Off Topic New TV suggestions

I haven't really tried to check signal or anything, honestly I haven't had much time with the setup at all because I was busy with the rest of the move. I just wanted to get the audio going for the kids.

Receiver is a Pioneer SC-61, I don't think it does eARC but it does have ARC. I did have it plugged into the correct ports on both TV and receiver, but after some quick Google Fu it turns out that I may not have ARC enabled on the TV, receiver, or both. Chalk it up to user error for now.

I'm pretty sure the cable I'm using is a "high-speed" cable, which should be good enough. If I do decide to get a new HDMI cable it wouldn't be a huge expense, only $14 for a 3m cable on Monoprice. But I shouldn't need one until I upgrade my receiver to one that supports eARC.

Just following up on this - sorry, it's long overdue lol!

First, the TV is nothing short of awesome. It's exactly what I wanted, looks great even in a bright room with the sunlight coming through the windows. Reflections are minimal, and glare from the sunlight is largely a non-issue due to the time of day that we do most of our TV watching. Black levels are incredible - with the lights off, if there's a pitch black scene, the TV practically disappears. In addition to all that, the TV is quite fast. Navigating through menus and starting up apps is very smooth and quick. Swapping from Netflix to Crave to YouTube is seamless. Well worth the $2200 CAD price tag, IMO. I used rtings' calibration settings and I think they're spot on.

I did figure out the HDMI audio issue, turns out I didn't have ARC enabled in the receiver's settings, lol. Oops! It's working now, but I think my receiver may be on the way out as every once in a while, when I turn the TV on, I have no audio until I turn the receiver off and on again. Also, I got a used subwoofer and either the subwoofer's amplifier is faulty or again, there is an issue with the receiver. It seems to cut out every once in a while. I may be upgrading my receiver sooner rather than later it seems.

Edit: Picture of the setup to follow once we get our furniture situation settled :)

Very nice. I snagged a 48" C1 for $790 last week and should get it in by the end of next week. Looking forward to it. Wife talked me into it. I really should have just bought that one for $650 I had the opportunity to get. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

20220721_121115.jpg

20220721_121241.jpg

Black levels with all room lights off at night:
20220721_234439.jpg

Perfect size for the space, too. I always tell people "Don't buy the biggest thing you can afford" which most people do. Buy something that FITS YOUR SPACE.

Perfect size for the space, too. I always tell people "Don't buy the biggest thing you can afford" which most people do. Buy something that FITS YOUR SPACE.

Yeah, that's one thing I was worried about with the size, I thought 65" might have been too big, but it seems to fit just fine for our tastes. A 55" in that corner probably would have been just a tiny bit too small.

We watched Thirteen Lives last night on Amazon Prime TV. It looked really good!! Lots of detail in the dark cave scenes. Compared to the old Samsung, the black levels are just amazing.

What the Alice movie with Johnny Depp. GORGEOUS!
Yea, if you had gone any bigger it wouldn't fit the corner I think. It would have to be along that wall. That would screw up your feng shui you got going on there. :D
Looks perfect that way.

Yeah, that's one thing I was worried about with the size, I thought 65" might have been too big, but it seems to fit just fine for our tastes. A 55" in that corner probably would have been just a tiny bit too small.

We watched Thirteen Lives last night on Amazon Prime TV. It looked really good!! Lots of detail in the dark cave scenes. Compared to the old Samsung, the black levels are just amazing.
Yeah one advantage of OLED. All he pixels are individually self lit so blacks are literally just pixels that are off. Compare this to traditional LCD with backlight zones and you never really get a true black because of backlight bleed.

I have really been enjoying my 48" C1 as a desktop gaming monitor as well as for watching TV/movies. I set it to game optimizer to get 120Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time, turn on HDR, and man is it gorgeous.

Yeah one advantage of OLED. All he pixels are individually self lit so blacks are literally just pixels that are off. Compare this to traditional LCD with backlight zones and you never really get a true black because of backlight bleed.

I have really been enjoying my 48" C1 as a desktop gaming monitor as well as for watching TV/movies. I set it to game optimizer to get 120Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time, turn on HDR, and man is it gorgeous.

It's really great that these TVs are becoming more and more affordable. Last week I was at Costco and saw that they were selling the C1 for $200 less than the price I got it for. I may try some buy/return shenanigans to get that $200 back since their price-correction policy is only 30 days. I really want to get my dad to upgrade, he's still got a 50" Panasonic plasma from like 2002 that just refuses to die, lol.

It's really great that these TVs are becoming more and more affordable. Last week I was at Costco and saw that they were selling the C1 for $200 less than the price I got it for. I may try some buy/return shenanigans to get that $200 back since their price-correction policy is only 30 days. I really want to get my dad to upgrade, he's still got a 50" Panasonic plasma from like 2002 that just refuses to die, lol.
A plasma from 2002? That's amazing. It still works, doesn't have burn in?

My bedroom plasma is at least that old, too.

I want to hook up my PC to my OLED but I am afraid it will make me never want to disconnect it. :D

My bedroom plasma is at least that old, too.

I want to hook up my PC to my OLED but I am afraid it will make me never want to disconnect it. :D
That is exactly what the problem will be. I'll get a pic here soon and show you my setup.

So the TV has actually dropped in price since we bought it. Because Costco's price matching policy is only 30 days, we couldn't get a price correction done. Since the return period is 90 days, we just bought the same TV at the current sale price, then walked over to the Returns desk and returned the TV using the old receipt. Saved $210 with a quick little Costco trip, and now we have another 90 day grace period in case the price drops again, which should carry us through Black Friday (y)

So the TV has actually dropped in price since we bought it. Because Costco's price matching policy is only 30 days, we couldn't get a price correction done. Since the return period is 90 days, we just bought the same TV at the current sale price, then walked over to the Returns desk and returned the TV using the old receipt. Saved $210 with a quick little Costco trip, and now we have another 90 day grace period in case the price drops again, which should carry us through Black Friday (y)
Oh that's awesome. Yeah C2 have been out for a bit so C1s have been dropping. I'd imagine you can get some more off in the next 90 days.

Back