Off Topic New Vehicle Time

Any reasons you are only considering SUVs? The CX-5 is such a small SUV in its category, you can probably find a sportier sedan or hatch with more or equivalent passenger space and just as good cargo space.

Based in your interest in handling and acceleration, i would gravitate towards a sedan rather than an SUV.

Any reasons you are only considering SUVs? The CX-5 is such a small SUV in its category, you can probably find a sportier sedan or hatch with more or equivalent passenger space and just as good cargo space.

Based in your interest in handling and acceleration, i would gravitate towards a sedan rather than an SUV.
This is my neighborhood:
20210216_063358 (1).jpg

Sounds like ideally you want something with a capable AWD system and decent ground clearance, and room for hauling stuff. Something that is fairly quick and handles well, with good reliability and a decent dealership experience. Additionally, something that saves you money in fuel as well. I think the last point makes the search much more difficult. Would you consider a Tesla SUV? Or an Audi Q4 eTron or Q5 TFSI e? Reliability is a bigger concern with those, but it seems that some compromise is necessary.

A CX-5 turbo checks the most boxes. Most of the shortcomings can be overcome with aftermarket additions (tires, JB4).

Terry at BMS has been successful with getting MAF control working on the CX-5, CX-9 and Mazda6. $670 USD would get you an extra 46 whp and 68 lb-ft of torque on a bone stock engine fueled with 91 octane, once he's got the correct connectors manufactured. It would certainly be quick, but you'd be back to spending more money on gas, which was one of the big reasons you moved to the Prime, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
The Stelvio really doesn't hold its value like a Mazda or Toyota. Just check out the Autotrader used listings. Autotrader - page unavailable

MDX is wasted space for my use. RDX has a fair bit of complaint online, and is slower to boot. XT5 just gets terrible reviews from everyone. R4P I have now is basically a Lexus 450h+ top trim, drivetrain wise already. Stelvio I test drove was very forgettable, and dealer is 200mi away. Macan base is no faster than cx5. Macan S gets you Porsche headaches, cost, and long trips to the dealer again. Qx50 is lame. Gv70 isnt any faster in 2.5T, and in 3.5T is $70k. Also unknown reliability. The Q5 is barely faster, but again Audi maintenance and lack of dealer. AMG 35 GLE is a true step up, but maintenance would cost me $300/mo, amortized for 30k mi per year (yes, its literally that stoopid. $399 A service, $799 B service, $2k brakes every 20-30k miles on average taken from 3 AMG service reps asked, $899 trans fluid at 60k, $600 plugs at 50k, no MB will not turn AMG rotors, its a full replace, so you do the math on 30k/year. Just not worth it. (A and B service alternate every 10k mi)). The X3 and similar have VANOS failure guaranteed by about 100k miles. X3 isnt much step up, x3 m40i...see MB maintenanceplus add VANOS failure and in the m40i, that lives between engine and firewall. Have fun. Further, a friend bought a 2021 Q5. Paid $58k. It has 22k mi now, or so. Carvana offered 35k. You buy a German car...you're trapped. Edge ST and Blazer RS arent any faster and have worse reliability. The only thing I'd really get excited over would be an RDX Type S with Acuras 3.0T like in the TLX and MDX Type S.

What else is there besides the CX-5 that's as good a value? It's not perfect but the CX-5 has a quiet, luxury interior, top reliability rankings (based on multiple sources), and good ride/handling at a price point below most of the luxury competitors. Seems like you could have a CX-5 Turbo AWD and 10-15 grand in cash by selling the Prime, since you don't seem to like it as much as the CX-5. I'd also consider the CX-9 if you'd consider a more expensive and larger alternative.

Very nice neighborhood!

This thread really shows how good of a package the mazda SUVs are right now. I don’t have any other recommendations to make, sounds like you already checked all the options. My only recommendation would be to go out and test drive more models, as you found out with testing the stelvio, numbers and reviews aren’t everything.

The ford edge you mentionned isn’t faster, but it is significantly larger in interior space. Depends what you need or want. Reliability will be a bit lower but not crazy terrible (breaks more but parts are cheaper).

That being said, I used to own a ford edge before my CX-9. I liked it very much, but I never loved it. But I love my CX-9, even though it is smaller inside, has A pillar blind spot and worst infotainment system, etc. There are only a few cars where all the components come together to make a car that feels coherent and better than it is on paper. In my opinion these last generation of mazda SUVs have that, and to me that makes them hard to compete with. Porsche also has that special coherence to them, you should try out a macan, don’t discount it only based on acceleration numbers. (Altough price wise they are far from a value proposition).

I am not helping with other choices, i think you already did all the research and seems like even though you had gripes with your previous CX-5, it is pretty much the best package available at this time for your performance and reliability needs.

Sounds like ideally you want something with a capable AWD system and decent ground clearance, and room for hauling stuff. Something that is fairly quick and handles well, with good reliability and a decent dealership experience. Additionally, something that saves you money in fuel as well. I think the last point makes the search much more difficult. Would you consider a Tesla SUV? Or an Audi Q4 eTron or Q5 TFSI e? Reliability is a bigger concern with those, but it seems that some compromise is necessary.

A CX-5 turbo checks the most boxes. Most of the shortcomings can be overcome with aftermarket additions (tires, JB4).

Terry at BMS has been successful with getting MAF control working on the CX-5, CX-9 and Mazda6. $670 USD would get you an extra 46 whp and 68 lb-ft of torque on a bone stock engine fueled with 91 octane, once he's got the correct connectors manufactured. It would certainly be quick, but you'd be back to spending more money on gas, which was one of the big reasons you moved to the Prime, if I'm not mistaken.
Reliability with those as well as the tuned CX5 is an issue, but I drive a bit less now since I changed roles at work.

The Stelvio really doesn't hold its value like a Mazda or Toyota. Just check out the Autotrader used listings. Autotrader - page unavailable

What else is there besides the CX-5 that's as good a value? It's not perfect but the CX-5 has a quiet, luxury interior, top reliability rankings (based on multiple sources), and good ride/handling at a price point below most of the luxury competitors. Seems like you could have a CX-5 Turbo AWD and 10-15 grand in cash by selling the Prime, since you don't seem to like it as much as the CX-5. I'd also consider the CX-9 if you'd consider a more expensive and larger alternative.
The Stelvio I drove didn't really do a whole lot the CX5 didn't, and it felt laggier and less crisp in general. I'm sure it pushes less under neutral corner entry, but...okay...

The CX5 is large enough by far. The Edge, my ex gf had one, very poor quality vehicle. As noted, the ST isn't any faster.

Macan is a maintenance ***** and closest dealer is 200+mi

I drove a 2019 RDX. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I am probably going to put money down on a 2022 A-Spec Advance tomorrow. It had none of the lagginess the Stelvio had, and was much more engaging to drive. Whether it is ultimately faster or not than the CX5, I do not know, but it also had none of the lagginess from a stop light that a CX5 has, so maybe there's that, lol! Anyway, just a very well put together package. I chose to drive a 3 year old model because I wanted to know "what goes to crap with time/miles?" and nothing really did. Everything seemed new to me.

I drove a 2019 RDX. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I am probably going to put money down on a 2022 A-Spec Advance tomorrow. It had none of the lagginess the Stelvio had, and was much more engaging to drive. Whether it is ultimately faster or not than the CX5, I do not know, but it also had none of the lagginess from a stop light that a CX5 has, so maybe there's that, lol! Anyway, just a very well put together package. I chose to drive a 3 year old model because I wanted to know "what goes to crap with time/miles?" and nothing really did. Everything seemed new to me.
It's funny you mention the lagginess from a stop the CX-5 has. My 2014 doesn't have that at all, but it was extremely noticeable in the 2020 I tried out. It was very off putting.

It's funny you mention the lagginess from a stop the CX-5 has. My 2014 doesn't have that at all, but it was extremely noticeable in the 2020 I tried out. It was very off putting.
This is my 2015. My 2019 GT Reserve was the same. The Stelvio was not QUIIIITTTTEEE as bad, but still notable. The RDX I did not note this with.

This is my 2015. My 2019 GT Reserve was the same. The Stelvio was not QUIIIITTTTEEE as bad, but still notable. The RDX I did not note this with.
Oh you are talking stomping it. Yeah I haven't really found stomping works well with the CX-5. That said, what I did notice was acceleration from stop is much noticeably better and more immediate on my car than the 2020 I had as a loaner. It was so bad with the loaner I would put it in sport mode every time I was at a stop to compensate.

Car and Driver knows. I believe you have also quoted their comparisons when others had posted about the RDX in comparison to the CX-5 (when you owned the CX-5).

I don't really view the RDX as its class leader. Performance is lacking compared to Mazda. Reliability is "meh". If money isn't a big deal, I'd say the M40i or GLC43 AMG would be the class leaders, but once you start tacking "money" into the equation, I automatically must say that reliability is in there, too. Frugal and all. The Mazda takes the cake AND outperforms the RDX, here. They trade shots with each other for amenities.

Your signature is actually faster than your RDX in every way. It just doesn't feel that way because your RDX had boatloads of lag and felt "peaky", while the CX5 has a ton of torque and instant power and just feels "flat". It's quicker to 60 and in the 1/4 mile and 30-50 and 50-70 though...

I also found a post with some important info from a previous 2020 RDX A-spec owner (link here), that mentions the following, in addition to the limp mode issue which I think you're aware of:
  • Jerky trans/acceleration
  • Weird lull in power when coming to an almost stop
  • Exceptionally bad turbo lag
Here's the thread regarding the RDX limp issue on azine. Sounds like there is a TSB available, but support from the dealer is hard to come by, and it may also involve replacement of the intercooler?

Hopefully the issues have been addressed in the 2022 MY.

Car and Driver knows. I believe you have also quoted their comparisons when others had posted about the RDX in comparison to the CX-5 (when you owned the CX-5).

I also found a post with some important info from a previous 2020 RDX A-spec owner (link here), that mentions the following, in addition to the limp mode issue which I think you're aware of:
  • Jerky trans/acceleration
  • Weird lull in power when coming to an almost stop
  • Exceptionally bad turbo lag
Here's the thread regarding the RDX limp issue on azine. Sounds like there is a TSB available, but support from the dealer is hard to come by, and it may also involve replacement of the intercooler?

Hopefully the issues have been addressed in the 2022 MY.
I drove a 2019 and experienced none of these issues. The data doesn't lie, but there's more to it going on. The car felt strong. I do not know how to reconcile the data vs what I felt driving it, but it was significantly more fun than my cx5 was. Especially the corners.

Regarding acceleration, I do find that the transmission skips more gears than the cx5s (obviously) from a roll. This does add to the time. The way that testing is done, the cx5 will be notably faster. The shifting time matters a lot. The 30 and 50mph roll test is done in overdrive and the vehicle floored. All shifts are included in the time. This means that a vehicle that takes an extra half second to get the shifting done over another vehicle, and accelerates notably harder, may still lose this test.

This is the video that made me see the RDX in different light. I think in the real world...it hits harder. Just like in the real world, my rav4 prime actuall does 0-60 in 5.7, while my cx5 turbo took about 6.8, even thought C&D says that this is par for the Prime (counting 1ft rollout) and not at all for the cx5. My cx5 turbo taught me real world data can differ big.

How can you explain this video, given this data?
Screenshot_20220209-145704_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back