Navi - Junky?

A couple hundred? More like a few thousand. According to prospective buyers, 20% consider CarPlay/AA a MUST HAVE feature. Out of 100,000 CX-5s, that's what 20,0000?

A couple hundred, good one(lol2)

Have you got a reference to back that up?

A couple hundred? More like a few thousand. According to prospective buyers, 20% consider CarPlay/AA a MUST HAVE feature. Out of 100,000 CX-5s, that's what 20,0000?

I went looking for this source and the closest I could find was the below graph, which is a far cry from your claim of it being a "must have" feature. It's quite low on the list when compared with other features.

ts13-most-important-new-car-carplay.png

Last edited:

20% consider it a MUST HAVE feature? Dream on. Fake stats like usual.
Besides, if that's true, I wonder how many sales Toyota is losing. Care to quote us on that?
More like 80% of buyers don't even know what it is or does.

In defense of the Nav. I like it.
The screen looks great to me..it doesn't look dated at all.
I like how it shows the speed limit on the road you are on. Waze and Google don't. That's a lot more useful to me in my day to day then Live Traffic.
Also love how it shows what's at the next 3 freeway exits while you're on the freeway. This came in real handy once when we were really low on gas. I didn't have to look at my phone .. or even talk to it. No, glance at the screen: cool, 3rd exit had gas.
Also love how it shows the cross streets even when not in Navi mode. I've never seen that in a car and without fail everyone comments on that.
I've had one issue finding a pretty large landmark. But other then that, I think it's fantastic.

Yes its a definite upgrade from my old TomTom system from 2014, in my 2018 CX-5 GT that I have now.
Much quicker in making selections and info popping up.

Hey MM- any paddle shifters on your 2018 GT? Cylinder deactivation..how's that going? MPG? thanks

I went looking for this source and the closest I could find was the below graph, which is a far cry from your claim of it being a "must have" feature. It's quite low on the list when compared with other features.

ts13-most-important-new-car-carplay.png

Yeah dude, bring up a chart that includes a AM/FM radio and smartphone connector, cause every car doesn't have that right? Hilarious(lol2)

Have you got a reference to back that up?

strategyanalyticscarplay-800x441.jpg

CarPlay is becoming an increasingly important feature that consumers look for when purchasing a vehicle, according to a new report released today by Strategy Analytics.

In a survey querying future car buyers about their interest in Android Auto, CarPlay, and Baidu CarLife in the United States, Western Europe, and China, Strategy Analytics discovered the majority of consumers are interested in CarPlay.

In the United States, 23 percent of respondents said CarPlay was a "must have" feature, while 56 percent said they were "interested." Just 21 percent were "not interested." In Europe and China, the numbers were even higher. 36 percent of respondents said CarPlay was a must have feature in China, and 29 percent said the same in Europe.

No fewer than 30 percent of consumers surveyed said they were willing to pay more for a smartphone mirroring feature like CarPlay or Android Auto, provided it's offered at a reasonable price point. For existing customers who have access to mirroring systems like CarPlay, they're often used exclusively over the existing in-car infotainment options. From Strategy Analytics' Derek Viita, author of the report
"All of our research suggests that consumers will soon be ready to adopt CarPlay and Android Auto for their infotainment needs, which is another round of bad news for embedded navigation suppliers and OEMs that want to sell upgraded navigation systems." Continued Viita, "It also shows a missed opportunity: OEMs have been including these systems 'as standard,' when our research suggests that consumers would actually be willing to pay for them, even to the price of traditional navigation options."
For the survey, Strategy Analytics queried 1,503 consumers in the United States, 1,607 in Western Europe, and 2,003 in China. To participate, respondents were asked to confirm whether they owned or leased a motor vehicle and a smartphone, and they were only asked about in-car mirroring systems available in their regions and compatible with their smartphones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/16/carplay-must-have-new-car-buyers/

Happy now?

20% consider it a MUST HAVE feature? Dream on. Fake stats like usual.
Besides, if that's true, I wonder how many sales Toyota is losing. Care to quote us on that?
More like 80% of buyers don't even know what it is or does.

Well, 18% is close to 20%. I will give him that. But that list is goofy. Must just be from electronics?

Cut him a little slack. He's not great with statistics. When I posted that 10 people posted about bad transmissions, and if those 10, 2 we're 2016, this braniac concluded that 20% of all 2016s sold will have bad trannies.
Few polls are done so well that they can be considered fact. Some, sure. But many are not. Show me 3 polls done differently, that show this.
I worked for one of the larger statistics companies for a time. Do you know how easy it is to skew a poll? This one was surely done online which attracts a more tech focused and younger group.
I took a poll last night with 5 of my friends. 2 never heard of ACP, and the other 3hadno interest in it. So in my poll 100% of people don't think ACP is must have.
[emoji6]

Cut him a little slack. He's not great with statistics. When I posted that 10 people posted about bad transmissions, and if those 10, 2 we're 2016, this braniac concluded that 20% of all 2016s sold will have bad trannies.
Few polls are done so well that they can be considered fact. Some, sure. But many are not. Show me 3 polls done differently, that show this.
I worked for one of the larger statistics companies for a time. Do you know how easy it is to skew a poll? This one was surely done online which attracts a more tech focused and younger group.
I took a poll last night with 5 of my friends. 2 never heard of ACP, and the other 3hadno interest in it. So in my poll 100% of people don't think ACP is must have.
[emoji6]

Nope, I specifically said the people that were polled ON THIS FORUM, 20% reported bad transmissions. Never did I say 20% of all CX-5s.

And the statistics I post come from market research experts who interview thousands of potential car buyers where as your market research comes from interviewing your circle of close friends, somehow thinking their answers reflect what the rest of the country is looking for in a vehicle?. My grandma doesn't know what what CarPlay/AA is, but I'm not going to use that as evidence people don't know what it is or want it(lol2)

Never did I say 20% of all CX-5s.

That's exactly what you said. 20% of all 2016 CX-5s.
Not going to argue about it.
The friends bit was to prove a point. Polls are skewed. Yes, people want AA. And if we ever do get it, I'll probably use it sometimes...not going to lie. I just don't think Mazda is losing 20,000 sales over it.

Last edited:
Again, I must be one if the 12% because I don't care about an AM/FM radio either. I'm cool with Sirius and whatever I have on a flash-drive.

That's two. I'm a unique special snowflake! (hippy)

Yeah dude, bring up a chart that includes a AM/FM radio and smartphone connector, cause every car doesn't have that right? Hilarious(lol2)

Whether or not they're standard features is irrelevant with regards to how people value those features. The survey you linked only included people who owned a smartphone, so that's obviously skewing the results a certain direction.

I'm sure a lot of people want AA/CarPlay, but no one believes your argument that they're losing 20% of their sales due to the lack of it. Let me know when the sales for the next manufacturer to implement AA/CarPlay surges by 20%, and I'll listen to what you have to say.

It does surprise me out of the 100 people or so I interact with weekly (including co-workers) not one person has AA or ACP. People with $12,000 Jeeps up to $90,000 Audi's. Because it's just so must have...

It does surprise me out of the 100 people or so I interact with weekly (including co-workers) not one person has AA or ACP. People with $12,000 Jeeps up to $90,000 Audi's. Because it's just so must have...

I would like to see a survey done on all ACP/AA equipped vehicle owners asking them if they use the function or not. Nobody I know even talks about this stuff. The talk is about cruise control or LDW, stuff like that.

From what I gathered, Mazda outsourced the software to a small company (not sure which one).
Apparently, this small company is not very capable.
The proof, look at all the bugs.
Even with v.59, I still run into 1 or 2 issues every month.
Mostly frozen screen.

If you expect this lousy company to enhance their software to handle AA/ACP, that would be a dream.
Even if they release it, I would expect even more bugs...
Besides, as someone before me put it, AA/ACP are designed for touch screen.
Mazda Connect is dial-centric.... It might not be very useful unless Mazda allows operation while vehicle is in motion.
Otherwise, how do you expect a dial to replace finger touching?

Don't get me wrong, I would like AA/ACP if it works....

In my opinion, the Mazda Connect is the weakest link of CX5s (and all Mazdas).

Where does this nonsense come from that AA is touch centric? It's not. Not even close. In fact, Google locks you out from a lot of touch input when moving just like Mazda does. It's voice centric and controllers have zero issues running it. See: Audi.

@Puyapim
There was a thread on Mangos CR-V forum about that exact thing. The people who had it and didn't use it far outnumbered the regular users. Although the regulars were passionate about it.

Last edited:
@Puyapim
There was a thread on Mangos CR-V forum about that exact thing. The people who had it and didn't use it far outnumbered the regular users. Although the regulars were passionate about it.

7eregrine, I think part of the issue may be related to the age of the drivers. Older drivers like myself prefer to not spend time with the Nav as it could distract from driving. Younger drivers are always more daring and add their love of technology into the mix. I have a iPhone but could care less about the music etc. Maybe on long trip it would be important but not everyday.

I would like to see a survey done on all ACP/AA equipped vehicle owners asking them if they use the function or not. Nobody I know even talks about this stuff. The talk is about cruise control or LDW, stuff like that.

This is so true.
If you randomly stopped 100 people on the street that have smart phones, and ask them if they have CarPlay/AA,
and then ask them if they know what it is or how to use it, I'm willing to bet 90% of them won't have it, or have a clue what you are talking about.
Then ask every driver that owns a car with that capability, and ask the same question. You'll probably get the same result.
I firmly believe that this whole CarPlay/AA stuff for cars is 90% marketing.
Some people are convinced they need it because it's being talked about, but when push comes to shove, they don't actually have a clue.
Heck, I bet half the people with smart phones and a blue tooth capable system in their cars don't even know how to pair their phone to it.
My sister in law just bought a new CR-V last month (without looking or shopping around. They just walked into the Honda dealership and bought the first one they saw. Not even in the colour they actually wanted).
When I asked them about the infotainment system, they didn't have a clue how to use it or what it does.
Did they avoid Mazda because it doesn't have AA? I don't think so. Just a mindless purchase.

Back