New STF SCCA Class Thread

I don't see anything that says you can't. The only thing I see is piggybacks must be inline with the PCM.

88 — 2012 sCCa naTional solo Rules
F. The engine management system parameters and operation may be
modified only via the methods listed below. These allowances also
apply to forced induction cars, except that no changes to standard
boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted. Boost
changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifications are permis-
sible, but directly altering or modifying the boost or turbo controls,
either mechanically or electronically, is strictly prohibited. Traction
control parameters may not be altered. Any standard OBD commu-
nications port functionality must remain. The Check Engine Light
(CEL) or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) may be disabled via soft-
ware. Alternate software maps which violate these restrictions may
not be present during competition, regardless of activation.
1. Reprogrammed ECU (via hardware and/or software) may be used
in the standard housing.
2. Supplementary (“Piggyback”) ECU may be used subject to the
following restrictions:
a. Connects between the standard ECU/PCM and its wiring har-
ness only.
b. Must be plug-compatible with the standard ECU/PCM (no splic-
es).
3. Electronic components may be installed in-line between an en-
gine’s sensors and ECU. These components may alter the signal
coming from the sensor in order to affect the ECU’s operation of
engine management system. Example: fuel controllers that modi-
fy the signal coming from an airflow sensor.
4. Fuel pressure regulators may be replaced in lieu of electronic al-
terations to the fuel system. It is not permitted to electronically
modify the fuel system AND replace a fuel pressure regulator.
5. Ignition timing may be set at any point on factory adjustable dis-
tributor ignition systems.
6. VTEC controllers and other devices may be used which alter the
timing of factory standard electronic variable valve timing systems.

I was always under the impression that unless a modification is specifically stated, it cannot be done.

That's generally what I assumed as well otherwise someone would mount a rocket to the top of the 2 because the rules didnt say you couldnt ;-)

At the pro solo

Best tree .555 and fastest 60' 2.392

Right on target with andy gonna be fun tomorrow

Andy car is so flat he won Stf pro solo and the shoot out

Besides a slight detail.... he is one of the fastest autocrossers in the country. Derrin Dissimo beat me by more than 2 seconds last Sunday on my own car. Some people are Aliens..

Good luck today

Andres

Yea Dissimo is a great driver. I grew up down there and raced in the same region (I moved to the atlanta area in '06). Excellent group down in the miami area.

Besides a slight detail.... he is one of the fastest autocrossers in the country. Derrin Dissimo beat me by more than 2 seconds last Sunday on my own car. Some people are Aliens..

Good luck today

Andres

not taking a thing away from Andy, but I feel I was out carred not out classed. We'll see at a later date. When I have tires and stiffer suspension.

not taking a thing away from Andy, but I feel I was out carred not out classed. We'll see at a later date. When I have tires and stiffer suspension.

Quoting this for posterity. :)

Bring it, Erv!

:)

--Andy

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that unless a modification is specifically stated, it cannot be done.

This.

The rulebook is written as a series of allowances, each with attendant restrictions. So you first find the general allowance that covers the mod you want to do. Then, you see if any of the associated restrictions applies.

In the case of ECU relocation, there is no allowance for doing so.

If you want a similar example, there *is* an allowance for battery relocation, with a few associated restrictions. If ECU relo were allowed, there'd be something similar. But there isn't. So leave it in the OE position.

Oh yeah...one more thing from the weekend.

I can unequivocably state that 50 lbs is equal to 2 tenths on a Tour course.

Turns out I failed to completely empty my car when brought it to grid on Monday. Ann and I both heard a clunking sound on course, but figured it was just the surface break-up. Just before my third run I noticed the two mounted tires and my water sprayer still stuffed into the hatch area. I removed them and went 2 tenths faster.

I hate getting old... (braindead

My codriver went almost a sec faster with our sprayer in the back during the pro, vids to come...

At the silverdome I had to embarrasingly tell the passenger not to worry about that clunking sound as I remembered I had forgot to take out the torque wrench from, the hatch....and Im 31!

I hope one day, when I get as old as you guys, I retain my memory. Which isn't to say I have a good one =/

Maybe I'll give this auto-cross thing a try.

Injen installed. Got a nice "new customer" discount from AutoAnything.

Also found that the K Sport front springs (280 lbs) will fit the rear, and should make a good slick surface alternative to the 500's I normally run back there. Car was undriveably loose in the moist first-run conditions on Day 1 of the Blytheville Tour. Next time we'll run the 280's with the rear bar disconnected. That should work better.

Injen installed. Got a nice "new customer" discount from AutoAnything.

Also found that the K Sport front springs (280 lbs) will fit the rear, and should make a good slick surface alternative to the 500's I normally run back there. Car was undriveably loose in the moist first-run conditions on Day 1 of the Blytheville Tour. Next time we'll run the 280's with the rear bar disconnected. That should work better.

You gonna be at peru? Im not sure I'll make it yet but gonna try. I think tires would have helped you cope with the rain it was more than slick for me due to no tires at all I actually posted a vid on youtube called wet v moist of day 1 at the tour.

Don't have the link right now but check out my channel.
Www.youtube.com/mazda2autox

Back