Low RPM engine whine

veritas80

23' CX5 Turbo
:
SI, NY
Hey all, this is my first post on this forum. I have a brand new leased CX5 CE and I have an engine related question. I should disclose I didn't test drive this CX5 or any for that matter. This was through a leasing guy and with the deal I got I did it sight unseen. I wanted to test drive a few of them but dealerships weren't too keen on letting me drive one if I wasn't buying or leasing. I'm coming from a 19' Rogue which I hated and I figured this HAS to be a step up from that and i'd get used to it. I waited 7 weeks for the car. Please don't get me wrong, I really like the car after a week of ownership but its not without its quirks. Since I didn't drive it and have nothing to compare it too, I'd like to get some advice on one of two problems I "think" I have. I'm pretty sure I have that slight vibration i've read about from 60-80 MPH which through reading is my tires. It's really slight but I feel it. I've already made an appointment to have that checked at the dealership. This other problem is below and a bit more concerning to me, unless its normal.

I have only what can be described as a low "whine" when the car builds RPM through the first few gears. Its just when the car is shifting at low speeds. Once the RPM drops, its normal. The car has 250 miles on it and its sounded like this from the start. Didn't think anything of it but its peculiar. Under harder acceleration, it can be passed off as normal but it just sounds weird at lower RPM. I hear it the same, AC on and off. It doesn't seem like to popular of a problem, unless it isn't a problem. For those of you with the NA engine, is this how it sounds on the low end?

One is in park and one is low speed.

Thanks so much for any help.
Regards,
Vin

Last edited:
... For those of you with the NA engine, is this how it sounds on the low end? ...
To me, that transmission sound is completely abnormal. You can mark my vote in the "that's not right" column.

Slight vibrations is a common complaint including mine ('19 signature diesel) when newm dealer balanced the tires again and it was much better. Never went away completely until I got rid of the Toyo's when they were used up.

To me, that transmission sound is completely abnormal. You can mark my vote in the "that's not right" column.

Slight vibrations is a common complaint including mine ('19 signature diesel) when newm dealer balanced the tires again and it was much better. Never went away completely until I got rid of the Toyo's when they were used up.
The video shows a person revving in neutral or park so it's not the transmission.

I wasn't convinced it was the transmission either as it sounds the same way in both park and drive. I should have been more clear in the OP. I'm going to try and take a driving video today to see if I can pick it up.

The video shows a person revving in neutral or park so it's not the transmission.
Ha! Thanks ... The funny part is I didn't even  look at the video. I had just pushed play and held the phone speaker up to my ear closely to listen lol. Now from your post I watch it and see it's a 4 year old video that the OP must be saying "my car sounds similar to this video". I thought it was the op's car :unsure: .

In either case, I don't think it sounds normal to my ear.

EDITED first post to add my own videos I took this morning. One in park and one in gear.

We have a 2018 CX5 NA and it does not have that whine. If you stand in front with the hood open and someone revs the engine, can you tell where the sound is coming from? Maybe the alternator?

Make sure the vibration when driving is not from over inflated tires. Dealers often sell new cars with tires inflated to 40-50 psi! They never adjust from shipping inflation.

As long as its documented, i'm not sure what else to do. Yes I don't think its normal but its a lease, so I 'm not gonna beat my head against the wall. I have a local dealer service center near me. When the car has its first service i'll mention it again I guess.

Back