Need help with car stereo installation

SteveWon

:
Mazda 2 2012
Hi,

I bought a Double din stereo at Crutchfield, a Kenwood DPX500BT, that I installed myself. Everything is working fine except I don't have sound in my rear speakers. I connected all the wires with the matching ones of the headunit except the Blue and the Blue/White one, since I don't have an Amp (?). Should I connect one of these wires to make my rear speakers to work?

There's also a male harness unused inside the deck of the Mazda, is it for the AUX input or is it the reason why my rear speakers aren't working?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Daft question time, did the rear speakers work with the original head unit ?

Shaun.....

I know this is an older thread but today I went to my auto store to inquire about a remote car starter. I mentioned I missed my Sirius radio and ask to look at stereos. My old car had a single din Kenwood with a three line text display for Sirius very old model. The guy today said he just got in dash kits for Mazda 2 he showed me the same model you have posted above but the non Bluetooth model because I just had Bluetooth put in my car from the dealer.

Do you like this stereo are you using it with Sirius? If so how many lines of text does it show? How does it sound? I was also shown a touch screen JVC one that is being discontinued for 249 they had three left of those. And someone on a Facebook group said that the Metra it is better than this other brand schose for dash kits. Just wondering what your input is. Also my steering wheel controls aren't working since I had the blue tooth put in but I know I can get an add on to this stereo for the controls to work. I think the dealership made something come loose when they installed it not sure but it's going to the dealership Monday. But I would like to know how you like this stereo? The model I saw was DXP300. I don't need the Bluetooth model since its in my car and I do have an Android phone that I like to stream music from which I can do bluetooth already. I found this stereo cheaper online than at the auto store. Gonna see what their install fee is if I don't buy from them. I also saw a differe't model of the JVC touch screen one they showed me online cheaper cause the one they showed me is a discontinued model.

Sorry it turned out so long but now I'm wondering should I have just bought a stereo with Bluetooth does it work just as well as having the factory integrated one put in like for phone calls. I know it's too late now but I never planned on messing with the original stereo but once he showed me the dash kit and said how it would look really good I changed my mind. And I miss my Sirius which is on my phone but I like it on my radio.

Last edited:
No I have not and I am now looking at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74909_JVC-KW-V10.html I may not buy from them but he offered me the scosche dash kit the harness Sirius receiver and steering wheel controls plus the radio all for 370 free shipping. My auto store has this similar JVC discontinued model with detachable face plate for 249. They said with everything plus install of course was like 700 bucks so now I am going to ask them if I buy online what would there install only price be or find someone I know to do it. But I like the double din ones now and it doesn't have to be a touchscreen which I see plays DVD's which it's just me and I'll be driving but touchscreen seems nice. I saw a video where the guys interix traffic went from phone to the touch screen.

I am also looking at this one which isn't a touch screen http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_65904_Kenwood-DPX300U.html My old Kenwood single din from my 2002 car i just sold had a 3 line text display for Sirius which I kind of wanted again this one does single line but is nice and has good reviews. I am still not sure which one. He offered me this one for 270 total including everything. Crutchfield doesn't carry my dashkit they said. Their stereos are higher but some come with free Sirius receiver and discount on steering wheel remote for controls.

My steering wheel controls now I said don't work and I don't know if their not supposed to cause of the integrated bluetooth i had installed or if they just messed something up at the dealership and something came lose. I am taking it to dealership Monday.

So did you already buy the stereo or not yet?

Last edited:
I do not believe the integrated bluetooth will work with an aftermarket headunit. You will likely need a HU that supports bluetooth, as well as SiriusXM adapters. I personally like Pioneer, and they have a "full dot display"(3 lines of text) model that fits all those criteria for about $160-180 on Amazon, with the SiriusXM module being an extra $40. It's basically the 2014 version of my radio and this thing is great for BT audio streaming, hands-free calling, and general music playback. Can't comment on SiriusXM, used it recently in a rental Mustang and found myself looking for stations more often than listening to them.

So your saying the integrated bluetooth that I had the dealership put in the Mazda factory one which is on the side of my steering wheel and the microphone is up on my roof inside that it won't work with a new stereo? I don't want it to work with the stereo. I just want to be able to do phone and stream music through the bluetooth I had put in my car. So I didn't think I needed to get a bluetooth model stereo? Or are you saying if the model I get happens to have bluetooth it will override my other? Or will I have a choice as to which one to use and connect to? Sorry I got confused. I know I need the Sirius adapter and the dash kit and harness and I want the steering control adapter.

Cause I went back to this auto place today and told him what I found online for cheaper this other JVC touchscreen model which he said was an older model than one he had which I found discontinued on Crutchfield. So he lowered his price from 249 to 209 and lowered the Sirius and steering control adapter and with installation of everything and he had the Meta dash kit not the scoshe one and he priced me with labor on everything 600 he had told me 7 something the other day. So now I am back to maybe getting this JVC KW-AV61 model I think it is with touch screen. Now I don't know what to do. I'll have to ask mazda Monday when I take my car to get my steering wheel controls fixed if I'm gonna lose my integrated bt with new stereo. I'll look into the model you told me about also but this auto shop by my house I deal with them all the time and they are good at installing so I'd like it to be one they have in stock in case I run into any problems with the unit. Thanks!

I do not believe the integrated bluetooth will work with an aftermarket headunit. You will likely need a HU that supports bluetooth, as well as SiriusXM adapters. I personally like Pioneer, and they have a "full dot display"(3 lines of text) model that fits all those criteria for about $160-180 on Amazon, with the SiriusXM module being an extra $40. It's basically the 2014 version of my radio and this thing is great for BT audio streaming, hands-free calling, and general music playback. Can't comment on SiriusXM, used it recently in a rental Mustang and found myself looking for stations more often than listening to them.

Last edited:
I always price check whatever I'm going to buy with amazon. They are almost always cheaper and now a lit of places price match them. I would have everything go through my stereo and forget about the integrated bluetooth. That way all your contacts and stuff is synced through the stereo. I don't see any reason that your steering wheels wouldn't work.

Ok thanx that must be the kit he had at the auto store cause he said it would also do double din. I just didn't think I was going to get a stereo so I got the blue tooth put in the car extra paid an extra couple hundred dollars. Then I go to the auto store to look at the remote car starter I didn't even realize that when you get the stereo I had forgotten that it will fit right in there with the dash kit and look nice and then he showed me the double din and I was like oh maybe I want a new stereo now I miss my Sirius. But I just figured it'd be cheaper tIo get one without the Bluetooth but if it was to come with one I guess I would try it.
I just wish I would have realized this before I had the Bluetooth actually put in my car saved a couple hundred towards a new stereo with Bluetooth but anyway thanks for all your help the guy did tell me that the kid that you have is more expensive than the scoshe he said they like that brand better which is what somebody else told me. Anyway thanks I just want to go home now and research some more stuff and look at other stereos . But he was giving me a good deal on this JVC one and it had a touch screen.

So your saying the integrated bluetooth that I had the dealership put in the Mazda factory one which is on the side of my steering wheel and the microphone is up on my roof inside that it won't work with a new stereo? I don't want it to work with the stereo. I just want to be able to do phone and stream music through the bluetooth I had put in my car. So I didn't think I needed to get a bluetooth model stereo? Or are oyu saying if the model I get happens to have bluetooth it will override my other? Or will I have a choice as to which one to use and connect to? Sorry I got confused. I know I need the Sirius adapter and the dash kit and harness and I want the steering control adapter.

The factory bluetooth uses the stereo for the audio output and control of the system itself. If you remove the stereo, you will have a bunch of buttons and nothing to actually run them. If you need bluetooth, you will need a headunit with bluetooth and it will supersede the dealer kit.

Oh really my bluetooth buttons are on the dash to the side of my steering wheel. So even if I get a non bluetooth stereo my bluetooth won't work with any radio? Hmmm what a waste of adding on the bluetooth then. It didn't cost me but a couple hundred more but I never thought I was going to upgrade the stereo. But once he showed me the dash kit and these double dins I liked them. So now I have to decide what I am going to do. I am taking my car to Mazda Monday to get steering wheel controls fixed so I"ll ask them too. Guess I need to decide what to do and which stereo I want. Thanks for all your help!

Ok so I was confused and someone wrote me back on Amazon. This model number JVC that crutchfield said was discontinued that my auto store has 3 of for 249 and is offering me one for 209 is model KW-AV61 someone said there is another model that is KW-AV61BT for bluetooth. I took a picture of the sign under the stereo at the auto store and it didn't say BT so I am hoping to still use my BT mazda put in. I guess I need to ask the service guy who installed it. But it's going to a different mazda delaership monday cause of the steering controls not working. Thanks though for all your replies. It's now between the JVC touchscreen or Kenwood non touchscreen that changes all these colors to match your dash LOL! It got good reviews too. I wish I could decide. Someone said if my radio now is a single din and i get double din my bluetooth won't work which means I need to get a model with BT I am so confused now. But thanks for all your replies

The factory bluetooth uses the stereo for the audio output and control of the system itself. If you remove the stereo, you will have a bunch of buttons and nothing to actually run them. If you need bluetooth, you will need a headunit with bluetooth and it will supersede the dealer kit.

Last edited:
Single din vs double din has nothing to do with it coming with bluetooth or not. I for example have a single din and it has bluetooth.
XM XDNX1V1 Onyx Dock-and-Play Radio with Car Kit (DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER) by SiriusXM https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

SiriusXM Satellite Radio SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus with Vehicle Kit (Black) by SiriusXM https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Post #74 picture #3 Xm add on seen at the bottom.. actually fits perfectly in that little storage square
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123820180-Mykflo-s-Mazda2/page5

You could also keep your current stereo and add a sirius/Xm transmitter like I have.

Or get the non bluetooth version jvc and keep your integrated one if it will still work.

Or have them unintelligible it and then try and sell it to a forum member here.. A lot of us don't have bluetooth as it wasn't an option all the time.

I know Single Din vs Double Din has nothing to do with bluetooth but I thought you said since I have single din now and had the bluetooth put it that it won't work with double din like won't plug in or whatever is done with it sorry. I am all confused but if it's gonna make my bluetooth that I just had put in not work with a non bt single or double din than I'll get a bluetooth one but I prefer a double din. I guess I'll ask tomorrow the guy at mazda when I take my car there or call the service dept in Cincy where they delivered me the car from and ask them. They are the ones who put the bt in. Anyway it's all confusing but thanks! Rose

Single din vs double din has nothing to do with it coming with bluetooth or not. I for example have a single din and it has bluetooth.
XM XDNX1V1 Onyx Dock-and-Play Radio with Car Kit (DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER) by SiriusXM https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

SiriusXM Satellite Radio SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus with Vehicle Kit (Black) by SiriusXM https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Post #74 picture #3 Xm add on seen at the bottom.. actually fits perfectly in that little storage square
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123820180-Mykflo-s-Mazda2/page5

You could also keep your current stereo and add a sirius/Xm transmitter like I have.

Or get the non bluetooth version jvc and keep your integrated one if it will still work.

Or have them unintelligible it and then try and sell it to a forum member here.. A lot of us don't have bluetooth as it wasn't an option all the time.

Okay, let me put this as simply as humanly possible.

The OEM bluetooth will only work with the OEM stereo. Period, end of story. There is no cost-effective way of making this work with anything aftermarket available at this time.

There is nothing confusing about this if you slow down and take the time to read what is being written.

Your local stereo shop is trying to pass off old stock on you because you are a customer drooling at the window looking at equipment, and they know they can pull the wool over your eyes. There are much better units than an old Kenwood for what you need and want to do. They are in business to make money(like ALL businesses) and there is a reason they have a now almost 2-year old model stereo still in back stock. Either find a different shop or research what you want/need yourself, purchase it, and have them install it. If you really want to go cheap with an old model unit, look at eBay and you can find 5+ year old units at 1/10th the cost.

There are many other manufactures that have single and double-din standard and touchscreen units that will accomplish your goals. Here is a short list of manufactures you should look at their websites for details(that I can think of off the top of my head).
-Pioneer
-Alpine
-Blaupunkt
-Boss
-Clarion
-Dual
-JBL
-Jensen
-JVC
-Parrot
-Power Acoustik
-Pyle
-Sony
-Soundstream
-Countless smaller mfgs

Jvc is a model I'm looking at too with touchscreen it's older model to like the Kenwood non touchscreen but in my price range but I don't think they were Bluetooth which I need now. I just didn't understand about my Bluetooth I just had put in but if it won't work with any new stereo than I know I need a Bluetooth stereo if I decide to upgrade. That's all that matters is having Bluetooth one way or another. But someone else told me Bluetooth would still work so they were wrong.. I was confused but understand now thanks.

The factory BT will work with an aftermarket stereo whether that aftermarket unit has BT or not. I've just returned from a trip with a Kenwood DPX500BT installed in my 2; put it in because my portable satellite was on the fritz.

In the setup of the Kenwood, I deleted my previously paired phone, and disabled BT (a menu selection). The factory BT not only picked up calls, but also interrupted the the Kenwood whenever my phone's GPS app needed to give me turn by turn directions - something this particular Kenwood will not do when its BT is enabled.

Keep in mind the factory BT sits downstream of the head unit, regardless of what it is. It can override whatever the head unit is doing since BT module controls the wiring harness going to the speakers.

So if you have or are looking at an aftermarket unit with or without BT, it should still work. You have all of the quirks of the factory unit but it does work as it was designed.

Really so I can get a non Bluetooth stereo and the Bluetooth I had put in my Mazda 2 from the factory OEM will still work? Cause I was looking at this JVC touchscreen or the Kenwood which I don't need Bluetooth versions if the OEM will still work but someone above said no. So I don't know but thanks

Works on my Kenwood. Should work on anything really.

The main audio wiring harness plugs into the BT unit and then the BT supplied harness plugs into the back of the stereo (or in the case of aftermarket unit, its adapter). I installed my BT myself - that's the only way it can be wired. What that means essentially, is the BT unit is between the stereo head unit and the speakers. If BT decides something it wants something to reach the speakers, the head unit is outvoted. BT always has priority.

Don't know why someone said it wouldn't - if it's the Mazda BT unit and it's wired like Mazda designed it to be (and the plugs can only go one way) then it should work.

Now, keep in mind the Mazda BT has it's quirks, and it is rather limited in its functionality. But on other BT enabled units (Camry, this Kenwood in a different car, wife's Mazda 3) I've had experience with, my GPS app will only talk over BT if BT is the audio source. Which means I couldn't listen to satellite source and it interrupt with turn by turn directions.
The way Mazda has set this up, it doesn't matter what I'm listening to, FM, CD, AUX, Sirius... when GPS app has a turn, BT interrupts and gives it to me, then returns back to whatever I was listening to. Maybe it's a quirk in the combo of an iPhone4 and MotionX, but it works, and I like it.

Some might think Mazda's solution is inelegant and they'd be right from a tech standpoint - but for how I use it, it was worth the price of admission.

Hope that helps.

Thank You! Now I have to rethink getting a new stereo with my Sirius that I want. For now I am using my phone. Sirius offered me a free Stratus 7 and I was like ok I'll try it they were going to send me a free install card with it than 20 minutes later I called back and changed my mind. They said it was too late already being shipped to just not activate it since it was free. The thing is so small my phone screen is bigger than it. But anyway so even if i get this JVC touchscreen my BT should work which is good to hear. I'll show your reply to the guys at my auto store. I thought they told me it wouldn't work neither I forget now what they said. I know he said if I got one that already had BT I would want to use it. But after getting this car especially cause it had the factory BT in it already I'd rather get a non bluetooth one i don't know. But the bluetooth in their now comes through speakers doesn't really have to do with radio but your saying it will plug into to any radio or do I need a radio with a special for it to plug into? So on your Kenwood you say the factor bluetooth works and if you use the Kenwood does it use the same Mic that's up above on the inside roof? I remember my auto store saying something about if I got a BT stereo and wanted to use BT that the mic with it would go in the same spot as now but If I was to ever get new car and wanted stereo out and old one back in then I would put it back to the way it was before they put stereo in with the mic in their now back in. I don't know sorry for all the questions I was just confused. I know a new stereo with bluetooth will work maybe better and I'll be able to sync contacts but since I had the factory put in and paid a bit extra I'd rather keep using it and get a non BT stereo and still be able to use the OEM that was put in.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back