My 05 Mazda3s bit the dust

Chibana

Contributor
:
2009 Mazda RX-8
On the way home Tuesday evening the engine died. Oil all over. I had it towed to the dealer where I bought it almost 6 years ago (and 191,200 miles or so ago) just to get definite verification. I'm pretty bummed. I loved that car. They would charge me $6,000 for a remanufactured Mazda engine, so it's not worth it to fix. I've had a $1200 offer from one salvage yard, and I'm waiting to hear from another, and they both do free towing. The car has a ton of good aftermarket equipment on it, some of it brand new, unfortunately. I just put Racing Brake grooved rotors on it a couple weeks ago. Oops. Wish I could have that money back.

What I was really upset about was that I was planning to keep this car for another year or so and then get the next-gen Focus, which I fell in love with at NAIAS 2010. I really want that hatchback. So I started the process of search for other cars I could get, and none were really doing it for me in my price and fuel-efficiency range. I went to the Ford dealer where I bought my 2001 Focus ZX3 (they were a great dealer, both in sales and service--Signature Ford in Perry, MI). I test drove a 2011 Fiesta with the PowerShift dual-clutch automatic and a 2011 Focus SES with traditional auto. The Fiesta was the car I expected I would get, and it was a great car to drive, feeling more refined than it has any right to feel for a small car. The PowerShift transmission is great for a full automatic (normally I loathe automatics, but I have to get one so my wife can drive it since I bought an RX-8 with a stick shift). However, the Fiesta was just too narrow (small). The Focus was tedious to drive compared to my Mazda3 and the Fiesta. I hate it's automatic transmission, and it's not as much fun to drive as my 01 was.

The salesman could see I was not lit up by either car, and the Fusion, which I like, is more money than I want to spend. He knew I was on my way to the VW dealer near my house after I left, so they offered me a pretty good deal. They sold me a 2007 Focus SES with 5-speed manual at *their cost* (a bit more than $2,000 off the window price). They will basically pay me for the amount I don't use when the 2012 Focus comes out and buy the used car back from me. I'll probably end up having to roll a little cost into the new Focus, but I took out a two year loan, so it won't be much with the deal they made me. I'm probably the first person in the world to, in effect, pre-order a 2012 Focus (well, maybe not--who knows?). I sure hope the 2012 Focus is as good as I'm hoping, because I basically just ordered one! They're supposed to hit dealers very early next year, January or February from what I've read. The 2011s have already stopped production, I believe.

Last edited:
dude im so sorry to hear about your car man! :( it sounds like she had a good run tho!

Bummer indeed! I hate to ask so soon after her demise but, did you have a lot of mods on the car and will you be parting it out at all?

Buy the used engine man....but if you dont, you know a ton of people on here will gobble up your aftermarket parts.

Buy the used engine man....but if you dont, you know a ton of people on here will gobble up your aftermarket parts.

this is true! definitely let us know what parts your selling, i might buy depending on what they are :p

Ugh, no way would I spend even $2000 on a replacement engine for this car. It's been a constant source of problems for the last year-and-a-half. I love the car. It was great fun to drive and was crazy reliable for the first 4 to 4.5 years, but after that, it was one thing after another, pretty much every month or two. I spent almost $5,000 in maintenance and repairs in 2009 alone.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be parting much of anything out. I may try to sell the two sets of wheels and tires in my shed, but the stuff on the car now is being sold to the salvage yard. I have nowhere to keep the broken down car, so it's at the dealer's lot now, and I can't keep it there forever. The salvage company is giving me more money if I leave the Rota SDX wheels (Yamaha Black with Candy Blue lip) and Alpine head unit on the car. I don't want the hassle of trying to sell these things separately. I will probably ask if they'll give me more money if I include my boxes of OEM parts, OEM wheels (with used up snow tires), and really beat up bronze 5Zigen FN01R-C wheels (with decent snow tires). The Quaife ATB differential would cost me way too much money to remove to be worth trying to sell it.

That really sucks, good luck with the 2012 focus when you get it.

I had to say good-bye to my Mazda3 today. I'm going to really miss that car, even with the problems it's had in the last year-and-a-half or so. It was the best daily driver I've ever owned, and people complemented me on it everywhere I went. When a woman in a minivan races up to you on the expressway to shout out of her window that she loves your car, that says something. The guys at Discount Tire loved it, and the Yamaha Black with Candy Blue lip Rota SDX wheels it had on it.

Anyway, the 07 Focus is doing well by me so far. Two new Pirelli P6 tires cost a damn fortune for a temporary car, but what can I do? I can't go through the winter with rear tires that have almost no tread left. It seems to be getting some excellent gas mileage so far. I'll be interested to see how my gas mileage spreadsheet works out for this car. My Mazda3 did quite well. I forgot how the Focus likes to hold on to revs, though. It's annoying, but I'll get used to it (again). My Mazda3 didn't, and my RX-8 is quick at dropping revs when you hit the clutch.

sorry man! its to bad to hear it go! are you selling any of your old after market parts?

I'm giving away the old OEM parts if anyone wants them (and is in the mid-Michigan area to come and get them). That includes OEM intake parts and OEM springs. All I'm going to sell are the OEM wheels (with used up winter tires) and beat up 5Zigen FN01R-C (bronze) wheels with snow tires with probably 1/3 to 1/2 of their tread life on them. I won't ship those, though--too expensive for what they're worth. It'll have to be someone local.

I was thinking $75 for the OEM wheels. They're in good condition. There's just a little bit of bubbling of the paint right around the plastic Mazda center cap.

75 bucks each or all? If they aren't warped at all I may want them as one of mine has a warp from a ppothole because my wheel shakes now,,,damn toledo roads.

Yep, $75 for all. They do have a good number of miles on them, but as far as I know, they're perfectly round. They just need a good cleaning.

I'm actually probably going to be in Toledo this Saturday with my 8 year old son (doing Wildwood Metropark and the zoo--I'm from Toledo). I'm not sure if I can fit all four wheels and tires in my RX-8 along with the kid, but maybe that's an option if you want them.

Condolences on your loss... my 05 3 is still kickin' luckily, but I don't know for how much longer now. So... you're saying there's a perfectly good transmission with a Quaife installed in it at your local salvage yard? Do they know about the Quaife, or are they going to sell it off as a normal mz3 used transmission? If the latter, PM me the name of this salvage yard please so I can pick it up ;)

I live right by wildwood at mcord\brint near flower hospital...

How often do you come down? Im in no hurry so if we break it into two trips its fine if it all wont fit. Just let me know.

I really appreciate it...having an extra set wil let me get my bad wheel resurfaced...then I can finally get autocross tires and have a set of wheels for them!

Yeah, it really is sitting there with the Quaife. I actually tried to emphasize to them the equipment on the car, including the Quaife, but they didn't seem all that interested. So..., anyone in the mid-Michigan area might want to make a trip (soon) to Cat's Auto Salvage in Lansing.

Back