Navi - Junky?

@Puyapim
There was a thread on Mangos CR-V forum about that exact thing. The people who had it and didn't use it far outnumbered the regular users. Although the regulars were passionate about it.

Does it really matter which NAV system CRV users use? They get 3 choices: CarPlay, Android Auto and the OEM Garmin system. ALL 3 offer live traffic and rerouting capabilities. So it really makes no difference which one they use, although if one did not offer live traffic it would be useless, but thankfully they all do. Mazda on the other hand gives you no choices and instead implements this 'predicted traffic' gimmick in order to fool people into thinking they have live traffic. We've already seen a couple of posters here thinking they had live traffic because they had this feature...

7eregrine, I think part of the issue may be related to the age of the drivers. Older drivers like myself prefer to not spend time with the Nav as it could distract from driving. Younger drivers are always more daring and add their love of technology into the mix. I have a iPhone but could care less about the music etc. Maybe on long trip it would be important but not everyday.

That's not the issue, the issue here is we have a few posters who live in their own bubble where go asking around family members/friends/front desk receptionist at their job their opinion on something and if they don't have one or even know what they're talking about, they assume the rest of the world thinks this way. This is why market research companies exist. The study I posted a link for showed AT LEAST 25% of potential car buyers in the USA(and that's key here, not asking random people on the street not in the market for cars). In China it's nearly 40%. That's why these companies exist, to do market research on behalf of their customers. If there are certain posters who don't believe these numbers, then they are free to post a link to a study that proves otherwise.

*crickets*

BTW regarding your age comment, it is true that CX-5 buyers tend to be younger than CRV buyers. CRV buyers are older and probably don't give a crap if it comes with CarPlay, they'll still buy it simply because it is a Honda. This features are much more needed in the CX-5 than the CRV. The fact that you can find it in a vehicle driven primarily by soccer moms and senior citizens and not in a vehicle driven by the younger generation should be quite telling.

1st. of all the entire infotainment system as a whole - I don't have much complaints. For what its worth: it does work, for me. I don't use Pandora/Aha radio/etc. but Amazon prime music and it works perfectly including steering controls. As a navigation system it has its quirks but its decent. A top-of-the-line Lexus sucks in comparison!
As far as I am concerned I MUST have integrated traffic. Secondly, altogether thru a separate forum I established thru Facebook we've banded together about 8 of us and together we are going dealer to dealer to buy together 8 mid-size/compact sedans. Guess what? All 8 of us came to 2 conclusions: 1. Must have: integrated traffic in navigation system 2. The display should be great with routing/re-routing/etc., etc.

I frankly don't care about 18% / 20% whatever statistics are thrown. Also seriously don't care if has Apple/Google Airplay/etc. If the OEM navigation works/offers relatively free upgrades/has traffic: check: Yes. Else: No. Of course there are other factors but that's not in discussion in this thread.

I do NOT want yet another Garmin/Tomtom/etc. lugging with me and then setting it up and have wires running, etc., etc. With that note: Mazda looses EIGHT customers. Should I tell Mazda US? Sure... will it help? Absolutely not. Honda offers: Yes. Toyota: Yes, Subaru: Yes.

Surely let them know.

Mango, CUVs aren't popular with the younger generation...because they want cars.

Does it really matter which NAV system CRV users use? They get 3 choices: CarPlay, Android Auto and the OEM Garmin system. ALL younger generation should be quite telling.

Seriously? We're just having a discussion. It's kind of what adults do. It doesn't matter. Someone asked a question and I answered. This is how adults talk.
And really Honda owners have 2 choices, really. Except, maybe, that rare CRV driver that has an iPhone and an Android.
I await your attack rebuttal...

Last edited:
huh? most younger folks don't have much interest in driving or owning a vehicle at all. but i don't think those that do want cars, as recent sales trends have shown.... (uhm)

edited- to ad a link:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/604678/SUVs-the-cars-choice-young-car-buyers

Huh?
Who says they don't like cars? Millennials are the fastest growing segment of car buyers, according to experts
By 2020, millennials will represent roughly 40 percent of new-car purchases.

Because the buyers are younger, typically they have lower incomes and lower credit profiles. They tend to skew towards buying compact cars – 18 percent compared to 14 percent for the industry total,” King told the automotive publication.

Thomas King of J.D. Power and Associates*toldAutomotive News*that millennials are mostly buying entry compacts and some SUVs and crossovers.

Could be a US v Europe thing. Generally speaking I've always thought it's easier to be car free in more European cities then American ones.

Edit to add link:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...owing-segment-of-car-buyers-article-1.2983590

Last edited:
Huh?
Who says they don't like cars? Millennials are the fastest growing segment of car buyers, according to experts
By 2020, millennials will represent roughly 40 percent of new-car purchases.

Because the buyers are younger, typically they have lower incomes and lower credit profiles. They tend to skew towards buying compact cars – 18 percent compared to 14 percent for the industry total,” King told the automotive publication.

Thomas King of J.D. Power and Associates*toldAutomotive News*that millennials are mostly buying entry compacts and some SUVs and crossovers.

Could be a US v Europe thing. Generally speaking I've always thought it's easier to be car free in more European cities then American ones.

Edit to add link:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...owing-segment-of-car-buyers-article-1.2983590

i suppose if limited by income then i would agree.

They are buying *some* CU and SU V's.
I don't know. Times have changed. I can't imagine being a single 25 year old with my first good job and thinking "yea, man, I want a Jeep Grand Cherokee!" LOL

They are buying *some* CU and SU V's.
I don't know. Times have changed. I can't imagine being a single 25 year old with my first good job and thinking "yea, man, I want a Jeep Grand Cherokee!" LOL

1- well to be fair, the CUV/SUV selections were a lot fewer and far between when we were in our 20s.

2- now that i think about it, i bought my 4Runner in my mid 20s... after longing for one for quite some time. It was sports cars and SUVs for me. Sedans were blah, despite the fact i also had recently bought a brand new 2005 Mazda 6. But that was more for practicality reasons, not desire.

Last edited:
1 - true. We didn't really even have CUVs. So our options were much more limited.
My first car was a used and beat to snot 1974 Pontiac Firebird that I paid $1,000 for.

Honestly, no. It really isn't. These days, you can get real time traffic, real time weather, 4G LTE wi-fi hotspot, Android Auto and Apple Car Play, and a halfway decent nav IN A CHEVY CRUZE. And the same for most of the Cruze's competitors minus the 4G LTE and AA/CP in the Toyota. These are standard infotainment features today, available (for an option price) in any class. And none of that in any Mazda. With the Connected Services no longer available, and without XM data services, Mazda's system really isn't competitive in ANY segment regardless of price.

I also consider Mazda's menu-based system to be a tedious and outdated throwback, but that is more a matter of taste than an objective judgment.

To say it's tedious is an understatement. If you ask me today what I think of my 2016-5 CX5 and I've give a 2 star rating at best. A software update could bring it to a 4 star but as it is I'm quite unhappy with my purchase. A few days ago it took me over 90 seconds after starting the car to be able to leave a parking lot as I had to sit and wait for the Nav to load and then wait for the USB stick to load which seemed to cause the Nav to load again (it may have been just swapping screens but nonetheless it seem to take forever). I've owned 3 Mazda's previous to the CX5 so I'm (or was) a fan of the brand but the CX5 is a miss and it's largely because of the electronics.

Back