Need help!!! Urgent!!!!!!

cyc

:
Protege5
I was trying to change my shiftknob (my car is an automatic without tiptronic). After removing the original shiftknob, I removed the white plastic rod. As I pull it out, I hear a little snap, as if it was holding on something, and as i pulled it out, it went out of place (kinda like the rod was holding on to a spring, as i removed the rod, the spring went back to it's original place). I knew I screwed up something.

Anyways, now, I can't push the rod down anymore, therefore when changing between gears, I dont' have to press the button. And even if I put my car back into P position, I can't get my key out. It's stuck on accesorries mode.

So, do you know what I can do?

Also, since it's on accessories mode, my radio is on. So I took it off so that it wont' drain my car's batterie. My question is, will it drain my car's battery even if I took the radio off? Or should I disconnect the battery? If I disconnect the battery, do I disconnect both sides? or only the negative side?

Thanks

with the negative side it should be ok, just make sure it doesn't touch any metallic part in the body of the vehicle

Does this picture help?

Looks like you have to tear the entrie console apart now to get to it?

-Dean

Attachments

• P5_shift.JPG
    P5_shift.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 118
Back