Off Topic New TV suggestions

I had a chance to buy a gently used 48" LG C1 this weekend for like $650, but I ended up passing. Wasn't ready to drop that on a TV with other financial priorities at the moment, and since I want to use it as a monitor, thinking the newer 42" C2 is going to fit better with my desk, maybe when they come down in price.

Bro, that's like a $1,000 TV. Never find a deal that good again. ;)

Oh damn, everything I've ever heard, you aren't ever supposed to lay large flat screens down!

Bro, that's like a $1,000 TV. Never find a deal that good again. ;)
Yeah but at the same time wasn't exactly what I wanted, since looking to use it as a monitor for the new desktop. As a TV, sure. We don't actually have a TV.

If it's in its original box and packaging, it'll be fine. Just don't do any off-roading on the way home.

Yep. I used to sell LCD and LED TVs and it's ok to transport them that way as long as the TV is in the original packaging. It was always advised to place the TV face up if laying it flat.

I'm glad I kept the boxes for my 7yr old Sammy and my smaller 9yr old Sony. They should make moving them to the new house much easier.

Oh damn, everything I've ever heard, you aren't ever supposed to lay large flat screens down!
That's really not true. I've done it many times. This is the typical "We don't trust you to not eff this up". There is absolutely zero harm to laying a TV, even out of the box, face down on a PROPER SURFACE. Like the floor, or the bed.
However you know some moron set his tv facedown on the kitchen table and part of it was hanging off the edge. Some people need to be told this is a bad idea. So instead of saying "If you lay the TV face down make sure it is in an area that won't scratch your screen and the entire TV is fully supported" they just say "Don't do it ever".
Although my TV clearly said to do that to attach the feet.

I'll post a better picture of the space once it's cleaned up a bit more. I think I also need to get a better HDMI cable at some point, for some reason I couldn't get the audio going to the receiver until I plugged in an optical cable. Probably going to source the cable from Monoprice.

I still have to play with the TV a bit and calibrate a few things, but it looks better than my other TV already, so I'm very happy with it. Just gotta wait a few weeks for our couches to come in, then I can really enjoy it :giggle:

A few questions:
Is it passing more than just a stereo PCM signal using the optical cable?
Does your receiver support eARC, or at least ARC? If so, did you plug into the right HDMI ports on both the TV and the receiver? I'm sure your HDMI cable is not the issue. HDMI cables are more important for passing video, like 4k@60Hz and such.

Agreed. And you absolutely do NOT need to spend a lot on an HDMI cable. An Amazon Basics one is just fine.

A few questions:
Is it passing more than just a stereo PCM signal using the optical cable?
Does your receiver support eARC, or at least ARC? If so, did you plug into the right HDMI ports on both the TV and the receiver? I'm sure your HDMI cable is not the issue. HDMI cables are more important for passing video, like 4k@60Hz and such.

I haven't really tried to check signal or anything, honestly I haven't had much time with the setup at all because I was busy with the rest of the move. I just wanted to get the audio going for the kids.

Receiver is a Pioneer SC-61, I don't think it does eARC but it does have ARC. I did have it plugged into the correct ports on both TV and receiver, but after some quick Google Fu it turns out that I may not have ARC enabled on the TV, receiver, or both. Chalk it up to user error for now.

I'm pretty sure the cable I'm using is a "high-speed" cable, which should be good enough. If I do decide to get a new HDMI cable it wouldn't be a huge expense, only $14 for a 3m cable on Monoprice. But I shouldn't need one until I upgrade my receiver to one that supports eARC.

Well unless the cable is downright busted/defective, shouldn't be the cable. It's a digital signal, not analog, so a cable is a cable whether you spent $5 or $50 on it.

Well unless the cable is downright busted/defective, shouldn't be the cable. It's a digital signal, not analog, so a cable is a cable whether you spent $5 or $50 on it.
For audio I agree, but when it comes to higher res video like 4k@60Hz+, you need to do your research. Length of cable is also a big factor.

For audio I agree, but when it comes to higher res video like 4k@60Hz+, you need to do your research. Length of cable is also a big factor.
Sure but that's like talking cables going across a room into another room territory.

Not really, more like the difference between 6' and 12'. I went through this a couple times mounting TV's. But remember, I'm talking about the difference between 4k/60Hz and 4k/30Hz type scenario.
Ah, gotcha.

Good call on the LG. (y) From the research I did, only Sony can touch them and they're almost twice the price. We also bought an LG recently (got lucky and found a CX), and holy crap it was an upgrade from our old 1080.

With the LG and the PS5, Red Dead Redemption 2 looks like a fricken' Tarantino movie now. I didn't expect the speakers to bump like this either.

Congrats!

Back