Mazda5 wins another #1 pick....

I don't know how much groceries a single guy needs. I had MR2/Miatas which were big enough for me.

My MS3 with 2 child seat in the back, has PLENTY of space for a family of 4 and its costco runs in the back seat. Never had a problem.

Heck, my Lexus CT200, which has MUCH smaller cargo than the MS3 (due to battery) is perfectly fine for my Costco runs...

Maybe FL groceries are different.

Hahaha it's not really about groceries. I like to go camping with friends, wakeboarding, boogie boarding, weekend trips etc. I go to Home Depot. I just discovered a while back how nice it is to have that extra room when you need it. Even if it's just a few times a year, going to Ikea or Best Buy and not being able to take your purchase home with you easily sucks. My lifestyle includes plenty of activities (aside from massive grocery shopping) that put the space to use. In my point of view, there is NO advantage to not having the extra room, so I want it. I'd be happy to have a Miata as a second/weekend car though. The 3 doesn't feel roomy enough to me. I could get by with it, but "getting by" isn't really what I'm looking for. A guy in my demographic with my interest/activites would ordinarily buy an SUV, but I like driving too much to find one I was happy with.

Once I saw the CX-5 wasn't satisfying enough to drive for me, I stopped barking up that tree as everything else either handles worse than a CX-5, has no manual transmission option or both. I considered a BMW X1... but well you know my deal with transmissions. You would think BMW of all companies would have a damn stick shift, but no. 8 speed automatic flappy paddle thing. I'm not giving in until all that's left with a manual is the cheapest econoboxes and a handful of sports cars. The day that happens, and it's probably inevitable the way things are headed, I will cave in and get a damn automatic. Until then I row my own while I can.

If I don't want to sacrifice any of the things that are important to me, the only choices I really had left were a Mazda 5 or a Golf Sportwagen, or maaybe a Subaru Forester with $2000+ in suspension upgrades. The 5 seemed to make the most sense to me and... here I am.

Last edited:
Hahaha it's not really about groceries. I like to go camping with friends, wakeboarding, boogie boarding, weekend trips etc. I go to Home Depot. I just discovered a while back how nice it is to have that extra room when you need it. Even if it's just a few times a year, going to Ikea or Best Buy and not being able to take your purchase home with you easily sucks. My lifestyle includes plenty of activities (aside from massive grocery shopping) that put the space to use. In my point of view, there is NO advantage to not having the extra room, so I want it. I'd be happy to have a Miata as a second/weekend car though. The 3 doesn't feel roomy enough to me. I could get by with it, but "getting by" isn't really what I'm looking for. A guy in my demographic with my interest/activites would ordinarily buy an SUV, but I like driving too much to find one I was happy with.

Once I saw the CX-5 wasn't satisfying enough to drive for me, I stopped barking up that tree as everything else either handles worse than a CX-5, has no manual transmission option or both. I considered a BMW X1... but well you know my deal with transmissions. You would think BMW of all companies would have a damn stick shift, but no. 8 speed automatic flappy paddle thing. I'm not giving in until all that's left with a manual is the cheapest econoboxes and a handful of sports cars. The day that happens, and it's probably inevitable the way things are headed, I will cave in and get a damn automatic. Until then I row my own while I can.

If I don't want to sacrifice any of the things that are important to me, the only choices I really had left were a Mazda 5 or a Golf Sportwagen, or maaybe a Subaru Forester with $2000+ in suspension upgrades. The 5 seemed to make the most sense to me and... here I am.

You said groceries, I pointed out the flaw of your argument, as I actually live with a car you are bashing, then you changed your point to "wakeboarding...and home depot."

Nice attempt at recovery.

You should buy a Cayenne with a manual trans. You get the space for your groceries, prestige in your career field, and you get a manual trans.

I mean it isn't amazing as an X1 or MZ5, but it gets the job done ;)

Cayenne also isn't made by Mexicans, so you should be good, since you care about Japanese and German precision.

Good luck

RIght..social carpet needs his own planet.

I think most people in THIS forum, don't fall in the demographic. They enjoy driving dynamics, and can afford more.

If Mazda offered a Mazdaspeed 6 Touring with a manual... or a regular 3 wagon..or a 6 wagon.. or they had done a better job with the ergonimics of the CX-5 interior and dialed out a lot of that understeer, there's a great chance I would not have bought a 5. Difficult as it may be for some to believe, I genuinely bought the car on the lot that I liked the most. I could have bought anything Mazda sells, they aren't exactly six figure supercars, but I have a strong affinity for manual transmissions (as you've clearly noticed) and my needs and wants are pretty simple. I just don't care about a lot of the options many/most other people want. I don't care about power seats or a moonroof I'll never use. Leather is nice, but not nearly enough for me to choose one model over another. The only factors which can make or break a deal for me are handling, interior room and comfort and availability of a good manual transmission. Horsepower, gadgets and screens, heated seats that jerk you off etc. are nice, but I can take them or leave them. Yes, I'm weird. I'm a one man demographic segment. What can I say?

You said groceries, I pointed out the flaw of your argument, as I actually live with a car you are bashing, then you changed your point to "wakeboarding...and home depot."

Nice attempt at recovery.

You should buy a Cayenne with a manual trans. You get the space for your groceries, prestige in your career field, and you get a manual trans.

I mean it isn't amazing as an X1 or MZ5, but it gets the job done ;)

Cayenne also isn't made by Mexicans, so you should be good, since you care about Japanese and German precision.

Good luck

I used groceries as an example, man.

I'm not bashing the 3, it's awesome. I love the 3. I just like having an excess of room in the car because I got used to it and it's a lot easier when I want to recreate with people or buy bulky stuff from time to time and I only have one car, that's all. A 3 wagon would be great for me, the 5 is the next best thing I figure.

I don't care about prestige and a Cayenne would be a financial burden for me.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings because you're half Mexican or your girlfriend is from Guatemala or whatever is going on there. Why don't we both try to move on? By continuing to have this raging hard on for me all you're doing is proving that I got under your skin.

Here's a protip for you: If you want to "win" then act like you don't give a crap and ignore me. (drinks)

we should really lay off socialcarpet and Floridians (except the bit about how they didn't know how to vote... )

cuz, really, despite having basically lived in Mexico (East Los, same thing), having shitted out more cabeza than I care to remember, and enjoying slapping treviasa booty, I would not buy a Mexican built car. I don't care how MexiCAN the local immigrants think they are. MX fridge, yes (I own). MX washer, yes (also own), but no ******* way I'm hauling the familiar around in a Vento. Ditto to Geely's. Maybe in 20 years.

I used groceries as an example, man.

I'm not bashing the 3, it's awesome. I love the 3. I just like having an excess of room in the car because I got used to it and it's a lot easier when I want to recreate with people or buy bulky stuff from time to time and I only have one car, that's all. A 3 wagon would be great for me, the 5 is the next best thing I figure.

I don't care about prestige and a Cayenne would be a financial burden for me.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings because you're half Mexican or your girlfriend is from Guatemala or whatever is going on there. Why don't we both try to move on? By continuing to have this raging hard on for me all you're doing is proving that I got under your skin.

Here's a protip for you: If you want to "win" then act like you don't give a crap and ignore me. (drinks)

As a constant beer drinking messican, I can't get a hard on... alcohol prevents it.

good day

I have always liked wagons. In 2005 I was in the market for a wagon to replace my 1994 Chevy cavalier rs wagon. At the time my wife and I had two kids. When I stumbled on the 5 I knew it was the perfect vehicle. For a family of 4 I think the 5 is the perfect vehicle, I really thougt the 5 was going to take off in America.

Back