Mike's 2018 CX-9 Signature

Photo taken during a pink sunset..

20210605_214847.jpg

Did an oil change with Kirkland Signature 5W-30 oil and OEM oil filter w/ new crush washer (Aug. 3, 2021). Mileage at the time of the oil change was 58.5k kms.

I also took a sample of the used oil, and I'll be sending it out for analysis today or tomorrow.

Just read through every post of this thread and I love those wheels you added. Were you able to re calibrate the speedometer or are you just dealing with the speedometer being off?

Just read through every post of this thread and I love those wheels you added. Were you able to re calibrate the speedometer or are you just dealing with the speedometer being off?

Thanks! I just deal with the speedometer being slightly off. The variance is pretty minimal (about .5 km/h difference at around 100km/h) so I don't even have to think about it.

Its been almost a year with the vossen wheels and last night got 1 of my wheels scuffed getting out of a drive thru..living in new York is a challenge to keep wheels perfect, trying to find some paint for satin bronze? Any recommendation

Satin bronze is definitely hard to match. I use a nail polish as touch up paint for my wheels, but its nowhere near a perfect match. It's quite durable though. I would suggest checking out your local Shoppers/CVS for a nail polish that might match.

If you wanted something closer, you could try an automotive paint mixing shop?

So I had a UoA done on an oil sample I took from my last oil change at 58500 km. I got the results and they don't look good. Potassium was reported to be high, which suggests an internal coolant leak. I got this UoA done for free, so I'll do one more at 65000 km (currently at 62000 km) and take it from there.

Attachments

• 2018 Mazda CX-9 AWD_ENGINE (1).pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 322
So I had a UoA done on an oil sample I took from my last oil change at 58500 km. I got the results and they don't look good. Potassium was reported to be high, which suggests an internal coolant leak. I got this UoA done for free, so I'll do one more at 65000 km (currently at 62000 km) and take it from there.
Thanks for sharing these updates, will be watching with interest.

Swapped to my winter tire set over the weekend.

20211107_171225-jpg.304508

Last edited:
Just catching up..

2018 May: Oil and filter change, tire rotation, and general inspection done at L.A. Mazda in Leduc, AB at 7000 kms.

2018 Oct: New winter tires installed on OEM wheels at 13000 km. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, tire rotation, and general inspection done at home at 14000 km.

2019 May: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, tire change to summer wheels, and general inspection done at home at 21500 km. Winter wheels have 6000 kms.

2019 Oct: UoA sample taken for analysis. Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 29000 kms. Winters installed. Summer wheels have 10127 kms.

2020 May: Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 37000 kms. Summers installed. Winters have 14396 kms (8396 this season).

2020 Oct: Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 45000 kms. Winters installed. Summers have 20119 kms (9992 this season).

2021 May: Noted low coolant level. UoA sample taken for analysis. Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 53000 kms. Summers installed. Winters have 18881 kms (4485 this season).

2021 Aug: Coolant low. Previous UoA indicated high levels of potassium. New UoA sample taken. Kirkland 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 58500 kms.

2021 Nov: Coolant low again. Previous UoA indicated high levels of potassium, as before. New UoA sample taken. Kirkland 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 64000 kms. Winters installed. Summers have 32220 kms (12101 this season).

And a quick MGM appreciation post before the winters went back on..

20211106_090805.jpg
20211106_090852.jpg

I also realized that I forgot to mention a mod that I did when I first got my summer wheels 2019. I needed a set of aftermarket lug nuts for my aftermarket wheels, so I ordered a set of titanium lug nuts. Here is the difference in weight between five OEM lugs and five titanium lugs.

20211107_161344_capture.jpg

20211107_161417.jpg

The difference is about 46g per corner.

@sm1ke, have you heard of any DIY mod to make the driver/passenger side mirrors have that auto-fold feature?

This is what I found when I did a google search. It seems that others have tried it and were successful. One of the reddit commenters said he did it on his 2016.5, but I'd assume that it might be a lot of work.

Results from the UoA came back, and its more of the same. Looks like I have an internal coolant leak somewhere. There do not appear to be any signs of an external leak (at least as far as I can tell).

The UoA also shows fuel dilution at 5.9%, but that might be because I took the sample when most of the oil had already drained out. In any event, if I do have a fuel dilution issue, it doesn't really matter if I'm getting a new engine anyway.

I had planned to change the spark plugs soon, but with this coolant leak issue, I'm going to hold off. No sense in replacing the plugs if they're going to replace the engine. I'm still within the powertrain warranty, so the plan is to get in touch with the one of the local dealers and Mazda Canada so we can determine the next steps moving forward. I'm not sure when I'll get around to that, but I'll be sure to post updates as they happen. I shouldn't have any issues getting the engine covered under warranty, but you never know.. worst case scenario, I shorten my OCIs, top up coolant as needed, and ride it out for the next few years until I decide on a suitable replacement. But I'll cross that bridge if I get there.

Attachments

• 18 CX-9 UOA_11252021.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 124
Oh man, very sorry to hear this. Keep us updated on how your issue is handled.

Last edited:
Back