Mazda5 wins another #1 pick....

Not surprising. The avg family is buying Chrysler/Oddy/Sienna.

Lots of older retired people or single weird people drive the Mazda5. Makes sense for them owning this withtout kids.

The demographic of Mazda 5 owners who actually have families-i.e. kids (you can check this at Mazda NA HQ in Irvine) tend to be mostly poorer (non black) people who cant afford the 40k Sienna/Oddy.

It is the reality. I know all 8 of us owners are all rah rah about how "zoom zoom" the Mazda 5 is. While THAT IS TRUE, the avg buying demographic of the Mazda 5 don't give a crap about its driving abilities. They care its cheap, and it can get their family there.

These families are living paycheck to paycheck and happy with the 200-250$ amonth car payment.

Lots of older retired people or single weird people drive the Mazda5. Makes sense for them owning this withtout kids.

The demographic of Mazda 5 owners who actually have families-i.e. kids (you can check this at Mazda NA HQ in Irvine) tend to be mostly poorer (non black) people who cant afford the 40k Sienna/Oddy.

It is the reality. I know all 8 of us owners are all rah rah about how "zoom zoom" the Mazda 5 is. While THAT IS TRUE, the avg buying demographic of the Mazda 5 don't give a crap about its driving abilities. They care its cheap, and it can get their family there.

These families are living paycheck to paycheck and happy with the 200-250$ amonth car payment.

Interesting, I would think that the gc would be better suited for low income considering it's price point with more Cargo storage and more seats

Interesting, I would think that the gc would be better suited for low income considering it's price point with more Cargo storage and more seats

The GC has much more income variance. I.E. the "buy American crowd" buys a loaded to the gills one ($45k), whereas a guy in INglewood can buy a stripper Grand Caravan (19K)

You can buy a Grand Caravan (just MSRP comparison) from 20k-29k.
You can buy a Town and Country from 30k-42k

As you can see the delta of the cheapest vs the most expensive is very different than the Mazda 5.

Old people (retired, no kids, or kids don't live with them), can easily make a Mazda5 a DD. It is cheap, easy to get in and out of and has perceived Japanese reliablity.

In Los Angeles, my non scientific poll is Mazda5 is often driven by Asians. I never see black families in them. I hardly see sometimes with caucasian women. One white woman I know driving one, is married to an asian guy.

Even racially, Mazda5 is an outlier. Not to mention 99% of the local Mazda5 all have the UPC code in rear window, indicating its a rental car.

Mazda5 is like a townhome complex. You don't know if it is owner operated or rented (eyeballs)

I wonder if you remove fleet sales for the Mazda5, how pathetic the numbers would be.

Last edited:
In Los Angeles, my non scientific poll is Mazda5 is often driven by Asians. I never see black families in them. I hardly see sometimes with caucasian women. One white woman I know driving one, is married to an asian guy.
haha! guilty. (hi)

it's cuz they/we are shorter/tinier hence have little-r children who fit in the captain chairs. also the grandmas are petite as as hell (5' even) and fit in the 3rd row. i let a tall dutchy friend test the car, and his toddler's kneecap was jammed into the driver seat. wasn't gonna happen

I let inlaws routinely sit in the 3rd row :D noting the "difficulty" in repositioning kids seats to the back

LOL

Tony-you making me hungry for a white girl again!

Lots of older retired people or single weird people drive the Mazda5.

C'mon, socialcarpet isn't that weird.

In my neck of the woods, my unscientific survey shows most other 5 drivers are elderly. I don't think there are any 5's in rental fleets around here.

My personal decision was not entirely financial, because I can afford more, but it was a conscious trade-off on more spacious size for slightly better fuel economy and driving dynamics.

In my neck of the woods, my unscientific survey shows most other 5 drivers are elderly. I don't think there are any 5's in rental fleets around here.

My personal decision was not entirely financial, because I can afford more, but it was a conscious trade-off on more spacious size for slightly better fuel economy and driving dynamics.

RIght..social carpet needs his own planet.

I think most people in THIS forum, don't fall in the demographic. They enjoy driving dynamics, and can afford more.

As far as the MPG, with the gains other automakers have been making, the Mazda5 doesn't fall in the good MPG that much any more (mpg was one of my buying reasons as well, also handling, and cheap people mover)

I'll be the devils advocate and say it's a plot by autoguide to kill two birds with one stone. Population control and finish off the existing MZ5...old people buy the MZ5 because it's recommended for them, they get in an accident in an "unsafe" vehicle according to IIHS the old folks die and the MZ5 gets totaled. End of story. LOL!

^^^
Does FL have the highest number of registered MZ5?

Keeping it Messican. Old people dying are important to balance out the 5.5 kids that the avg Messican family has. So shouldn't the Messican government be subsidizing the purchase of MZ5 for old white folks in America?

God knows an old Messican couple wouldn't be caught dead in MZ5. They like Ford F150s.

:D

Last edited:
God knows an old Messican couple wouldn't be caught dead in MZ5. They like Ford F150s.
idunno about this one. the local paisa elderly likes Burbans & Expos. few wknds ago I was kickin' it in DTLA produce market (getting some barbacoa de res, natch), and 10 people of all ages spilled out of an Expedition, with grandpa driving. they brought their own table and stools after ordering the beef roast from the truck.

(in hindsight, this visual is SO not as good as the housewive vehicularly banging the grad students by the freeway underpass).

(in hindsight, this visual is SO not as good as the housewive vehicularly banging the grad students by the freeway underpass).
YOU said it :D

Expeditions are just F150s with a factory made roof..... my point stands :)

I hate those nasty ass behemoths old and new both Burbans and Expos...big pieces of rolling s***.

Always thought that, BUT....

My friend owns a Caddilac Escalade EXT..we take to Mexico for Thanksgiving every year. Recently had Expedition long wheel base rental in Dallas.

THey are NO fun to drive. BUT they are the ONLY two cars sold in teh US, where you can have 8 passengers, AND Have all their luggage INSIDE the car.

Lexus LX470, Inifinit QX, none of those can boast it.

In the Caddy/Exp you don't need roof racks, you don't need anything. Pretty cool way to travel, if you like traveling in a big group.

I rather have myself a Sprinter Diesel..but that is another matter entirely.

Also GM does amazing Air Conditioner.

I couldn't agree with this more. The only way Mazda really could have sold significantly more Mazda 5's in the U.S. is if they made it a sexier, more masculine looking crossover, but that would put it in direct competition with the CX-5, or if they made it bigger and cushier, which would have put it in competition (somewhat) with the CX-9. Though..MPV/crossovers are still really popular in Europe and other places where people are not as concerned about how macho their cars are and they don't want to drive aircraft carriers like the Honda Odyssey.

I'm a little surprised Mazda did not make a revamped 5 for Europe and Asia at least. I really just don't see most people who are in the market specfically for a vehicle like the 5 going with a CX-5 (too small inside, too many compromises) or a CX-9 (too much more expensive than the 5 and also full of SUV compromise). Maybe the minivan/small wagon audience isn't all that large, but I believe Mazda is losing sales by not offering them something. I actually went into the Mazda dealer leaning very strongly towards the CX-5, in spite of the fact it's an SUV/CUV, not because of it. I would have gotten one but the understeer, interior comfort/ergonomics, too-deep clutch and 2.0's inability to move 3400 lbs with any kind of authority quickly killed that notion. In contrast, I loved the 5 immediately after driving it. Not in love with the looks, but everything else about it is fantastic and beauty is only skin deep as they say.

I still think there is room for a Mazda 3 or 6 sportwagon in the line-up. I wish Mazda would give us one or the other. I considered a 3 hatch until I saw the truncated cargo area and just how small the car is inside. You can barely put a weeks worth of groceries in that thing with the rear seat up. *sigh*

I'm really really hoping that this SUV as the answer-to-every-question trend will end soon and real wagons will make a comeback. The only reason I bought a Mazda 5 because it's a Mazda 3 wagon wearing a minivan costume.

Also GM does amazing Air Conditioner.
and stock systems that bump bass. oddly, the trucks can't stop worth s***. the s1500 was one of the scariest vehicle i've ever driven... at least you can groove to the thump while crashing into another escalade? (no)

and stock systems that bump bass. oddly, the trucks can't stop worth s***. the s1500 was one of the scariest vehicle i've ever driven... at least you can groove to the thump while crashing into another escalade? (no)

Agree. Brakes are horrible. Also take a look at 6-7 year old escalade...amazing how terrible the quality of product is. Thigns falling off, panel gaps...

i considered a 3 hatch until I saw the truncated cargo area and just how small the car is inside. You can barely put a weeks worth of groceries in that thing with the rear seat up. *sigh*

I don't know how much groceries a single guy needs. I had MR2/Miatas which were big enough for me.

My MS3 with 2 child seat in the back, has PLENTY of space for a family of 4 and its costco runs in the back seat. Never had a problem.

Heck, my Lexus CT200, which has MUCH smaller cargo than the MS3 (due to battery) is perfectly fine for my Costco runs...

Maybe FL groceries are different.

No.... I'm definitely pretty weird. lol

I do not fit the demographic for a Mazda5 or minivan buyer at all I don't think. I'm a single guy in my 30's working in healthcare and marketing. Most of my contemporaries drive BMW 3 series, Audi's, RX330's etc. I probably fit the profile of a 6 driver and I might be one....if Mazda offered a manual 6 Touring/wagon, but I don't do sedans anymore. It's a useless body style that's all fashion and no function. The only thing worse is a coupe.

So I bought the 5 because I wanted a sporty Mazda wagon and after one test drive, I confirmed that this is exactly what the 5 is, just doesn't look like it. Luckily I am the type of person who truly doesn't care about image and gives zero f***s what other people think. Most people I know were a little amused by my choice, but once they rode in the 5 and I explained what I like about it and told them what I paid, no one questioned the decision at all. Not saying any of them would have bought one, they wouldn't, but my choice made perfect sense to them once they were aware of the facts.

Latest posts

Back