New Control Arm: Stiff/Stuck Ball Joints

surfninjas

Contributor
:
03 mazda protege 5 automatic
Moog RK620073 control arm w/bushings and ball joint.

Out of the box, the ball joint does not move. Tapped it a few times with a hammer, and it did not budge.

Is this normal for our car?

a ball joint out of the box new should move some that sounds like it is defective to me

I think it's probably OK ...

I would try moving it again with a vise grip or big pliers.

You'll probably need to move it to install it anyway.

MOOG is good stuff.... I doubt that it's defective...

I think it's probably OK ...

I would try moving it again with a vise grip or big pliers.

You'll probably need to move it to install it anyway.

MOOG is good stuff.... I doubt that it's defective...

every manufacturer has defective parts it happens moog makes our factory control arms and tie rods and i am just now having to replace mine at 160k miles so i cant say they do not make good stuff and i was not saying that before.

It's normal for new ones to be stiff and hard to move by hand, but it should move. If you can't move it with a hammer, there's something wrong.

Well, it moves a little. Tried a small 2lb hammer and tapped it harder.... Does not move freely, but maybe an inch with 2-3 taps

sounds like its seizing up to me. i would warranty claim it if the company you bought it from offers it.

sounds like its seizing up to me. i would warranty claim it if the company you bought it from offers it.

I'm gonna disagree,... Those things take a hell of a lot of pressure and snug is good,... I think...

i just got mine in and installed today i could move the ball joint with my hands and all feels good on car a hammer should definitely move them.

Got my other side (amazon and autopartswarehouse) and they feel the same. Hammer tapping does move them

Both are Moog

Every new ball joint and tire rod end that I've installed has been movable by hand. If it takes a hammer to get it to move a little, I'd be worried that something went wrong during it's manufacturing process that put it in a bind.

Due to the nature of the part, I'd warranty it. Not worth the risk of doing the job twice and having to get another alignment.

Back