2009 Mazda5 Apple CarPlay Infotainment Update

Hey all,

First time poster. Thanks for this thread! I got the same unit from Amazon for $20 off, and I worked my way through the install on the ol' 2009 Mazda 5. It is working. I didn't think steering controls worked, but after re-reading this thread, I found the little option screen too.

Not sure how to do automatic dimming?

I hooked up all of the cables in the back since there is plenty of space. Someday, I may do a deep dive and try to get the backup cam and a dash cam installed.

With that said, my only complaints are the sluggishness, although Carplay works fairly well, the fact that the top of the unit doesn't "snap" into place (but it works), and that internet on the go isn't an option. I thought with my iPhone connected via USB or whatever, I could access the internet. The time always is wonky on it - like in the future. But I guess I would have to use my iPhone as a hotspot for it to work? Not sure.

Any other tips, let us know.

I had to swap the little clips off the top of my old radio to make the new one snap in.

For the time to set correctly I had to change the time zone that was set and then connected to Wi-Fi.

I had to swap the little clips off the top of my old radio to make the new one snap in.

For the time to set correctly I had to change the time zone that was set and then connected to Wi-Fi.

Thanks for the tip on the... clips.

I have connected it to wifi and set it manually, and it always runs ahead like 30 minutes. So weird. I will keep tinkering with it.

I got a very similar model, seems like there are a couple of them on Amazon. The Description on Amazon states Android 11, mine came with Android 12. For the cost, I am really shocked at how nice it is. The only real issue I have is it doesn't seem to hold the time on the clock. I love that the steering wheel controls are built in and all you have to is program it.

Back