Just got a 2024 CX-5 for my wife, lasted 2 days

Not sure anyone has experienced this but my wife just grabbed a 2024 carbon edition cx-5 N/A 2.5.
Got it on Tuesday, drove it Wed and the engine almost completely disconnected from the tranny for me on Thursday!

I started hearing squealing, clunking, under my feet and seat. Car started loosing power and engine would rev but just clunked more and barely would move. Put it in neutral and most of the noise went away. Got to the point where I could barely take off or make it up a hill. Had to pull over and get Mazda service to tow it to the dealership. I had them on the phone for a good portion of the drive.

Not one light came on the dashboard. However my wife said her app, wasn't with me at the time, sent her a message about low oil pressure and to pull over ASAP. So clearly the computer knew of the issue. Tech was dumbfounded no lights were showing.

So they are getting me a new car, no issues there. But that little event has scared us both a little in trusting this thing. Most likely some defect from the factory, but no lights? Still waiting for the service departments full assessment.

Wow! We just picked up a 2024 CX5 4 weeks ago! The thing about the check engine lights are that they are mostly tied to events that effect emissions. Sounds like your issue was some type of mechanical failure between the engine and the transmission.

Please keep us updated! But since they are giving you a new car I wonder if the dealership will even tell you what when wrong with the first car.

If it helps at all, I've never heard of a brand new CX5 doing this so I would accept the second car and not worry too much.

Wow! The engine (or transmission-however you want to look at it) is falling out of the car, it's become undriveable, making all manner of ungodly noise....and you're concerned because there are no warning lights on the dash???😵‍💫

I'm sure that was an unsettling experience with your brand new car and can shake your confidence with Mazda. By your discription, it sounds to me like there was some type of physical mechanical failure inside the transmission.

I'm glad to hear that your selling dealership has stepped up with awesome customer service by switching your vehicle for another new car. That rare failure will soon be a distant memory as you move on to years of happy motoring with Mazda.

I imagine the failure cx5 will get a new transmission, spend a year as a dealership "service loaner" and test drive mule, then be sold as a CPO.

Not sure anyone has experienced this but my wife just grabbed a 2024 carbon edition cx-5 N/A 2.5.
Got it on Tuesday, drove it Wed and the engine almost completely disconnected from the tranny for me on Thursday!

I started hearing squealing, clunking, under my feet and seat. Car started loosing power and engine would rev but just clunked more and barely would move. Put it in neutral and most of the noise went away. Got to the point where I could barely take off or make it up a hill. Had to pull over and get Mazda service to tow it to the dealership. I had them on the phone for a good portion of the drive.

Not one light came on the dashboard. However my wife said her app, wasn't with me at the time, sent her a message about low oil pressure and to pull over ASAP. So clearly the computer knew of the issue. Tech was dumbfounded no lights were showing.

So they are getting me a new car, no issues there. But that little event has scared us both a little in trusting this thing. Most likely some defect from the factory, but no lights? Still waiting for the service departments full assessment.

I'd love to see a picture of that. The trans and the engine separated? o_O

I'd love to see a picture of that. The trans and the engine separated? o_O
I thought that wording was shocking too at first, but after reading the later description I don't think that's what happened. I think it's just a defective transmission part such as the flex plate or torque converter.

Unless OP comes back to update us, I have doubt about the validity of what OP said. Let us wait-n-see.

His/her 1st post, reporting strange issue, and never come back to check the thread he/she posted for 10 days... that doesn't sound normal to me.

Unless OP comes back to update us, I have doubt about the validity of what OP said. Let us wait-n-see.

His/her 1st post, reporting strange issue, and never come back to check the thread he/she posted for 10 days... that doesn't sound normal to me.

To add, that user did come back the day after their original post, but they didn't provide any follow up. They haven't logged in since.

🤷‍♂️

Newbie poster, came here to gripe, he’s getting his new car, maybe he doesn’t care that we are waiting for an answer.

Latest posts

Back