Mazda Oil Filters. M1 and Wix?

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin

Not liking the latest Mazda 2.5T oil filter after reading this article. What are most people using? Definitely not Fram I hope. Wix 51365? Mobil 1. M1-108a ? I crossed that mobile filter into Wix and discovered Wix now makes 57002 which has the correct 15 micron rating and correct higher 11-14 psi bypass spec, and no drain back valve. Supposedly the 57002 was made specifically for the skysctive G engine. I normally would just go with the Mazda but there is a lot of chatter that filter might not be the best. And yea yea, I know all about not giving Mazda a reason to void my warranty by using a crap oil filter. I am looking past that. I want to find a filter that will be my engines “forever filter” :)

Mazda list two different OEM filters for the NA and Turbo engines. WIX cheapen out and lists one for both engines. Neither filter is a CRAP filter.

Not liking the latest Mazda 2.5T oil filter after reading this article. What are most people using? Definitely not Fram I hope. Wix 51365? Mobil 1. M1-108a ? I crossed that mobile filter into Wix and discovered Wix now makes 57002 which has the correct 15 micron rating and correct higher 11-14 psi bypass spec, and no drain back valve. Supposedly the 57002 was made specifically for the skysctive G engine. I normally would just go with the Mazda but there is a lot of chatter that filter might not be the best. And yea yea, I know all about not giving Mazda a reason to void my warranty by using a crap oil filter. I am looking past that. I want to find a filter that will be my engines “forever filter” :)
Nobody knows better than Mazda engineers. They came out specs and manufactured the OEM oil filter to meet ALL required specifications for engines they designed. OEM oil filters will always be better than any aftermarket oil filters, period.

You’ll see all aftermarket oil filters use “one-size-fit-all” approach to save their cost. A single aftermarket oil filter will be listed for dozens or even hundreds of engines as long as it fits.

Wix 57002 and the Napa equivalent came out many years ago claimed to be designed to meet exactly the specs for SkyActive-G 2.0L and 2.5L. Now they claim the same Wix 57002 is also for Mazda’s 2.5T whereas Mazda uses a different OEM oil filter with different specs. Anyone with a common sense can tell the Wix 57002 can’t have “dual” specs to meet both 2.0L/2.5L and 2.5T!

Just stick with Thai made OEM 1WPY-14-302 Denso oil filter that’s the best oil filter available for your 2.5T in the US and you’ll be fine.

Or you can get the same Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter installed in factory for your 2.5T from partsouq.com in UAE (also on eBay), and you can get it within a week like you order parts from US online sellers.

2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

Just avoid those confusing OEM “Value” oil filters used by Mazda dealers for lower cost such as PY8W-14-302-MV and PE01-14-302A-MV from Mexico.

Here’re a couple of oil filter documents from Mazda:

6511FB4B-8216-49E6-8B79-94957FA072F1.jpeg

135A8FB5-9F5B-4A12-9739-857657ED6933.jpeg

I read somewhere that now Mazda is listing just the Thai filter for both T and NA engines.?? That would be interesting if true. The Turbo engines call for 5w-30. Do the NA engines call for same viscosity? I thought I read 0w-20 ?

I read somewhere that now Mazda is listing just the Thai filter for both T and NA engines.?? That would be interesting if true. The Turbo engines call for 5w-30. Do the NA engines call for same viscosity? I thought I read 0w-20 ?
There’re 2 different OEM Thai made oil filters for the 2.5L and the 2.5T. In US, Mazda had superseded Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filters installed in factory by Thai made OEM Denso oil filters.

Mazda OEM oil filter part numbers:

Mazda2 1.5L:
B6Y1-14-302A.

Mazda CX-5 2.5L NA:
PE01-14-302A (Japan) / PE01-14-302B (Japan) ->
1WPE-14-302 (Thailand) / PE01-14-302A-MV (Mexico).

Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T:
PY8W-14-302 (Japan) ->
1WPY-14-302 (Thailand) / PY8W-14-302-MV (Mexico).

Mazda recommends 0W-20 oil for the 2.5L NA in the US, but Mazda also recommends optional 5W-30 oil worldwide.

And Mazda recommends 5W-30 oil for the 2.5T.

Like I mentioned before you can get Japanese Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter directly from partsouq.com website or the same seller partsouq on eBay. But be aware most US online sellers will ship PY8W-14-302-MV or 1WPY-14-302 even if you ordered PY8W-14-302.

Good info. Thanks. I would have a hard time using 0w-20 knowing that it's approved in other regions. Only advantage of using oil that thin is you get oil pressure on startup quickly. It's recommended for CAFE, not for health of the engine

Good info. Thanks. I would have a hard time using 0w-20 knowing that it's approved in other regions. Only advantage of using oil that thin is you get oil pressure on startup quickly. It's recommended for CAFE, not for health of the engine
You got it reversed!

I said in my previous post that Mazda recommends 0W-20 oil for the 2.5L NA (non-turbo) in the US, but Mazda also recommends optional 5W-30 oil worldwide.

And Mazda recommends 5W-30 oil for the 2.5T everywhere, even in the US!

You have a 2.5T (turbo), and you should use 5W-30 oil, and make sure it’s full synthetic!

Nope I didn't get it reversed. You misunderstood. If you re-read my post again my point was that the lite oil is not for the health of the engine it's for corporate CAFE numbers. If what you're saying is true on your previous post that Mazda says it's okay to use 5w-30 in NA engines in other regions of the world than that pretty much makes my point for me

I applaud your tenacious attitude. Will look forward to your selection process. Yes, the battle for the “Forever Filter” should be a good skirmish. I’m “leaning” towards a Napa Gold or Mobile-1, myself. But “leaning” does t mean I can not upright myself when presented with good quality analyses. Look forward to your post.

Nope I didn't get it reversed. You misunderstood. If you re-read my post again my point was that the lite oil is not for the health of the engine it's for corporate CAFE numbers. If what you're saying is true on your previous post that Mazda says it's okay to use 5w-30 in NA engines in other regions of the world than that pretty much makes my point for me
It would be interesting 🤔 to get Mazda corporate feedback answer on why 5w-30 is ok in skyactiv-na engines elsewhere but not US. Makes no sense especially when parts of US are in same geographic temperate zones as China, Japan, Europe, etc. Why does it have to be 0W-20 in US and could it be more wear and tear on engine?

Don't discount CAFE standards as to why specs are different from one nation to another.

You got it reversed!

I said in my previous post that Mazda recommends 0W-20 oil for the 2.5L NA (non-turbo) in the US, but Mazda also recommends optional 5W-30 oil worldwide.

And Mazda recommends 5W-30 oil for the 2.5T everywhere, even in the US!

You have a 2.5T (turbo), and you should use 5W-30 oil, and make sure it’s full synthetic!
It doesn't matter what you think.... the factory fill is 0W20 for the non-turbo SkyActiv-G engines, and 0W20 is the recommended JDM oil... 0W20 is also sold at mazda dealers around the world... the allowance for 5W30 is just simply to account for lack of availability of 0W20 at 3rd party parts stores in developing countries. These engines were always engineered for 0W20 oil, unlike the MZR engines which ran better on 30 weight oil because they were really just spruced up Ford Duratec motors that were around since the mid 90s

Back