Navi - Junky?

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys!

Before I start, I know that my Mazda and my wifes brand new 17 Lexus NXT are in completely separate categories. However, I cant get over how much clearer and more upscale looking her Navi screen is. My Mazdas looks like technology from 10 years ago! Is there anyway to improve the graphics?

Other than that, I really like my Mazda better in many aspects. It competes well with the Lexus in my opinion.

What do you all think about the Mazda Navi?

Sure, it looks like (blarf) . Ten years ago is about right.
But it's functional.
And you can use your phone, or she can (wrc)

The way it drives makes up for that shortcoming for me, easily.

I agree the Nav could be better with integrated the traffic. A larger screen would be welcome too.
More streets name on the map. Other than that its ok.

Hey guys!

Before I start, I know that my Mazda and my wifes brand new 17 Lexus NXT are in completely separate categories. However, I cant get over how much clearer and more upscale looking her Navi screen is. My Mazdas looks like technology from 10 years ago! Is there anyway to improve the graphics?

Other than that, I really like my Mazda better in many aspects. It competes well with the Lexus in my opinion.

In my opinion and having used the latest navs from GM, the nav I have in my 2017 cx-5 may not look as fancy as the others but I find it better, more accurate, auto zoom out and in etc , just more strait forward. I like it much better.

Hey guys!

I agree. I've only test driven the system in the CX-5 and CX-9, so maybe I haven't explored every feature, but it seems like a poor effort. It lacks detail, the screen could be bigger (especially more vertical real estate in the CX-5), there's no traffic in the nav, the alternative routes aren't shown on the map, no XM traffic or weather, and the HD radio traffic app is nearly useless because can't even zoom. I find the whole infotainment system to be outdated and tedious to use. It's a sore point that stands out in a great interior that is class leading in every other way.

The NX has a base price of > $10,000 over the CX-5. Honesty, it is fine and competitive with others in its class (Toyota, Nissan, etc).

Honestly, no. It really isn't. These days, you can get real time traffic, real time weather, 4G LTE wi-fi hotspot, Android Auto and Apple Car Play, and a halfway decent nav IN A CHEVY CRUZE. And the same for most of the Cruze's competitors minus the 4G LTE and AA/CP in the Toyota. These are standard infotainment features today, available (for an option price) in any class. And none of that in any Mazda. With the Connected Services no longer available, and without XM data services, Mazda's system really isn't competitive in ANY segment regardless of price.

I also consider Mazda's menu-based system to be a tedious and outdated throwback, but that is more a matter of taste than an objective judgment.

Last edited:
Hey.. I wish I had your newer nav rev... the Tom Tom unit in mine is easily outpaced in response and functions to the nav unit in my old '07 G35x.

Honestly, no. It really isn't. These days, you can get real time traffic, real time weather, 4G LTE wi-fi hotspot, Android Auto and Apple Car Play, and a halfway decent nav IN A CHEVY CRUZE. And the same for most of the Cruze's competitors minus the 4G LTE and AA/CP in the Toyota. These are standard infotainment features today, available (for an option price) in any class. And none of that in any Mazda. With the Connected Services no longer available, and without XM data services, Mazda's system really isn't competitive in ANY segment regardless of price.

I also consider Mazda's menu-based system to be a tedious and outdated throwback, but that is more a matter of taste than an objective judgment.

Yeah dude it sucks balls. Of course people will try and argue with me when I repeat the same info. Some people just don't like hearing the truth appearantly.

Yeah dude it sucks balls. Of course people will try and argue with me when I repeat the same info. Some people just don't like hearing the truth appearantly.

Yes we hear you time and time again. No system is perfect. Go and play with your Honda

I haven't used any other nav's besides my 3 and my iPhone. My only complaint with it is how long it takes to boot when I first start the car, which is when I'm most likely to be entering a destination. Otherwise, I think it works and looks just fine. And my wife likes mine better than hers in her year-older Tiguan. So maybe there's better out there, but there's definitely worse.

I have spent lots of time in Honda's (Accords, Odysseys, and Civics), Rouges and Toyota's and honestly, I have not noticed much of a difference in screen quality and performance. I can't say I used actually used the NAV to get to a place ever in any car but they all look the same. And they all have their issues. My 2014 has a no NAV and a rudimentary screen but the 2017 Mazda 3 looks OK. I don't like the menu system to find things like stations but every system I have used has sucked. The Cruze might need a fricken super-computer to make it competitive.

I am in the market for a new car and this is ONE reason why as an entire family we rejected Mazda series. No integrated traffic. Just yesterday, I had to revert to Waze as a 4 hr. journey would have taken 7 hrs. due to traffic from N/VA to NJ. I need 100% traffic re-routing due to high congestion place I work/commute/live.
Cars having price points MUCH LESS than Mazda are offering now even Apple Carplay, etc......

In defense of the Nav. I like it.
The screen looks great to me..it doesn't look dated at all.
I like how it shows the speed limit on the road you are on. Waze and Google don't. That's a lot more useful to me in my day to day then Live Traffic.
Also love how it shows what's at the next 3 freeway exits while you're on the freeway. This came in real handy once when we were really low on gas. I didn't have to look at my phone .. or even talk to it. No, glance at the screen: cool, 3rd exit had gas.
Also love how it shows the cross streets even when not in Navi mode. I've never seen that in a car and without fail everyone comments on that.
I've had one issue finding a pretty large landmark. But other then that, I think it's fantastic.

I am in the market for a new car and this is ONE reason why as an entire family we rejected Mazda series. No integrated traffic. Just yesterday, I had to revert to Waze as a 4 hr. journey would have taken 7 hrs. due to traffic from N/VA to NJ. I need 100% traffic re-routing due to high congestion place I work/commute/live.
Cars having price points MUCH LESS than Mazda are offering now even Apple Carplay, etc......

It would be of great value to Mazda to know this. They are loosing sales because of a lack of this feature.Maybe this gets their act together and implements CarPlay ASAP.

Obviously Mazda isn't concerned about losing a couple 100 sales over AA-ACP.

Obviously Mazda isn't concerned about losing a couple 100 sales over AA-ACP.

A couple hundred? More like a few thousand. According to prospective buyers, 20% consider CarPlay/AA a MUST HAVE feature. Out of 100,000 CX-5s, that's what 20,0000?

A couple hundred, good one(lol2)

A couple hundred? More like a few thousand. According to prospective buyers, 20% consider CarPlay/AA a MUST HAVE feature. Out of 100,000 CX-5s, that's what 20,0000?

A couple hundred, good one(lol2)
Yea, ok pal. You win. Mazda sucks.

I must be one of the other 80% because I don't care if I'm connected to the internet while I'm driving my car.

For what? Pandora? What else is there to do on the internet while you're barreling along at 60MPH in a 3000 pound hunk of metal?

Latest posts

Back