Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

Add my 2021 Signature to the list with this oil consumption issue. I just hope no damage was already done to my engine.

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
So the engine oil is burned during the combustion and not leaked?

Yes, zero leaks. Just burning oil faster than normal apparently due to defective valve stem seals.
Here is mines:

Cx5 new:
1671224217521.jpeg

oil changed at 2,948mi 1/29/22:
1671226518018.jpeg

checked today (6,900mi) 12/16/22:
1671226556279.jpeg

Looks good?

My low oil warning light came on and I was not yet due for an oil change service so that's why I took it in and was told about the cause since there are no leaks.
It is the owner’s responsibility to periodically check the oil level in his engine. Waiting until the “too late light” comes on is not being proactive - you should never see the light. Many manufacturers have the “excessive” oil use issue, they often state that using a quart in 650, 1000 or 1500 miles is “normal”.

Wow thats the biggest tsb i have seen lol
Yikes, looks like a very technical job which involves taking a lot of the engine apart. Hope the dealer service techs know what they are doing.

This whole thing has been in progress for over a year, and it's been very interesting to watch it unfold from beginning to end.

When Mazda first discovered the issue sometime last year, I suspect they did quite a bit of internal hand wringing, trying to figure out what their repair strategy was going to be. I think it's fair to say that automakers across the board feel very uneasy about the idea of large-scale, non-routine warranty repair campaigns. They naturally fear getting lots of customer complaints and bad press as a result of repair job failures, some perhaps even resulting in bigger problems than the original issue.

However, with this valve stem issue, Mazda realized that probably a large percentage of these 2021 Turbo engines would ultimately need to be fixed. And the alternative repair choices of engine replacement or cylinder head replacement/repair would likely be a lot more expensive and/or problematic than the new stem seal replacement procedure that they were considering.

They obviously spent lots of time developing the stem seal tool set and procedure, and very likely did quite a few revisions and changes during the testing phase. That they spent so much time developing this completely new repair procedure from scratch is even more noteworthy, considering that they had publicly admitted to this issue way back in 10/2021, and also indicated that a resolution would be delivered. So a loud clock was ticking and there must have been a great deal of pressure from the VPs (with their bonuses at risk) to get this procedure out to the dealers quickly.

I guess someone must have had heavyweight clout, to be able to successfully push back against all of that; and do everything that was necessary to feel as comfortable as possible about what they were developing. One really good indicator of how Mazda feels about this whole thing is the bit about the job being limited to master techs only. And the amazing amount of detail in the procedure (plus video instruction), shows how much effort they put into this. They've obviously tried to do everything possible to make this campaign a complete success, and thus far every stem seal repair report I've read has been positive.

I'm not a Mazda fanboy, or any other automaker for that matter either. However, taking everything into consideration, when it comes to this repair campaign, I'm giving Mazda full credit for doing a very fine job.

It is the owner’s responsibility to periodically check the oil level in his engine. Waiting until the “too late light” comes on is not being proactive - you should never see the light. Many manufacturers have the “excessive” oil use issue, they often state that using a quart in 650, 1000 or 1500 miles is “normal”.

Yes. agree with your post that drivers need to check their oil but the burning excessive oil is still unacceptable.

Never had this problem in any of my 2007 and prior vehicle until the cars/engines had lots of mileage(over 150 k) and over 12 years or so before they started burning more oil.

This is a diverging problem.
Most of society is more busy lives and checks their car fluids less often, if at all.
Meanwhile, car manufactures are now trying to weasel their way out of problems by saying "it's normal"

Excessive oil combustion is wearing/ your engine faster, coking your engine and ruining your cat not too mention costing alot of extra $$ in oil.

Everyone wants to pass the buck and justify the problems.

Imagine if a nuclear reactor plant was told by their contractor/builder that
"Hey, you need to check your plant and welds/seals for radioactivity more often and replace the welds
every couple months cause it's NORMAL for them to start leaking now in our newer improved reactors. Thats just how these new reactors are."

It's absolutetly ridiculous.

New here and just purchased a 22 CX-30 NT for my daughter. Been wrenching on cars most of my life and thought this might be pertinent to the thread. Although the video is produced by a certified Toyota Master Technician, it relates to most modern cars. "Low Tension Rings". Skip to 3:48...

Yikes, looks like a very technical job which involves taking a lot of the engine apart. Hope the dealer service techs know what they are doing.
Wow, yikes is right! It's exactly the kind of procedure I wouldn't want on a car that's a year old, the plan has too many moving parts. I can see why they only want master techs doing this. Everyone is prone to missteps even a master tech.

This whole thing has been in progress for over a year, and it's been very interesting to watch it unfold from beginning to end.

When Mazda first discovered the issue sometime last year, I suspect they did quite a bit of internal hand wringing, trying to figure out what their repair strategy was going to be. I think it's fair to say that automakers across the board feel very uneasy about the idea of large-scale, non-routine warranty repair campaigns. They naturally fear getting lots of customer complaints and bad press as a result of repair job failures, some perhaps even resulting in bigger problems than the original issue.

However, with this valve stem issue, Mazda realized that probably a large percentage of these 2021 Turbo engines would ultimately need to be fixed. And the alternative repair choices of engine replacement or cylinder head replacement/repair would likely be a lot more expensive and/or problematic than the new stem seal replacement procedure that they were considering.

They obviously spent lots of time developing the stem seal tool set and procedure, and very likely did quite a few revisions and changes during the testing phase. That they spent so much time developing this completely new repair procedure from scratch is even more noteworthy, considering that they had publicly admitted to this issue way back in 10/2021, and also indicated that a resolution would be delivered. So a loud clock was ticking and there must have been a great deal of pressure from the VPs (with their bonuses at risk) to get this procedure out to the dealers quickly.

I guess someone must have had heavyweight clout, to be able to successfully push back against all of that; and do everything that was necessary to feel as comfortable as possible about what they were developing. One really good indicator of how Mazda feels about this whole thing is the bit about the job being limited to master techs only. And the amazing amount of detail in the procedure (plus video instruction), shows how much effort they put into this. They've obviously tried to do everything possible to make this campaign a complete success, and thus far every stem seal repair report I've read has been positive.

I'm not a Mazda fanboy, or any other automaker for that matter either. However, taking everything into consideration, when it comes to this repair campaign, I'm giving Mazda full credit for doing a very fine job.
Agree with you on Mazda trying to make the TSB as good as it can be but the various “Master techs” doing the job can vary greatly so hopefully the TSB will be performed EXACTLY as prescribed!

Wow, yikes is right! It's exactly the kind of procedure I wouldn't want on a car that's a year old, the plan has too many moving parts. I can see why they only want master techs doing this. Everyone is prone to missteps even a master tech.
Thats why when its time to actually perform the job every dealership or “Master Tech” is different so HOPEFULLY the TSB will be performed as prescribed lol

So, how many miles and or years do we get to get this done?
My car is a 2021 with about 18500 miles that falls in the vin range.
I think it may use about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles.

Both my CX5s had that kind of oil usage.
My 2016 2.5L NA uses about a half quart of 0W-20 oil per 5K ~ 6K miles, 30% ~ 10% oil life on Flexible OCI. I plan to use 5W-30 GF-6 oil after my current stock of Mazda Moly 0W-20 (GF-5) oil exhausted.

Back