Next Gen CX-5

Mazda Europe made some comments regarding the next Generation CX-5. I wonder if this means the CX-5 will become a cross between a CUV and wagon. This probably makes some sense with the CX-50 gradually taking over the CX-5 market in the US. The next gen CX-5 would then focus on the needs of non-US markets.

The question mark faces the future of the Mazda CX-5. We believe that the successor of this model should be a proposal for both CX-5 customers and people who use Mazda 6 today. We will not leave anyone without a reasonable option, and we know the customers of Mazda 6 very well.

If they want to serve Mazda 6 customers, give them a Mazda 6.

I'd like to see a CX-5 that is taller then the CX-50, and has a plug-in hybrid power train and higher towing capacity.

I'm fine if that turns out to be the CX-70, but afraid the CX-70 will be too big and/or ugly like the CX-60

Sounds like maybe a crossover coupe. I’d love that. More focused on handling and aesthetics rather than off roading and interior volume.

Cx-5 Is not going anywhere, even Mazda stated that as well, CX-50 appeals more to adventurous off road type customers. I like the look of the CX-50 but size wise and cost wise not for me and also it's a brand new model first year run that's being built in Alabama and not Japan is also a no for me, lol.

it has arleady been agreed upon that the 50 doesn't have the driving dynamics of the 5. IMO when it is replaced it will be with another sporty-ish crossover

CX-5 uses multi-link rear suspension, CX-50 uses torsion beam in the rear.
CX-5 has smaller rear rotors (11.9") compared to the CX-50's 12.8" in the rear, resulting in a 6ft improvement in braking distance according to C&D's findings.
CX-5 is faster to 60 at 6.1s, while the CX-50 gets there in 6.6s.
I could not find roadholding spec of the CX-5, but the CX-50 measured in at 0.87g.

Well, we certainly know there are differences in the suspension, but *I've* never seen it compared unfavorably with the 5 in driving dynamics. In fact, with stiffer springs on the 50, I'd expect it to be a touch better - even with the torsion bar, that Mazda says was put in for more consistent feedback in turns (believe that or not :) )

As for the 0-60 times, that's a function of power/torque and weight. Given the two cars have the same engine & power, and that the 50 is a barely 60ibs heavier, I'd say those figures are more likely car to car variations.

The best way for any individual person to see if there is a notable difference is to test drive both on the same roads, back to back. The longer wheelbase alone has me thinking that the CX-50 would be a slightly better highway cruiser compared to the CX-5.

I do find it strange that the CX-50 was tested to be half a second slower to 60 compared to the CX-5, but that could be a number of things like aerodynamics, tire performance, wheel weight, maybe even transmission tuning.

Well, we certainly know there are differences in the suspension, but *I've* never seen it compared unfavorably with the 5 in driving dynamics. In fact, with stiffer springs on the 50, I'd expect it to be a touch better - even with the torsion bar, that Mazda says was put in for more consistent feedback in turns (believe that or not :) )

As for the 0-60 times, that's a function of power/torque and weight. Given the two cars have the same engine & power, and that the 50 is a barely 60ibs heavier, I'd say those figures are more likely car to car variations.
Consistency around a corner isn’t what the cx5 is about though, it’s about fun, feedback, chuckability, etc. They both drive great but the 5 is more classic mazda (in my opinion from test driving the 50 twice and owning the 5)

IMHO,
CX-50 is a Mazda trying to be a Subaru.
1st attempt from Mazda.

CX-5 is the best effort from Mazda today when I compare it to my Mazda3 and Mazda6.
It has the best package for general consumers. No wonder it sells.
It just needs an auto transmission that is more than 6-speed for better EPA rating.
The new 8-speed on the CX-60 should elevate it.

The best way for any individual person to see if there is a notable difference is to test drive both on the same roads, back to back. The longer wheelbase alone has me thinking that the CX-50 would be a slightly better highway cruiser compared to the CX-5.
I did exactly that with the turbo models and those 20" wheels on the 50 are not designed for a comfortable ride. The 19-inchers on the 5, coupled with the better rear suspension, give it the advantage on the highway. I couldn't really tell much difference in the wheelbase from the drivers seat except that the 50 had a bit sharper handling possibly due to those larger wheels and lower-profile tires.

I'll re-word it. No review publication says that it compares favorably with the CX-5 in driving dynamics. - that's what they agree on
OK, can you point those out to me please? The C&D test says they are pretty much the same.

I'm not trying to defend the CX-50 here, I just honestly want to know.

The C&D test says they are pretty much the same....
Agreed. While there is a difference it's not significant enough for someone to make the choice on handling alone. The 5's taller COG would hamstring its upper limits somewhat around corners but it's superior rear suspension should allow for more composure over less than smooth pavement. Either one could be tweaked with aftermarket suspension bits to tune it to the owners preferences. For me the biggest plus of the 5 is the open airy cabin and higher quality materials and fit & finish.

I'd like to see a CX-5 that is taller then the CX-50, and has a plug-in hybrid power train and higher towing capacity.

Hybrids rarely, or never, pay for themselves and I want nothing to do with one. One large Lexus SUV hybrid had a 120 year pay-off. No.

I'm fine if that turns out to be the CX-70, but afraid the CX-70 will be too big and/or ugly like the CX-60

Mazda Europe says a CX-5 2.0 (same cooling system, smaller engine) is good for towing up to 4,400 pounds. The 2,000 pound rating on their US lineup of 2.5 or 2.5T vehicles is lower than it should be.

1660523163143.png

Back