New car, warranty question

rickmillertx

:
Mazda CX9 Grand Touring 2012
I recently purchased a new 2012 CX-9. The salesman told me that I'm required to bring the car back to the dealer for service every 5,000 miles to keep the warranty. He said it costs around $50.00.

I'm thinking for $50.00 they are probably just changing the oil. Is this really a requirement? If they are just changing the oil, I would rather take it to a Quicklube place that is a lot closer to my house.

Your SALESman's job is to sell. When it comes to details about a warranty, if you have questions, call MAZDA corporate or talk to an honest service advisor. You are not required to bring the car back to the dealer every 5k miles. Salesmen know specifics about warranties like toddlers know rocket science.

You can change the oil yourself and keep a record and receipts of oil/filter purchase, and record mileage/date of oil changes, and any other maintenance you may do yourself such as cabin air filter change, tire change, etc. If you take it to an "instant oil change" place, keep records of that too, names, dates, places, as problems can arise from those shady places.

As far as members on here, the only "engine" issues that have really been experienced for the most part seem to be faulty engine wiring harness, bad ignition coils (which some dealers say is not under warranty, but according to MAZDA corporate, and a technical service bulletin, they are under the emissions warranty), but no real engine problems for the most part. The ignition coils and wiring harness issues would not be affected by self-maintenance anyhow.

Welcome to the forum!

Back