multiple water issues

asterix

:
Protege5, duh
Been getting lots of cold rain around here recently - last two times it poured, I threw a P0304 code (cylinder four misfire). Runs crappy until it dries out. Ordered new plugs and wires and am hoping that will fix the problem. I see no sparks coming from the coils when I mist them with a water bottle, so I think they're still good.

Also I have a pool of water in the area where the spare is, so much so that the rim is rusting pretty bad. Can I just drive with the two rubber plugs pulled so water drains out? I guess you worry about sh#t from the road coming in in that case. Maybe I just pull them after every heavy rain... And what to do about the pooling of water over in the sides where the jack storage is (and the equivalent area on the other side?) I read somebody just drilled a hole from underneath, but that scares me a bit.. Otherwise I can just use some silicone sealant and go all around the tail lights, I suppose.

Or move to the desert

Last edited:
I ran into water pooling in my spare tire area too. I popped out the rear plug one weekend and just let it drain and I wiped it off to dry. What fixed it for me was taking the three nuts off on each tail light and adding rubber washers before screwing the nuts back on. Been through multiple storms so far and it’s been bone dry back there for the past year. Hope that helps!

yeah thanks - just came back from tightening those nuts - the top one on each side was loose. Good idea about the washers.

... I read somebody just drilled a hole from underneath,....

Yea,.. That was me... The whole area rusted through eventually...

I just stuffed an oil soaked rag in there.

I don't care much if my car is waterproof,.. I just want it more rust proof.

Screenshot_2017-11-06-11-31-23.png

... I see no sparks coming from the coils when I mist them with a water bottle, so I think they're still good.

That may not be the case... Our coils are as fussy as hell and tend to fail intermittently and under heavy load.

If new plugs and wires don't fix your misfire problem then you should consider new coils.

... Can I just drive with the two rubber plugs pulled so water drains out? I guess you worry about sh#t from the road coming in in that case. Maybe I just pull them after every heavy rain...

If you can't find your leak, you could just cut a little notch outta the edge of the plugs and reinsert them... That way you don't have two 1 1/2" holes or any drill holes.

Don't forget to hose down all the wet areas with some sort of undercoating,.. like Fluid Film or Rust Cure.

thanks for that, PCB. I also have this issue after really heavy rain that the driver's side door fills up with water. It is fun to open and close the door and hear the water sloshing around. Not a huge issue cause I just pull those little clips at the bottom and it drains out. Never happened on the passenger side but that might be the orientation of my driveway and the fact that storms come from North/West.. I just need a bigger garage more than anything.

same here, i pulled and accidentally broke the clips under the door but that made all the water drain out lol

...I just pull those little clips at the bottom and it drains out...

Those are the drains,...
They're all fancy with a spring loaded one way flap on them !!!

They're crap,... They clog up with junk and plug the holes.

I removed mine years ago.

PS.. The area where the water is is exactly where you need rustproofing.

Way better off dripping oil than water..

Screenshot_2017-11-06-14-50-58.png

Screenshot_2017-11-06-14-51-07.png

Back