MazdaSpeed3 Towing Hitch

Europa was def fiberglass. The last Lotus that was not mostly fiberglass was the 7. This is not counting cars like the Cortina and Omega, etc. that were based on other cars.

There you go. And I can't see anybody welding a roof rack to a Lotus Seven.

800px-1965LotusSevenSeriesII.jpg

I just spent the afternoon installing my Curt hitch. Easy? My Ass! 25 minutes, my ass! Just drilling the holes was a major project, going thru two 1/2" bits doing it. I think the material on the sides must be must be tempered.

Just a bit of a warning to everyone. I could have had the hitch shop do it for minimal money and now wish I had done so.

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting the Curt 11384 hitch, and Curt also sells a wiring adapter - part number 56011. Has anyone successfully used this adapter for the lights? I might pull my small trailer with one MX bike, but my main intention for a hitch is to bring my mountain-bike around with the Thule hitch setup.

Also, my Thule has a 2" hitch setup, anyone see an issue with using a 6" adapter to go from 1.25" to 2" ? The bikes will just sit out 6" more.
CU_D-185.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting the Curt 11384 hitch, and Curt also sells a wiring adapter - part number 56011. Has anyone successfully used this adapter for the lights? I might pull my small trailer with one MX bike, but my main intention for a hitch is to bring my mountain-bike around with the Thule hitch setup.

Also, my Thule has a 2" hitch setup, anyone see an issue with using a 6" adapter to go from 1.25" to 2" ? The bikes will just sit out 6" more.

There is a trailer place here where all the bike guys go for trick installations. They basically take a stock carrier like yours and fab it to fit up angled hitches under the bumpers of cars never meant to have hitches. I don't see why they couldn't just cut off the 2" part of your hitch and weld in a 1.25" section. If you ever need to use it in a 2" receiver, you can get the opposite adapter. The adapter you show should be fine, but you will have to watch your departure angle closely.

Hey guys,

CU_D-185.jpg

I don't know, man. I was driving around yesterday with 2 FS XC bikes on a rack (front wheels in trunk) attached to the 11384, and the whole setup flexes quite a bit when going over bumps. I firmly believe that the 11384 is the best hitch for this car, but I'd be wary about extending the bikes an additional 6" behind the car, due to the extra leverage that the setup would put on the hitch.

Attachments

• 2008_07_26_RCDO_01.jpg
    2008_07_26_RCDO_01.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 310
I think the welding idea is a good one.... so even though it'll be extended, it'll be welded and strengthened. I know a really good welder (cheap too) that can also help me brace it up if needed.

I think the welding idea is a good one.... so even though it'll be extended, it'll be welded and strengthened. I know a really good welder (cheap too) that can also help me brace it up if needed.

I wasn't suggesting welding that adapter. I was suggesting having your welder cut the 2" section off the Thule rack and weld on a 1.25" one. Then, if you ever have to use that rack on a 2" receiver, you can use the female 1.25" to 2" adapter.

Hey guys,

CU_D-185.jpg

My Thule rack is a 1.25'' and 2'' capable. I just had to remove 2 screws to remove outer material to get it down to 1.25''. Are you sure yours doesn't do this? This might make it easy.

I am also curious if anyone has used the wiring kit. I want to get it; however, they don't have any instructions online. If it is plug 'n play that would be sweet. Does anyone know?

I will have to find out about that, my friend lent me this since he sold his truck which had a 2" receiver. I ordered my parts yesterday through Summitracing.com, after talking to Curt Hitches... the 56011 will not work, but they said to get the 55187 - not plug and play - needs to be wired to your brake and signals, along with your battery for its own power. But it will work.

I will have to find out about that, my friend lent me this since he sold his truck which had a 2" receiver. I ordered my parts yesterday through Summitracing.com, after talking to Curt Hitches... the 56011 will not work, but they said to get the 55187 - not plug and play - needs to be wired to your brake and signals, along with your battery for its own power. But it will work.

Do they have instructions for doing that our are we on our own?

Tks,

battle cry ......sits in corner for hours ....NO!!!!!!! lol ...i really dont see a problem with a hitch ...i have a truck and i tow so much i will cry the day that it dies ....91 sonoma 4.3 port injected ...265539 miles going down soon but hope not to soon

The hitch is working out great... Just installed it yesterday in about 20 minutes and today we took the bikes out for a ride. It is somewhat bouncy with 2 bikes, but we generally go somewhere about 2 miles down the road so as long as i'm careful I have no worries.

Attachments

• P8100006 (Medium).JPG
    P8100006 (Medium).JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 487
  • P8100008 (Medium).JPG
    P8100008 (Medium).JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 453
So I live in Tampa and did a trip to Miami this weekend. I had Uhaul install a tow hitch to my car and it cost me $150 for the install (with wiring) and $200 for the hitch.

I have a Harley Nightster and my trailer is a basic bar frame trailer with two ramps for the bikes. I can easily lift it and move it around so I can't imagine it weighs that much.

I put the bike on the back and after setting my cruise control at 70 mph, I was able to tow the bike for six hours with no issue at all. The car doesn't even really notice the extra weight and the ride was smooth.

The best part about all this is that when you take out the ball attachement, you can't even see that this car has a trailer hitch :) It is far enough under the car that you have to actually bend down and look to see if it's there.

I am now planning on taking longer trips up to Georgia so I can do riding in the mountains. If you have a light trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to tow something with this car.

Oh, and another thing, I was somehow able to get the best mileage I have ever gotten out of my car during this trip. That's while towing my bike and having the A/C on the whole way. It's amazing how much gas you save by only going 70 mph. (lol2)

So I live in Tampa and did a trip to Miami this weekend. I had Uhaul install a tow hitch to my car and it cost me $150 for the install (with wiring) and $200 for the hitch.

I have a Harley Nightster and my trailer is a basic bar frame trailer with two ramps for the bikes. I can easily lift it and move it around so I can't imagine it weighs that much.

I put the bike on the back and after setting my cruise control at 70 mph, I was able to tow the bike for six hours with no issue at all. The car doesn't even really notice the extra weight and the ride was smooth.

The best part about all this is that when you take out the ball attachement, you can't even see that this car has a trailer hitch :) It is far enough under the car that you have to actually bend down and look to see if it's there.

I am now planning on taking longer trips up to Georgia so I can do riding in the mountains. If you have a light trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to tow something with this car.

Oh, and another thing, I was somehow able to get the best mileage I have ever gotten out of my car during this trip. That's while towing my bike and having the A/C on the whole way. It's amazing how much gas you save by only going 70 mph. (lol2)

Pics? I am especially curious how they did the wiring...

How did the rear suspension hold up? Did it bottom out at all, etc.?

So I email HitchSource.com asking them if the Curt 11384 hitch will fit my '09 Speed3.

I get a response saying "At this time the Curt Mfg. Mazda 3 hitch does not fit the Mazda Speed3".

From what I have read hear, I am calling BS. What do you guys think? Is their anything different on the '09 speed3 that would make this not work? I want the hitch for bikes/carrier only, no towing.

Thanks,
ScottZ

So I email HitchSource.com asking them if the Curt 11384 hitch will fit my '09 Speed3.

I get a response saying "At this time the Curt Mfg. Mazda 3 hitch does not fit the Mazda Speed3".

From what I have read hear, I am calling BS. What do you guys think? Is their anything different on the '09 speed3 that would make this not work? I want the hitch for bikes/carrier only, no towing.

Thanks,
ScottZ

There are no changes to the 2009 MS3...from the 07-08 models; just interior trim.

They don't have it listed in their application guide, so their default answer is, "It doesn't fit".

It's nothing personal, they're just covering their asses.

How did the rear suspension hold up? Did it bottom out at all, etc.?

Sorry, I haven't been on here a while. The car handled the load with no issue at all. If I didn't have a bike staring at me in the rear view mirror, I wouldn't have known I was towing anything, it was that easy.

This car can tow anything with a class one hitch which is 2000 lbs.

If you call U-haul, they'll set you right up.

Back