Mike's 2018 CX-9 Signature

Oops, sorry! So the noise has pretty much gone away, but it's probably because it's much warmer now. In the colder temps, from what I remember, the noise was more pronounced before the motor mount was replaced. So it seems to have quieted down a bit, but it's still there. Could be due to less load on the HVAC since I don't use it as much when the weather is nicer.

I just checked the coolant level, and its right at the Full mark. Car has been sitting for about 8 hours, and temps are very mild today (0c). Don't know what to make of the coolant situation at this point, but I'll keep monitoring..

We are now at the beginning of August. Since the last dealer appt, I've been monitoring coolant levels periodically, but I haven't sent in any oil samples for analysis. Coolant level has stayed consistent, so I don't know if I was just doing something wrong or they fixed something and didn't tell me. Oh well. I'll continue to monitor.

Maybe they just tightened a clamp or something? I've been monitoring my levels as well and so far no change. I had the dealership replace the coolant last year actually. If your levels are still the same after all this time, there's not much chance of an internal engine coolant leak. Those tend to just get worse and worse with time, not auto-heal.

Maybe they just tightened a clamp or something? I've been monitoring my levels as well and so far no change. I had the dealership replace the coolant last year actually. If your levels are still the same after all this time, there's not much chance of an internal engine coolant leak. Those tend to just get worse and worse with time, not auto-heal.

Yes, it's likely that either the dealer did something minor that resolved the issue, or maybe that the oil analysis lab I was using was somehow misreporting the potassium levels in my samples.

I've had like 6 or 7 Blackstone UOA reports now for our CX5, all fine, but the one I just sent in a couple weeks ago came back showing coolant in the oil. They said I should send another sample after ~4K miles to verify. Definitley not what we wanted to hear, after we just paid off the car.

I've had like 6 or 7 Blackstone UOA reports now for our CX5, all fine, but the one I just sent in a couple weeks ago came back showing coolant in the oil. They said I should send another sample after ~4K miles to verify. Definitley not what we wanted to hear, after we just paid off the car.
On a 2014 CX-5? Those don't have a Turbo, so that's probably not related to the issue the CX-9s are afflicted with. Are we seeing cracked blocks on non-turbo engines as well?

On a 2014 CX-5? Those don't have a Turbo, so that's probably not related to the issue the CX-9s are afflicted with. Are we seeing cracked blocks on non-turbo engines as well?
Sure hope not. We can’t afford another car payment right now.

Man I've been bad with keeping this up to date lol. Spark plugs were changed just over a month ago, they looked fine and probably could have gone another 64k kms just fine.

Rear brake pads need to be changed so I ordered up some new pads and rotors from RockAuto last week. Still waiting on them, but they should be here this week, then I'll be attempting to DIY the rear brakes. Hope it all goes well! I'll be using this guide and the video below as reference material.

20220812_153703.jpg

Follow up on the coolant issue. Level still appears to be close to the Full mark after letting the car sit. I'll continue to monitor.

Had a chance to finish the JB4 install?

Embarrassed to say, not yet 😬

I haven't even tried since the last time. I think I just need to make peace with the fact that I have to take the bumper off. Maybe I can also squeeze in a horn upgrade with the bumper off. I'll set aside a Sunday morning for this, hopefully before the end of the month.

Parts for rear brake maintenance came in a couple of days ago. New rotors and pads from Powerstop.

20220816_163752.jpg

20220816_182834.jpg

20220816_182914.jpg

Will be installing these hopefully this Sunday. Going to also try to pull the front bumper off so I can finally install the JB4 and the aftermarket horns.

EDIT: I also weighed one of the rotors using my bathroom scale. One rotor weighs in at 13lbs. I'll weigh the OEM rotor as well afterwards, just for curiosity's sake.

Last edited:
Also for the record, I'm aware of the potential down sides to using a drilled/slotted rotor (additional noise, risk of stress cracks developing around the holes). I'm hoping they last at least 4-5 years, but just in case they don't, I'm holding onto the OEM rotors.

Also for the record, I'm aware of the potential down sides to using a drilled/slotted rotor (additional noise, risk of stress cracks developing around the holes). I'm hoping they last at least 4-5 years, but just in case they don't, I'm holding onto the OEM rotors.
I have slotted rotors. I worried about the noise too but so far they've quiet except in reverse. Make sure you pay attention if they have specific direction.

I have slotted rotors. I worried about the noise too but so far they've quiet except in reverse. Make sure you pay attention if they have specific direction.

Yeah it looks like they have stickers on each rotor that specify which side they go on. Initially I wanted slotted only rotors but none were available locally or through RockAuto, and Powerstop currently has a $15 USD mail-in rebate offer going for the month of August.

Would you mind posting a pic of your car with the slotted rotors? Which brand did you go with, and what pads did you pair them with?

They're subtle and hard to spot behind the 20s.
I think R1 Concept is the only company I've found that carry slotted only. I went with their "oe" pads which supposed to be low dust and same bite. Not low dust at all but no complain with the stopping power. As mentioned, zero noise except when in reverse. Overall very happy with them.

Attachments

• 20220404_103259.jpg
    20220404_103259.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220404_110146.jpg
    20220404_110146.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220404_102738.jpg
    20220404_102738.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220404_120744.jpg
    20220404_120744.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 97
Got my new rear rotors and pads on. Powerstop Z23 Evolution Sport kit (K7742).

20220903_140546.jpg

I weighed the old rotors, and they came in at 12.2lbs each. Rotor width was at 11mm.

Wrist is still bugging me so I'll have to delay the JB4 install.

Just catching up..

2018 May: Oil and filter change, tire rotation, and general inspection done at L.A. Mazda in Leduc, AB at 7000 kms.

2018 Oct: New winter tires installed on OEM wheels at 13000 km. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, tire rotation, and general inspection done at home at 14000 km.

2019 May: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, tire change to summer wheels, and general inspection done at home at 21500 km. Winter wheels have 6000 kms.

2019 Oct: UoA sample taken for analysis. Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 29000 kms. Winters installed. Summer wheels have 10127 kms.

2020 May: Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 37000 kms. Summers installed. Winters have 14396 kms (8396 this season).

2020 Oct: Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 45000 kms. Winters installed. Summers have 20119 kms (9992 this season).

2021 May: Noted low coolant level. UoA sample taken for analysis. Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 53000 kms. Summers installed. Winters have 18881 kms (4485 this season).

2021 Aug: Coolant low. Previous UoA indicated high levels of potassium. New UoA sample taken. Kirkland 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 58500 kms.

2021 Nov: Coolant low again. Previous UoA indicated high levels of potassium, as before. New UoA sample taken. Kirkland 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 64000 kms. Winters installed. Summers have 32220 kms (12101 this season).

Catching up again..

2021 Nov: Latest UoA shows high levels of potassium again. Raised issue with GG Mazda, who said they made copies of the UoAs and opened a case with Mazda Canada.

2021 Dec: New battery from Costco installed at home at 66000 kms.

2022 Feb: GG Mazda pressure tested the coolant system and did an inspection with Mazda Canada's guidance, and found no evidence of a coolant leak. Will continue to monitor.

2022 May: Kirkland 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 71500 kms. Summers installed. Winters have 26381 kms (7500 this season).

2022 Aug: Replaced rear rotors and pads (Powerstop) at 76000 kms, done at home.

2022 Oct: Kirkland 5W-30 and Mazda OEM filter, and general inspection done at home at 80000 kms. Winters installed. Summers have 40720 kms (8500 this season).

Back