Off Topic New Vehicle Time

It’s a crap ton of money, but I’ll be considering a Rivian R1T in at least a few years. They’ll need to establish a track record though before I pay out the nose to be an early adopter of their vehicles.

Macan's are absolute money pits, AND we do not have a local Porsche dealer.
I am very into the CX70, but that will be out in 2 years or so likely. Also, I have heard numbers as low as 280bhp, and as high as 350, and we don't know the weight.

I haven't done any forum research, but a quick Google search shows that the base Macan and Macan S have pretty reliable drivetrains, with most issues occurring on the electronic side of things like infotainment. Plus a Stage 1 tune can net a pretty significant gain in power across the board. But no Porsche dealer nearby definitely rules out any Porsche for you.

It seems that the '22 CX-5 might be your best bet after all, assuming you decide not to hold onto the R4P until more details of the CX-70 are released.

I haven't done any forum research, but a quick Google search shows that the base Macan and Macan S have pretty reliable drivetrains, with most issues occurring on the electronic side of things like infotainment. Plus a Stage 1 tune can net a pretty significant gain in power across the board. But no Porsche dealer nearby definitely rules out any Porsche for you.

It seems that the '22 CX-5 might be your best bet after all, assuming you decide not to hold onto the R4P until more details of the CX-70 are released.
Its a gamble...will Inget an inferior vehicle? Or will the cx70 be a dud (Ford edge st has 335bhp/380tq. Cx5 still faster in tests), or will the cx70 engine or trans have reliability issues? The cx5 and sa 6 speed and 2.5t are all very evolved by now. Also dont forget, Mazda is shifting suplliers to outsjde if Japan for the cx70 to keep costs down. I am concerned. The cx70 first MY may or may not suck, even if its good on paper imo.

Last edited:
What about a Cadillac XT4 or the larger XT5? They look great and have a similar grill design as Mazda (almost a copy). The XT4 is probably under powered with the 2 litre engine, but the XT5 can be had with a V6.
Then there's Acura's MDX and RDX, as well as Lexus to look at.
I'd stay away from Volvo's as they have a poor reliability record.
Tough decisions. There's no perfect vehicle out there it seems.
Maybe go for the Rolls Royce Cullinan, or the Lambo Urus? Personally, I'd like an Aston Martin DBX, but I digress.

What about a Cadillac XT4 or the larger XT5? They look great and have a similar grill design as Mazda (almost a copy). The XT4 is probably under powered with the 2 litre engine, but the XT5 can be had with a V6.
Then there's Acura's MDX and RDX, as well as Lexus to look at.
I'd stay away from Volvo's as they have a poor reliability record.
Tough decisions. There's no perfect vehicle out there it seems.
Maybe go for the Rolls Royce Cullinan, or the Lambo Urus? Personally, I'd like an Aston Martin DBX, but I digress.
MDX is wasted space for my use. RDX has a fair bit of complaint online, and is slower to boot. XT5 just gets terrible reviews from everyone. R4P I have now is basically a Lexus 450h+ top trim, drivetrain wise already. Stelvio I test drove was very forgettable, and dealer is 200mi away. Macan base is no faster than cx5. Macan S gets you Porsche headaches, cost, and long trips to the dealer again. Qx50 is lame. Gv70 isnt any faster in 2.5T, and in 3.5T is $70k. Also unknown reliability. The Q5 is barely faster, but again Audi maintenance and lack of dealer. AMG 35 GLE is a true step up, but maintenance would cost me $300/mo, amortized for 30k mi per year (yes, its literally that stoopid. $399 A service, $799 B service, $2k brakes every 20-30k miles on average taken from 3 AMG service reps asked, $899 trans fluid at 60k, $600 plugs at 50k, no MB will not turn AMG rotors, its a full replace, so you do the math on 30k/year. Just not worth it. (A and B service alternate every 10k mi)). The X3 and similar have VANOS failure guaranteed by about 100k miles. X3 isnt much step up, x3 m40i...see MB maintenanceplus add VANOS failure and in the m40i, that lives between engine and firewall. Have fun. Further, a friend bought a 2021 Q5. Paid $58k. It has 22k mi now, or so. Carvana offered 35k. You buy a German car...you're trapped. Edge ST and Blazer RS arent any faster and have worse reliability. The only thing I'd really get excited over would be an RDX Type S with Acuras 3.0T like in the TLX and MDX Type S.

MDX is wasted space for my use. RDX has a fair bit of complaint online, and is slower to boot. XT5 just gets terrible reviews from everyone. R4P I have now is basically a Lexus 450h+ top trim, drivetrain wise already. Stelvio I test drove was very forgettable, and dealer is 200mi away. Macan base is no faster than cx5. Macan S gets you Porsche headaches, cost, and long trips to the dealer again. Qx50 is lame. Gv70 isnt any faster in 2.5T, and in 3.5T is $70k. Also unknown reliability. The Q5 is barely faster, but again Audi maintenance and lack of dealer. AMG 35 GLE is a true step up, but maintenance would cost me $300/mo, amortized for 30k mi per year (yes, its literally that stoopid. $399 A service, $799 B service, $2k brakes every 20-30k miles on average taken from 3 AMG service reps asked, $899 trans fluid at 60k, $600 plugs at 50k, no MB will not turn AMG rotors, its a full replace, so you do the math on 30k/year. Just not worth it. (A and B service alternate every 10k mi)). The X3 and similar have VANOS failure guaranteed by about 100k miles. X3 isnt much step up, x3 m40i...see MB maintenanceplus add VANOS failure and in the m40i, that lives between engine and firewall. Have fun. Further, a friend bought a 2021 Q5. Paid $58k. It has 22k mi now, or so. Carvana offered 35k. You buy a German car...you're trapped. Edge ST and Blazer RS arent any faster and have worse reliability. The only thing I'd really get excited over would be an RDX Type S with Acuras 3.0T like in the TLX and MDX Type S.
Some of your takes are rly funny and quite questionable. I am curious to see what is going to be your next car ;).

This reads like the CX90 and CX70 will be very similarly dimensionally, which is a turn off to me. It may well not be any better performing than the CX5 (think RDX vs. MDX)
For SUV shoppers who prioritize cargo room, Mazda is set to introduce the CX-70. Consider this a CX-90, but minus the third row. This is similar to the design and market positioning of the 3-row Honda Pilot and its 2-row mechanical twin, the Passport.

This will not be lighter than the CX9, I am quite suspicious, and that means overcoming a 600# weight difference at least. That would mean this inline 6 would need at least 320hp to match the CX5, and we are basically getting into Ford Edge ST territory here, which again, just matches the CX5 turbo. Factoring in the new model year, non-traditional parts sources, etc. and I am not really inclined to be interested in the CX70*.

*Assuming KBB has it right and it's a CX90 minus the 3rd row. This, direct from Mazda's website, makes me think it's absolutely accurate (color added for emphasis):
Mazda will introduce two additional Crossover SUVs built on an all-new larger platform: the three-row CX-90 and the CX-70. These models will feature Mazda’s new longitudinal architecture with new inline-six-cylinder and plug-in hybrid powertrains. This shared layout provides both vehicles Mazda’s next-level performance, handling, technology, and design.

Well, if he was, he wouldn't have bought the Rav in the first place, right?

I do find this thread quite enlightening, though. :)

Like any other car, you kind of have to drive it to see if it's right for you. Some people have specific use cases or scenarios that aren't always mentioned or tested in typical auto reviews, so regardless of how much effort someone puts into their research, there is still a good chance that a "quirk" rears it's ugly head after a few miles in the driver's seat. Perfect example is the cold weather lack of power in the 2.5T CX-5.

I figured if I didn't like it, it made me $12k, so whatever, eh? It was a decision based on finances as well as hopes Id like it.

Have you already sold the R4P? If not, it hasn't made you anything. It could potentially make you more (or less), when you do sell it/trade it in on a different vehicle.

Well, if he was, he wouldn't have bought the Rav in the first place, right?

I do find this thread quite enlightening, though. :)
Well, that was two years ago for starters. I'm guessing Mr. Unobtanium is taking his time and being more thorough this time around. (Am I somewhat correct unobtainium?)
It's also true that you need to drive a vehicle, sometimes for months, before a final verdict on the decision you made becomes apparent. Sometimes it takes years. I've bought and driven vehicles that fell on both sides of the fence. Some I regretted buying/driving, while there are others I wish I still had.

Take a little time and read some surveys that ask the question: Would you buy this vehicle again if you could?
No vehicle rates a 100% response. There are always going to be some regrets. I find going to the bottom of the list of the cars with the lowest "would you buy it again" scores to be the most telling.

Considering that a majority of new car buyers do very little, if any, research before buying, I think Mr. U is being quite thorough. As an example, my brother in law never researches a thing. Every 5-8 years he just goes out to the dealer and buys a new Honda, even though he's had problems with every single one of them. He's a more on.

As for me personally, I'm not sure how I would respond to that survey. As much as I like my 6, I'm not convinced I'd buy another one.

Obviously the OP, a real car buff IMO is doing his homework! So I guess it boils down to Turbo (previously called Grand Touring Reserve) with black only leather (no more white parchment in this trim) or Signature with Caturra brown leather...

It's also true that you need to drive a vehicle, sometimes for months, before a final verdict on the decision you made becomes apparent. Sometimes it takes years. I've bought and driven vehicles that fell on both sides of the fence. Some I regretted buying/driving, while there are others I wish I still had.
Right on! I bought a 2012 RAV Sport V6 AWD in Sept 2012 when Toyota phased out the V6 as I figured this was my last chance to get one and the discount was good. This thing was fast but when Winter came, the HD suspension that came with this trim was murder and I soon got tired of it. Also the swing out rear door was fine until a strong wind almost ripped it off. Nothing is perfect, everything is a compromise.

Back