Mazda5: Prices paid and related questions

Year: 2008
Trim: GT
Color: Copper Red
Tranny: Auto
Any extra accessories: Wheel locks
Sale Tax Rate: 7%
Price you paid for your Mazda5(including tax, title, fees) $23,029 - 0%/36 months

Last edited:
How have you guys done compared to the sticker price...went to the first dealer today and was offered sticker and after a half hour, a whopping $300 below sticker...Has this been normal experience (maybe New England is different?)

Trim: Touring

Sale Tax Rate: % 7.75

Price you paid for your Mazda5(including tax, title, fees)

$21471.19

Price too good to be true?

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the "Price Paid" thread but we haven't bought the car yet so here goes...

Shopping for a 2008 Mazda5 via e-mails with dealers. Found a dealer with several Sport Auto trim models with only Pop. Equip. Package as the option, puts the car at $20,070 MSRP, $18,790 Invoice, Edmunds TMV $19,172. The salesman has quoted me a price of $18,233 including all fees (but before tax/tag/registration).

AFAIK, Holdback for Mazda is 2% of base MSRP, so holdback is ($20,070 - $490) x .02 = $391.60. It appears that the dealer is still losing about $150 by offering this price, which makes me worried that there may be some "fee" or last minute "charge" the salesman will pull out of his hat at the last minute.

This dealer is a bit of a drive for me (about 6 hours one way) so I don't want to head down and find out the deal isn't as advertised. I've asked for a faxed contract to make sure everything is kosher, but I still wonder. None of the nearby dealers will even come close to this price, but this salesman has been prompt and forthcoming with information and quotes...

What do you think?

I think a dealer will never sell a car at a loss. So forget about that. If the price works for you, buy it.

Calculate your taxes, find out the cost of your title, plates, registration fee , Then add that to your quote you received. After you figure this out, ask for a out the door price from your dealer. This is how you can figure if there are any hidden fees.

I have a couple of offers on the table that are similar, but not quite as good...

Sticker 19855- quote 18595
Sticker 19615- quote 18395

Basically the out the door price is the same as sticker...

I have Pop Package on both of mine so the price seems reasonable (see below, mine are both MT though, while cheaper than AT, I was not that willing to let them go :D)

If you are willing to drive that long, check Autotrader, seen good stuff in there as well...

• 2006 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Carbon Gray, Popular Package, OEM Fogs, Cargo Cover, Winter Mats. $18300. July 2005
  • 2008 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Stormy Blue Mica, Popular Package, Bumper Step, Wheel Locks, Winter Mats. $18200. December 2007
  • PA
  • Don't recall the rest of the sales items :(

dealer can sell a car way *below* invoice when they sold enough cars to get incentives from Manufactuer..

ex: my 08 Sport auto with added side sill extention and rear spoiler (PEP minus 6 cd changer)

out the door price of $18520(including 3% tax, TTL, $395 doc fee, 2 years of oil and lube)

i got mine on last day of Jan this year.

Ask for the mileage before you go to the dealer, make sure it wasn't a demo/loaner car that has a few miles on it and but technically sells as a new car.

Also before you sign give the car a thorough going over for scratches and interior blemishes, if you find something and still want the car, use that to reduce the price further.

Calculate your taxes, find out the cost of your title, plates, registration fee , Then add that to your quote you received. After you figure this out, ask for a out the door price from your dealer. This is how you can figure if there are any hidden fees.

I have the "out the door" price too and got a fax this evening with numbers that fit. Salesman says it's not a program/demo car--he's offered similar pricing on all of their in-stock 5's. Seems like a good deal and the time is just about right for a new car for us, not to mention the zero-down zero-interest financing which is worth nearly a grand in interest on the cash we can leave in the bank. Most of the other dealers within a large radius of my location want substantially more for the 5, that's why I'm still a bit leery. I guess I don't really know anything about the incentives dealers get for sales volume, but that makes sense.

BTW, the out the door price is about $19,600 (at 6% sales tax + 1% on the first $5,000, the state $100 "new vehicle" fee, etc.) for a Crystal White Pearl with PEP and Cargo Net as the only options.

I have the "out the door" price too and got a fax this evening with numbers that fit. Salesman says it's not a program/demo car--he's offered similar pricing on all of their in-stock 5's. Seems like a good deal and the time is just about right for a new car for us, not to mention the zero-down zero-interest financing which is worth nearly a grand in interest on the cash we can leave in the bank. Most of the other dealers within a large radius of my location want substantially more for the 5, that's why I'm still a bit leery. I guess I don't really know anything about the incentives dealers get for sales volume, but that makes sense.

BTW, the out the door price is about $19,600 (at 6% sales tax + 1% on the first $5,000, the state $100 "new vehicle" fee, etc.) for a Crystal White Pearl with PEP and Cargo Net as the only options.
If you are sure this is the car you want and are ready to buy, You should take the drive and be prepared to bring it home. If it turns sour you lost a day and about 200 bucks in gas but if it works out you got a deal you can't get near you.

my offer still stands on S-Plan...ask your dealer if S-Plan will get you a lower price. As noted elsewhere YMMV on whether the dealer can beat S-Plan....If you need a S-Plan PIN, PM me.

Trim: GT - Galaxy Grey
Any extra accessories: None yet
Sale Tax Rate: 8.5%
Price you paid for your Mazda5: $21,398 + $1823(tax) + $277(title/fees) = $23498
0% financing for 36mo

Finally pulled the trigger:

Trim: Sport
Any extra accessories:
-Crystal White Pearl paint
-Cargo Net
-Popular Equipment Package
Sales Tax Rate: 7.5% (1.5% of which only applies to the first $5000)
Price you paid for your Mazda5(including tax, title, fees)

$18,233.95 + $1169.04 (sales tax) + $230.45 (tag, title, first-time reg)

$19,633.44 out the door with zero-down zero-interest financing.

Our 2008 Stormy Blue Sport AT (No additional options) was $17,734 (S-Plan price) + $1064 (tax) +$240 registration, licensing, doc fee = $19,040 out the door.

Sticker for this vehicle was $18945

I paid 17500 for an 08 Auto sport with pop equip package\pearl paint\ TINTED windows from back doors back. They also paid me a ton more than my 06 5 was worth as a trade in which helps. The 08 was used by the mazda plant in flat rock michigan for 4 months and has 6k miles on it but the plastic was still on the carpets and not even taken off. Smells new. He is ordering me another key for free. I had the choice of getting it new for the splan price but I vouched for the used, 30 bucks a month difference was enough to win me over.

I picked up a private party used 2008 Touring,
2 months old, under 2,000 miles for $17,000
Could not tell it from new. Hell my wife/kids have trashed it more in 2 weeks.

Pearl white paint
Cargo net
Door edge guards
Bumper step plate
Full window tint

$900 in sales tax (which is a rip off since the PO paid the freaking state $1400 2 months earlier on the same car (rant))
$110 transfer tag & title

So the equivalent of $18,010 "out the door".

Last edited:
Ok, so for a while i've been looking at the Mazda 5. In February of this year I started inquiring online and this is what I got:

Los Angeles Area, California
Puente Hills Mazda:2008 MZ5 GT A (Sport)
crystal white pearl mica/sand (interior)
MSRP $23,200
"Special" internet/fleet price $21,580 plus tax and lic. fees
"Quote includes all destination charges.

Puente Hills Mazda: 2008 MZ5 TR (Touring)
Stormy blue mica/black (cloth interior)
$19,272 plus tax and lic. fees.

I couldn't get any quotes from Alhambra mazda as they wanted me to show up in person, put money down and wait for them to arrive. They were currently on their way over.

Anyhow, I was going for a GT because of the navigation and b****'en headlights. Not a fan of leather, but there's no choice in the matter. Then I found out about the 2010 model probably having the new engine, so i might get a used mz5 and then trade that in for a 2010.

I am going to start pricing again and will report in! Thanks for all the info you guys have provided.

OH, and if mazda releases their hybrid mz5 i'll definitely get that!

Last edited:
Back