Ms3 Mpg

Not my experience. Your 3 is N/A, MS3 is turbo. The slower you go, the better the mileage readout shows as well. I drove to Hatteras last summer and most of it was 40 to 50MPH, and I got measured mileage of about 32.5MPG and trip computer said 36. I also drove 256 miles on a half tank when I usually only get 190 to 210. As I remember, the trip computer indicated the highest mileage was over 40 in 6th on flat ground at 40MPH, but this was also true at 35MPH in 5th -- not what I expected. I don't like running that slow; afraid of lugging the engine and trannsmission below 1700 or 1800 RPM.

My worst mileage was 8MPG at the track. Right at 12 gallons used in 98 miles.
I know that, I'm simply saying because it is a 4 banger and it naturally has more strain on it due to a smaller size, you should drive it with the RPMs a bit higher to get better mileage since that lessens the strain on the engine. If it was a V6 or V8 that would be a different story...

A naturally aspirated 4 cylinder and a boosted one are totally different.

Both Cobalts get better gas mileage now, driving exactly how you are saying not to, than the turbo ever did when it was still n/a.

This is because, I assume, the low revs allow the torque to do the work without going into to boost above vac.

That isn't to mention that a forced induction 4-cylinder may have V6 or maybe even V8 level torque very low in its curve.

A naturally aspirated 4 cylinder and a boosted one are totally different.

Both Cobalts get better gas mileage now, driving exactly how you are saying not to, than the turbo ever did when it was still n/a.

This is because, I assume, the low revs allow the torque to do the work without going into to boost above vac.

That isn't to mention that a forced induction 4-cylinder may have V6 or maybe even V8 level torque very low in its curve.
I know that. Especially in the Mazda3's, one's direct injection one's not all that crap...but I still stick with it that smaller less powerful engines (speed included) need to rev higher to do the same as a bigger more powerful engine.

I am happy to average 25mpg each and every tank recently, even in the winter, running winter grade fuel. Granted, I live in florida, but we had some cold snaps, and the gas is still winter blend like the rest of the east coast.

good enough for me, considering my last vehicle got 9mpg, 25 is great!

Winter? Ha-ha!
Your gas doesn't change from season to season.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm

Trip computer says I average 23mpg. My exact calculations (divide miles driven on a tank by gallons put in at time of refuel) put me between 18-19.5mpg.

275-280 Per a Tank, Although Not completely Drained. This is Mixed Driving, and on a Very Very Crowed I-270 Daily. Best tank iv gotten was 321 miles.

Generally suburban driving gets me right around 22.9 MPG when I drive like I want to. Which includes a mix of almost hypermilling around less crowded 30-35MPH zones, to full throttle "minivan blasters" as I like to call third gear pulls. Mostly I drive in between like the average driver, maybe a bit slower.

Damn.
I broke my record. Last tank I averaged 30.00 mpg! I musta been doing alot of downhill driving. Would be nice if every tank was that good.

was averaging ~280/tank before the cai, and when i got that put in, it's been a regular 320/tank, with your average city/freeway driving. and i've gotten 400 out of a tank several times, pre-cai, with nothing but highway driving.

sounds like you folks like to stomp on the gas more often than not.

was averaging ~280/tank before the cai, and when i got that put in, it's been a regular 320/tank, with your average city/freeway driving. and i've gotten 400 out of a tank several times, pre-cai, with nothing but highway driving.

sounds like you folks like to stomp on the gas more often than not.
Nope, car just sucks. Even if I drive it like it's gonna blow a rod over 3K RPM it still gets like 15-17 city.

sucks indeed. might as well have a truck.
Yup, that's my logic! lol (note sarcasm)

It used to be really great, 23 city 35 highway but ever since it just keeps getting worse and worse every tank.

Actually calculated my mileage this weekend when I went to fill up. Results... with fairly moderate driving in most all suburban driving:
17.85 MPG.... computer was giving me a consistant 22.2 MPG.

I don't really understand it either, but all cars get much much worse mileage in the winter than in warmer climates.

<snip>

At -30 if I start the car and lift off the clutch pedal in neutral the car will actually stall because the gear oil is frozen solid.

Dude, you definitely have some serious misconceptions. Gear oil frozen SOLID? Water pooling in the footwells (and in your climate where it's really freaking cold water = ice) ...?

Oh, man ....

I guess I ought to chime in. I drive my car really conservatively (old-lady-like) 80% of the time but I do occasionally like to get on it (and sometimes have to). Most of my driving is suburban, 25-45mph speed limits.

I usually get around 25 in the summer and 22-23 in the winter. That's from two years (two summers and two winters). ;-)

I usually get about 240 to the tank, I don't like driving under half a tank though as my car sucks gas in the last quater of the tank.

Dude, you definitely have some serious misconceptions. Gear oil frozen SOLID? Water pooling in the footwells (and in your climate where it's really freaking cold water = ice) ...?

Oh, man ....

I didn't know you had a learning disability.

I generally like to run the heater in winter, since you, cold and all. When snow melts it makes water - I know its pretty high concept, but you'll just have to trust me. This water slooshes around the floor matts and soaks into the carpet and generally makes a mess, and makes pedals all squeeky. Then when the car gets shut off, you'll be suprised to know that the heater no longer works. Then water freezes to ice. Crazy I know! WHAT A COUNTRY!

And yes, 90W gear oil gets pretty syrupy at -30. 'Frozen solid' is hyperbole.

Last edited:
Back