MP3 / Mazdaspeed Protege Conversion Guide

uclap5 said:
so has no one given the correct name for the "painted side mirror attachement thing. "?

:rolleyes:

There isn't really a name for them because they are part of the mirror. So in your honor from now on we will call them "the painted side mirror attachment thingy mabobber.":rolleyes:

Re: Re: MP3/Mazdaspeed conversion guide

1garnetredlx said:

Most of the people are looking to do the conversion plan on going turbo sooner or later anyway,like me.

exactly...(yes) boost is good..

Re: Re: MP3/Mazdaspeed conversion guide

1garnetredlx said:

[cruzer]-
Last time I checked these parts had little if nothing to do with looks.:) I can put the number down for the ECU but who is going to have the correct core to replace it? And who is going to want to pay that kind of money for 10hp at the absolute most?NOBODY. Most of the people are looking to do the conversion plan on going turbo sooner or later anyway,like me.

Tru dat, no one will prolly buy it, but if they are going to do a swap,
it would be a good idea to know what it is. Oh ok so defintely
this is just going for looks and not a full conversion, got it
straight. (thumb) .

1garnetredlx-

Your car is amazing. Great work and write up on the parts...should be useful to those interested in the conversion. I'm just blown away by how great that color looks with the conversion. Very unique and the color really suits the body style of the MSP/Mp3 because the stylings of the MSP/Mp3 aren't wild (so I don't think the color should be either) but that color brings out the lines nicely. Great work! More pics!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: MP3/Mazdaspeed conversion guide

[Cruzer] said:

Tru dat, no one will prolly buy it, but if they are going to do a swap,
it would be a good idea to know what it is. Oh ok so defintely
this is just going for looks and not a full conversion, got it
straight. (thumb) .
Stabalizer bars an struts have nothing to do with the looks. Not only that but who is going to buy the pedals(which are mostly for looks) for the kind of money that the dealer gets. People are going to want to pick out their own pedals that look better and are cheaper. You can get Sparco pedals for a lot cheaper than the MP3 Sparco ones.
I put down parts that are somewhat feasible to buy from the dealership. An ECU plus core charge isn't feasable. Terry's Microtech or Perfs piggyback are going to be a whole lot cheaper and do a whole lot more than the MP3 ECU anyway. Thanks for your input though.:)

Heathen23 said:
1garnetredlx-

Your car is amazing. Great work and write up on the parts...should be useful to those interested in the conversion. I'm just blown away by how great that color looks with the conversion. Very unique and the color really suits the body style of the MSP/Mp3 because the stylings of the MSP/Mp3 aren't wild (so I don't think the color should be either) but that color brings out the lines nicely. Great work! More pics!

Thank you very much! I bought the car right when Garnet Red came out in the 2002.5 model. Believe it or not, I signed the papers for the car before I even saw it. You can't imagine how awesome it looked when I saw it for the first time. Everyone that sees it thinks that I had a custom paint job done to it. The pictures don't even do it justice. When you see it up close it's crazy looking. There is a lot of metal flake in the paint! Once I get my turbo put on(soon,very soon) I plan on doing a photo gallery of the whole car.

does the side skirts and the rear skirt come with everything to attach them?? cause i wanna do this conversion

Yes they do(all equipment is included). All appologies but all other questions about my conversion will have to be directed to someone else. My Protege is finished for a while if not forever. I haven't even updated my mods; Alpine flip out tv, cd changer and PS2. All to name a few( Greddy a/f gauge and autometer f/p gauge). I haven't been on this site in quite some time. To all of you non-believers in the forced induction world, kiss my ass! I've driven my car for at least 4k (hard ass driven miles and raced many cars/1/4 miles) and have no problems. When done right, you can do anything to any car! I'll still be racing it and putting it in shows but as many of other people have come accross, have gotten my priorities straight. My future plans(including my Protege) have put my project on the "back burner." i still love my car but have to call it quits on this site. It's been lots of fun! Good bye!

hey, sorry for asking this, but i'm kinda retarded as to what i would need for just the front. I got a 02 LX, and just want the look of the front. I plan on getting different side skirts and rear. so i would just need to get this right?......
Front bumper cover
Lower mesh grille
Front lisence plate bracket
Radiator grille
Right fender splash shield
Left fender splash shield
Bumper reinforcement
Fog lights
Fog light jumper harness

Some of the stuff i know says it's optional to have, but is there a noticeable difference in looks? or even performance? like the fender splash shield. IDK, someone just guide me along this process. Thanks

you need:

Rebar
Bumper
Inner fender wells left and right
lower grill
upper grill(the old one fits just not very good looking)

the license plate bracket is up to you and your local laws. The fogs personaly, I would find a cheaper alternative like PIAA 540 ion lamps or something. Last time I checked those stock fogs and harnesses would cost you around 250-350(something like that) dollars for everything.

anyway, here are some of the numbers if you dont have them..

rebar BN7H-50-070A
Bumper BN7H-50-031-AA
L Splash guard B30P-56-140A
R Splash guard B30P-56-130A
lower grill B30P-50-1T1A

oh and yeah you really do need, the inner splash shield.. its what keeps the dirt and road crap from flying into your door panels and up into places it shouldnt. They arent that expensive so its well worth it(I think like 60 bucks each). I guess you dont really need the upper and lower grill, but only if you are going to replace them with something else cause if not you will have holes in your bumper. Also, the rebar is really important its basically what helps to keep another car from jamming your engine up into your lap.

Thanks Familia!
Familia323 said:
oh and yeah you really do need, the inner splash shield.. its what keeps the dirt and road crap from flying into your door panels and up into places it shouldnt. They arent that expensive so its well worth it(I think like 60 bucks each). I guess you dont really need the upper and lower grill, but only if you are going to replace them with something else cause if not you will have holes in your bumper. Also, the rebar is really important its basically what helps to keep another car from jamming your engine up into your lap.

(thumb)Did you get the pics of the 626? My e-mail has been messed up. I also made a new thread on the forum and posted a picture. I'm thinking by the end of next month we'll finally be a Mazdaspeed dealer! I can't wait. They sent a salesman ,service writers and a technician to a 2 day class in Texas but no parts people! I was pissed. Oh well.
Familia323 said:
no prob... :) nice to see you kind-of posting again.

yeah i did. Sorry I havent replied back. I had 2 tests today to study for, and worked 21 hours this weekend. The car looks pretty classy man.. Its like the pimp car. :) Sweet.. now you can actually get MS parts. And no I didnt get to the last meet.. but there is another one on May 23rd you should think about going to it seriously, I am.

Familia323 said:
yeah i did. Sorry I havent replied back. I had 2 tests today to study for, and worked 21 hours this weekend. The car looks pretty classy man.. Its like the pimp car. :) Sweet.. now you can actually get MS parts. And no I didnt get to the last meet.. but there is another one on May 23rd you should think about going to it seriously, I am.
Yea, it's a little ghetto but you should have seen it with the 14's and Wal-Mart hub caps. So I put the MP3 wheels on it and it looked like crap with a ton of wheel gap so I got the coil-overs. I should be able to make it on the 23rd.

OK im confused its not listed but do u need different fog light brackets. I have a es with fogs do they take different ones.

1garnetredlx: I wasnt saying your car is ghetto, i think it looks pretty good. Good, I hope you do make it to the meet.

Laser03pro: Im not sure on that one, I bought Piaa 540 Ion lamps instead. My first guess would be yes you need to, but I dont know.

Back