Mazda5 Interior / Cargo Flexibility Photos

2012 Mazda5 Long-Term Test Drive: Really Packs It In!

I acknowledge that we have a new forum section for the 2012+s, but the interior configuration has not changed much so check this out :)

The 2012 Mazda5 that Im test-driving on a long-term basis has proven to be an absolute gem when it comes to hauling the family. I also learned over the weekend how easily it transforms into a lean, mean cargo-hauling machine.

My husband shipped a crate of furniture to the U.S. from China for his business and had a little room to spare in his overseas container, so we ordered some new patio furniture (photo below) for our home directly from the Chinese factory where its manufactured. The only challenge was figuring out how to get it from the shipping crate to our home. Enter the Mazda5.

By folding the third row flat, tipping the second-row captains chairs forward and then sliding them forward to butt up against the front seats, we managed to make a cavernous cargo area. We were able to fit the patio furniture set with a three-seat sofa, two-person loveseat, single armchair and a huge rectangular coffee table with a glass top in the back of the Mazda5.

Are you as impressed as I was?

12_Mazda5_FurnitureBoxed.jpg

12_Mazda5_Furniture.jpg

[MotherProof.com]

First, Um...the second row folds flat. I must be missing some information here.

Second, did you look for furniture made in the US?

First, Um...the second row folds flat. I must be missing some information here.

Second, did you look for furniture made in the US?

Those were my thoughts too, but you can ask her in the motherproof.com link, that is where the post comes from :D

Just a thought, but with the second row moved forward and the seats tipped all the way forward, there is a deeper cargo area (albeit shorter) between the folded rear seats and the second row seats.

Brought home 2 8' 1X2's and 2 8' 2X2's plus 3 26" X 8' sheets of corrugated plastic to build a lid for my son's sandbox.

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

Shifting was a bit difficult, and I had to bend down the plastic to change lanes to the right, but otherwise, it worked pretty well! It's a short drive home from Lowes. :D

Last edited:
sometimes I long for those old wagons that had a roll down rear window. you could always hang long pieces of lumber out the back if you had to. now, I just put the thule load bars on for the warmer weather because I KNOW I'll be hauling something sooner or later.

2012 Mazda5 Long-Term Test Drive: Great DIY Project Assistant

12_Mazda5_HomeImprovements.jpg

About a month ago, my family and I purchased a new home (three tween girls sharing a bathroom wasnt contributing to the family peace). While we purchased a larger home, we bought a distressed property out of foreclosure to stay within our budget and have spent every spare moment renovating much of it ourselves. Ikea has become our new best friend, and the 2012 Mazda5 is our perfect DIY companion.

By folding the third row flat and flipping and folding the second row, we were able to fit a full-sized table saw in the back of the Mazda5, not to mention two full-sized boxed toilets to replace the strange miniature toilets that were in the house previously. I think we could have fit three or four toilets in the Mazda5, but the expert loader at the hardware store couldnt figure out how to make that puzzle work.

With the second row and half of the third row up so our three kids in booster seats could be securely buckled in, several flat-boxed kitchen cabinets fit in the cargo space. Extra long kitchen trim pieces slid right down the middle of the car, occupying the space between the two captains chairs.

The next challenge is moving all our stuff from one house to the other using nothing but the Mazda5. On second thought, maybe we should rent a U-Haul truck.

[MotherProof]

That's a new way of putting two bikes on a rear rack. Is there any special reason why you don't rotate one of the bikes 180 degrees so the handlebars don't interfere? That way the bikes will not protrude as far from the side of the Mazda5.

The Mazda 5 Music Edition

Here are a couple shots. Getting ready for a gig. Contents include a full bass rig with a 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab and the rack, the guitar amp, two pedal board cases (one hard, one soft), two basses, two guitars, bags, my son and the guitarist. Love this thing...Mazda5 loaded-resized1.jpgMazda5 loaded-resized2.jpg

Oh wow, didn't know this thread existed! Should have taken some shots today on the way back from the in-laws...

That's a new way of putting two bikes on a rear rack. Is there any special reason why you don't rotate one of the bikes 180 degrees so the handlebars don't interfere? That way the bikes will not protrude as far from the side of the Mazda5.

Just saw this, because with the assortment of bikes that I put on it, it just works out better overall. With them staggered, I know the bars/pedals of one aren't going to interfere with the other no matter the combination of the 20", 24", either 26", the 29", or either road bike between the 5 of us. The picture is deceiving, they only protrude maybe 6" either side max.

Not sure if anyone has tried or even does this on a regular basis... but I just had three rear facing car seats in our 5. I had our twins (18 months old) convertible seats rear facing in the second row and a infant rear facing seat in one of the third row seats. In order to make room, I had to slide the second row seat that was in front of the infant seat all the way forward... and so had to move the front passenger seat quite far forward as welll.

My wife was driving and even though there was not much space, her friend was able to sit comfortably in the front passenger seat. This was just a one-off event and wouldn't be practical to do regularly, as the only way to access the infant seat was front the rear hatch. But, in a pinch, it is possible to do safely and comfortably.

And with only one of the rear seats in use there was lots of room for all the kid/baby crap.

I'm all too familiar with the 'you move a little forward' bit; when we got our M5, our oldest was 9 and the little guy was a newborn.
well, the 9yo is now a tall and lanky 12yo, and the newborn is a rambunctious 3yo (with the long suffering almost 10yo sister in between)
the 12yo wants to always sit up front now for legroom and there is constant fighting for the limited square footage. I'm hoping to keep the M5 for as long as possible, but the future looks like a FOrd Flex for family hauling duties and the M5 will become my commuter.

You have got to be the Dave from the Corral. I used to be on there quite a bit back in the day,went by "Quicklx". That dog on the left is Turbo right?

Bumping this thread...

We always complained about the limited space behind the 3rd row, until you need to hold your three medium pizzas steady. It works out great (lol2)

112520121304_small.jpg

Let's see any small or even mid-sized SUV do THIS

Picked up from Sears - Nordictrack's largest treadmill, a 350 lb 40 degree incline treadmill. Placed a sheet of plywood over the cargo section, slid the shipping pallet right over it, cinched it across the back. Only complaint is I did get some damage to the rubber seal--but it was already cut up a bit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back