Mazda mobile start discontinuation options and lease vs. buy questions

ArunGupta

Today I received an email from Mazda saying that MMS will be discontinued starting 9/30/2021. This is not new, as my dealer had already told me about this. As of today, Mazda is offering three options:

a) Get the current MMS system deactivated by an authorized dealer, submit all the usual proof to Mazda and get a $400 check. Mazda is no longer offering to install remote start as these are in short supply.
b) Get Apple Car Play/Android Auto installed.
c) Get $1000 towards lease/purchase of a new Mazda.

My questions are:
01. I have 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring. This car already has wired Android Auto, I use it very frequently. Never tested Apple Car Play. So, option b) is not an option for me. Does anyone know if the Android Auto/Apple Car Play system which Mazda plans to install will be wired or wireless? The dealer could not tell me that.
02. I leased this Mazda in March 2019 3 year/36k miles. Because of pandemic, I have been working from home since March 2020 onward. The work from home will continue in near future also. The car, as of today, has 11,500 miles on it. Does it make sense to buy this vehicle? I will get a low mileage vehicle for lot less.
03. If buy is a good option, should I get the MMS system deactivated and claim the $400 check? I can put the money towards getting a better third party remote start system installed. There are some good recommendations on this forum.

I am not very car savvy person, so any pros and cons will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Arun

Today I received an email from Mazda saying that MMS will be discontinued starting 9/30/2021. This is not new, as my dealer had already told me about this. As of today, Mazda is offering three options:

a) Get the current MMS system deactivated by an authorized dealer, submit all the usual proof to Mazda and get a $400 check. Mazda is no longer offering to install remote start as these are in short supply.
b) Get Apple Car Play/Android Auto installed.
c) Get $1000 towards lease/purchase of a new Mazda.

My questions are:
01. I have 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring. This car already has wired Android Auto, I use it very frequently. Never tested Apple Car Play. So, option b) is not an option for me. Does anyone know if the Android Auto/Apple Car Play system which Mazda plans to install will be wired or wireless? The dealer could not tell me that.
02. I leased this Mazda in March 2019 3 year/36k miles. Because of pandemic, I have been working from home since March 2020 onward. The work from home will continue in near future also. The car, as of today, has 11,500 miles on it. Does it make sense to buy this vehicle? I will get a low mileage vehicle for lot less.
03. If buy is a good option, should I get the MMS system deactivated and claim the $400 check? I can put the money towards getting a better third party remote start system installed. There are some good recommendations on this forum.

I am not very car savvy person, so any pros and cons will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Arun

A related thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/mazda-mobile-start-app.123872791/#post-6708036

I believe the ACP/AA offered is the OEM Mazda kit, which is wired.

If you're happy with the CX-9, and don't see yourself needing/wanting to get into a different vehicle, I would certainly consider buying out the lease.

Since you already have AA, I'd opt for the $400 payout. That's just my opinion though.

"...Android Auto/Apple Car Play system which Mazda plans to install will be wired or wireless? The dealer could not tell me that."
Often better information about an option is available from a parts clerk.

Consider an electric heater for the engine water jacket instead of remote start if you have a place to plug it in. The engine will be fully warm in a very short distance of driving with the heater blasting at you. The engine will start off with cleaner exhaust and run better during its shorter warm-up period.

I had (wired) Apple Car play installed in my 2018 CX9 GT AWD. I use it very often (as I prefer Waze to the factory navigation).

Regarding your lease buy out, given your milage and the used car market, you're very much 'in the money' so it makes sense to buy out your lease (even if only to turn around and flip the car).

Personally, with the way the car market is currently, I would buyout the lease and then flip the vehicle if you so choose to.

I would also go the route to buy out the lease and claim the $400. Right now, new car lots are getting bare and the prices of used cars are high. With such low mileage on your CX-9, I would definitely keep it. No telling when the new or used car market will straighten out.

I would also go the route to buy out the lease and claim the $400. Right now, new car lots are getting bare and the prices of used cars are high. With such low mileage on your CX-9, I would definitely keep it. No telling when the new or used car market will straighten out.
Go with this option!

Back