New Mazdaspeed3

The big question is whether it will be available with an automatic transmission. Currently, only the WRX has that option. The GTI does, but its power falls short. The Golf R is much more expensive.

Yeah, looks totally legit.

I'm not falling for it. It's not like Mazda hasn't failed to deliver in the past :p

I'll take it with a bag of salt..... the new Miata's a disappointment in my book since its barely lighter than the current gen and all they did with the 2.0-liter is turn it into a north-south layout. I doubt they'll be able to deliver a MS3 that'll suit my tastes. Until they put the 2.5-liter SA-G in the CX-3, make a more powerful Miata, and actually make a more powerful engine to match their cars' great handling, not interested.

MAZDA has no turbo version of SA-G now.
Turbo-2.5G is needed for Mazda Speed3 (or Speed6) and CX9.
It makes sense for Mazda to put the engine in the Speed3 first before CX9. (Speed6 is still undecided at the point)
For MX-5, I also think that 2.5G should be more proper for the US.
In other parts of the world where they charge vehicle tax by displacement, 2.0G is more popular.
For a 2200lb vehicle, 155hp (actually 165hp with 14:1) is sufficient for many.
New MX-5s production has started in Japan.

Looks to me, Speed3 is a coming end of this year as 2016.

I'll take it with a bag of salt..... the new Miata's a disappointment in my book since its barely lighter than the current gen and all they did with the 2.0-liter is turn it into a north-south layout. I doubt they'll be able to deliver a MS3 that'll suit my tastes. Until they put the 2.5-liter SA-G in the CX-3, make a more powerful Miata, and actually make a more powerful engine to match their cars' great handling, not interested.

The new MX5 (ND) is 200 lbs lighter than the 3rd gen (NC). That's just a bit less than a 10% reduction in weight, which is fairly significant. The US rule of thumb is that the new car doesn't need to have a more powerful engine, but it DOES need to be faster than the previous generation. At 165 HP, the ND should be, as long as gearing in the first 5 gears is similar. 6th gear should be for low RPM cruising and high(er) economy, IMO.
Remember too, that the ND is smaller than the NC. A 2.5L engine would've been very difficult to shoe-horn in the engine bay. Besides, there are many 2.0 liter engines out there that produce over 250 HP. Heck, Mercedes has a hot hatch with 2.0 that pumps out over 340 HP (26 psi boost).

Its 155 hp /148 lb-ft of torque and weighs 2332 lbs with the manual and 2382 lbs with the auto. http://www.longlivetheroadster.com/#photos-videos
We'll see what the numbers are later down the line but surely I won't be replacing my 3 S with this and if Mazda's not going to put out a more powerful performance car outside the MX-5 I'll go elsewhere. Preferrably with an auto since their unit is really a very nice balance and it doesn't have that weirdness that comes with some DCTs.

Isn't this just more speculation?
I've been hearing speculation since 2008, about future MS models.

An MS/MPS 3 rejuvenation wouldn't be a huge surprise. The gen 1 and 2 were at least moderately successful for Mazda. For the 6, however, I'll believe it when I see it.
The original MS6 was an abysmal sales failure. It didn't acquire it's somewhat niche, cult status until much later.

As for the Miata, that would also not come as a surprise. After all, the MS Protege and MS Miata were the two to start it all!

Isn't this just more speculation?
I've been hearing speculation since 2008, about future MS models.

An MS/MPS 3 rejuvenation wouldn't be a huge surprise. The gen 1 and 2 were at least moderately successful for Mazda. For the 6, however, I'll believe it when I see it.
The original MS6 was an abysmal sales failure. It didn't acquire it's somewhat niche, cult status until much later.

As for the Miata, that would also not come as a surprise. After all, the MS Protege and MS Miata were the two to start it all!

Considering Mazda has divorced itself from Ford since the last MS3s and is better positioned to actually compete with the Focus ST and, more importantly, the upcoming Focus RS (rather than the 3 being the Focus' awkward cousin), I have a hunch Mazda will actually make good on the rumors for a Gen 3 MS3/MPS in the near future. As for exactly when, I'm not taking anything as 100% truth until I see a press release or similar from Mazda.

The hot hatch market has been picking up in the U.S. since we've been getting the Fiesta/Focus ST and the Mk 6 & 7 VW GTI. I think Mazda will be missing a great opportunity to flex their engineering muscles with the new SkyActiv platform if they don't make a fast version of the 3. A new Mazdaspeed MX-5 wouldn't go amiss either, I think.

...although the last MS MX5 was not exactly a big success, either. Focus and Fiesta STs are piling up on the dealer lots for 2 reasons - no auto trans and poor reliability. Mazda has a handle on reliability so it's the auto trans that is badly needed. Heck, even the new Z06 is available with auto trans.

I really think Mazda has a good thing going with their new transmissions. I'm sure they'll need to be strengthened to handle the extra power, but they can do it. One of the reasons I love Mazda so much is because they won't exclude manual transmissions in most of their lineup either...at least not for awhile. I know there's no manual at the moment in the CX-3 or the CX-9, but they at least offer it in their volume sellers. If there's one thing Mazda has almost always done well, it's manual gearboxes. As long as they don't forget that going forward, I'm good with an auto in the new Speed3/MPS and MS MX-5.

Edit: A couple other points I was thinking of after writing this. I think Ford's reliability issue is all the more reason for Mazda to pounce and bring out the next-gen Mazdaspeed cars. Mainly because people who took notice of the Fiesta/Focus ST's poor reliability and lack of automatic transmissions sacrificed the few extra G's to get the Golf GTI instead. This is a prime opportunity for Mazda to bring in cars priced competitively with Fords that will not only drive as well (if not better) than the Fords, but also be more reliable.

I know Mazda has racing heritage in the current generation with the it's diesel 6 Grand-Am racer. Mazda has great track racing heritage period (Who could forget the 787B?). I'd really like to see Mazda turn its attention toward rallying with an AWD MS3. Ford did it with the Focus, VW does it with the Polo, and Subaru and Mitsubishi have been doing it for years. If the 3 ever got some rally cred, it would be much more impressive in my book. Mazda hasn't been rallying in any official capacity for many years...am I the only one who would like to see a Mazdaspeed rally car?

Last edited:
If this comes in 2016 I'm going to start saving for it now. Just hoping Mazda can get it together, has so much potential here.

I think the reason why they haven't is cost. It is another form of R&D which return dividends but we must remember that Mazda is a small company. Maybe we could each donate some our time and talent to help them out. Our eventual reward may be new MS 3s. Now if only I lived a bit closer to their shop in Irvine......

If we could please just get a new Speed6 big brother to go along with it...

And I swear, if they poison either with no manual trans. options, I'll s*** a brick.

I really think Mazda has a good thing going with their new transmissions. I'm sure they'll need to be strengthened to handle the extra power, but they can do it. One of the reasons I love Mazda so much is because they won't exclude manual transmissions in most of their lineup either...at least not for awhile. I know there's no manual at the moment in the CX-3 or the CX-9, but they at least offer it in their volume sellers. If there's one thing Mazda has almost always done well, it's manual gearboxes. As long as they don't forget that going forward, I'm good with an auto in the new Speed3/MPS and MS MX-5.

Edit: A couple other points I was thinking of after writing this. I think Ford's reliability issue is all the more reason for Mazda to pounce and bring out the next-gen Mazdaspeed cars. Mainly because people who took notice of the Fiesta/Focus ST's poor reliability and lack of automatic transmissions sacrificed the few extra G's to get the Golf GTI instead. This is a prime opportunity for Mazda to bring in cars priced competitively with Fords that will not only drive as well (if not better) than the Fords, but also be more reliable.

I know Mazda has racing heritage in the current generation with the it's diesel 6 Grand-Am racer. Mazda has great track racing heritage period (Who could forget the 787B?). I'd really like to see Mazda turn its attention toward rallying with an AWD MS3. Ford did it with the Focus, VW does it with the Polo, and Subaru and Mitsubishi have been doing it for years. If the 3 ever got some rally cred, it would be much more impressive in my book. Mazda hasn't been rallying in any official capacity for many years...am I the only one who would like to see a Mazdaspeed rally car?

Both Skyactiv transmissions are actually fairly sturdy, the 6AT can handle up to 354 lb-ft and the 6MT up to 330 lb-ft. You're right on the Focus and Fiesta ST though, and don't forget to add the Civic Si in there too. The lack of an automatic or DCT means they're driving away potential customers and giving VW and Mini more sales. Subaru's finally realized that and put an automatic option in the WRX and even though it's a CVT the reviews on it seem very positive.

I had no idea about actual numbers for the amount of torque the gearboxes could actually handle, so that's heartening. Depending on the cost, I wonder if modding the normal 3 will be a viable option as an alternative to ditching it for the MS3. I know the current car is FWD, but still...I'm not sure I want to ditch this car for the MS3 if it comes out, but I would like to add some power to the car I have. Maybe not having the torque steer would be worth shelling out the extra dough :p

I like the look of the new Civic Si, but I don't particularly care for the people who drive them. Pretty much the same complaint I have with Subarus...I know not everyone in those respective communities show off and act like douchebags, but there are enough to put me off.

Back