazda that is at fault. It is Apples' job to make their phone work with the MAP protocol, it is the job of Mazda to make MAP work with many phone manufacturers' implementations (and interpretations) of it. Lot's of room for error.

iPhone says it uses encryption with MAP. Perhaps the CX-5 doesn't support encryption. So it get's a notification that a message is ready, but then errors when it tries to receive it. Maybe if a Mazda tech plugs in, they could confirm an error of this type?

As a side note, just FYI, this problem applies to my iPhone 4 in a couple different situations:
1) jailbroken at iOs 5.1,
2) Apple authentic at iOs 6.1 (updated to try to fix this problem)
3) Re jailbroken at iOs 6.1 (couldn't take having regular iOs any longer)

Nick

Last edited:
I have a Galaxy S3, and I am able to download messages. Honestly it isn't as useful as I would like - at least from what I can tell so far - because I have to manually press the download button on the screen, and then press the icon for it to read the message. I have yet to figure out a way to get it to do this through voice control, or via the steering wheel. It makes the safety lock on the TomTom laughable, since it requires you moving your eyes off of the road and reaching over - hardly better than looking at your phone.

Wow that's awesome for 2014 - if the downloading worked :)
On my 2013, I am ok not having the message notification or download, but what is really frustrating is that I used to dictate many of my email drafts while driving (directly into the phone, not through Bluetooth) -- but now since it's connected to Mazda Bluetooth, it has become impossible to do. My iPhone 4S cannot handle dictating through the car speakers - very inaccurate, but when I switch to device only, it simply doesn't work.. Arghh.

Can't see Messages at all on mine, the message tab does not light up, it stay grey. I have a 1st Generation HTC Droid Incredible, it does not have MAP (Message Access Profile) capability. It seems as though most of the last years phones have this capability.

Have the same problem here with an iPhone 5. Thought it was coz it's jailbroken but this thread confirms otherwise. Thanks.

I have messed with accessibility and other message features on my iphone 5 and now I get a message on my tomtom in my 2014 CX-5 GT that asks me to download the message, I do but when it goes back to the screen where the message is supposed to be there is still nothing. I am now also able to tap download messages and it shows as successful but nothing shows either. Hopefully there is some type of fix for this.

Last edited:
Galaxy S3 user here and the text messaging in my CX5 worked for about the 1st 2 weeks. Now it says 'downloading complete' but i can't view or listen to the text. Any suggestions?

I think it's a combination of the iPhone and firmware in the CX5. The reason I say this is I have a 2011 BMW 328 and I can receive and play both text an emails with an iPhone 5. The only quirk with emails is the mail app can not be running in the background for emails to work. When I get in the car I double click the home button and make sure only the mail app is closed, the text app has no issue with this. I did try this in the CX5, but as stated it tells you that you have a text message, but when you download it nothings there. It's still kind on useful as when I reach the next stop light I can quickly read and reply to the text.

I have the droid razr maxx and have had intermittent luck with it working. Its a cool feature, when it works, although, a bit slow.... I do have to say, maybe 2 out of 10 times it works. The other times, it simply states cannot download message. Now, for me, this is the biggest problem.... I wish it would either work or not.... dont work some of the time and make me think it will work the next time... It does take a lot of time for it to tell me that it isnt going to download. Its much easier just pulling out the phone and looking. Suprisingly, the robotic voice does a pretty decent job reading the messages. I will be updating to a new phone tomorrow and will see if maybe its just a phone issue.

You can find this same thread on virtually every auto maker's forums. The implementation of the messaging protocol is so variable across the phones and the cars, that very few combinations seem to work. The only phone I've seen work well with nearly all cars is the Blackberry. In newer versions of iOS and Android, the updates seem to break more things than they fix with regards to Bluetooth MAP support.

Back