Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

Which years does the tsb cover?
Does it cover the 2018 NA ?
I've owned Toyotas and Ford's which never burnt oil until they were very very old.

This CX-5 is only 4 years old, just drove 6800 miles and the oil light just came on... Checked dipstick and it's just below the low mark. Usually change oil between 6000 and 7500 miles. Topped off for now. Usually check dipstick every 2 weeks. It had used some oil up until now but then within 2 weeks, level had gone from midway to below low mark.

Will need to track and photoshoot the dipstick every 2 weeks after next oil change to see when this breakdown occurs.

Based on some posts, it appears it's a waste of time to visit the dealer unless you lose a quart a week and your right arm.

But may schedule anyways.

The tsb doesnt cover the non-turbo as far as I know.
Well that ...
Seem to be going backwards

Old cars in the 70's and 80's burnt some oil.

Then my vehicles built in the 90's /early 2000 didn't need any oil between changes...

Now burning a quart between changes??
So the question now is...
Is it the newer engines,
thinner oil, or both ?
Or just defective Mazda engines?

Last edited:
I knew this was going happen. Two dealerships has been playing hide n seek with me since I’ve made the report.

I knew this was going happen. Two dealerships has been playing hide n seek with me since I’ve made the report.

The class action is behind . The fix is already available. Mazda has told dealers in the TSB how to repair under warranty. Dealers are the evil and/ or incompetent ones trying to play games and put people through hoops. Maybe the class action will result in an actual recall or warranty extension and a coupon but dont think more than that.

Maybe the class action will result in an actual recall or warranty extension and a coupon but dont think more than that.

I’m not even worried about it anymore tho but something or someone has to be held accountable. I honestly don’t consider this engine to be reliable enough to keep it for a long period of time even if it’s fixable under warranty or no warranty at all. The people already considering trading in the vehicle they’re in loss anyway.

Last edited:
The class action is behind . The fix is already available. Mazda has told dealers in the TSB how to repair under warranty. Dealers are the evil and/ or incompetent ones trying to play games and put people through hoops. Maybe the class action will result in an actual recall or warranty extension and a coupon but dont think more than that.
Lol... Would be interesting to see how they argue " it may cause substantial injury and death.

If it was leaking outside the engine and causing smoke and fumes that were being breathed on, that's one thing...but this is occuring inside the engine.

Seems everyone's a snowflake now...even in the lawsuits.

Even the lady that sued Kraft cheese for 5 million over it taking too long to cook claimed personal injury, etc. Lmao.

Do hope Mazda fixes the issue though.

Last edited:
Do hope Mazda fixes the issue though.

…but no dealership wanna be held accountable. The dealership I bought the car from said: “Look (bushwickz) we’ve never performed that type of fix on any vehicle and for that fix to be done we need a Master Technician, which we do have but it’ll be our first repair so we’re gonna do what we can”

This, got me thinking. I’d be crossing fingers for this Master Technician to do a good job in this engine so I don’t have to come back again for more (maybe collateral) repairs. In a 2021 Vehicle with less than 35k miles on it and going through this? What would you do?

…but no dealership wanna be held accountable. The dealership I bought the car from said: “Look (bushwickz) we’ve never performed that type of fix on any vehicle and for that fix to be done we need a Master Technician, which we do have but it’ll be our first repair so we’re gonna do what we can”

This, got me thinking. I’d be crossing fingers for this Master Technician to do a good job in this engine so I don’t have to come back again for more (maybe collateral) repairs. In a 2021 Vehicle with less than 35k miles on it and going through this? What would you do?
Will Mazda offer a trade-in @ cost?

I know dealers like to make insane profit and then turn around and buy your car for pennies.
But, Maybe both Mazda corporate and dealer will provide you a new 2022 (assuming it has no issues) versus having to contend with lawsuits, lemon laws, etc. The dealer may be contractually obligated by Mazda to perform the repairs....we don't know. So a win win for everyone would be for them to provide a new vehicle(at cost to them) while buying yours at market rate(after all it does have 35 k miles on it). You'll of course have a new car payment. But it would be fair swap and then they can figure out what to do with it.
You could float this idea to them yourself or get a lawyer and have him pursue this method.

.... The dealership I bought the car from said: “Look (bushwickz) we’ve never performed that type of fix on any vehicle and for that fix to be done we need a Master Technician, which we do have but it’ll be our first repair so we’re gonna do what we can” ....
It sounds like they don't feel that their "Master Technician" is as masterful as he/she should be. So based on their response, you might want to wait until at least a couple others have been completed successfully. Better IMO to let someone else be the canary in the coal mine.

It's kind of disheartening that CX-5's are reporting all these issues. Cracked cylinder heads, leaking oil, burning oil, valvetrain issues, etc. I own a 2017 CX-5 and it's been trouble free with 50k miles on the vehicle. It seems that starting in 2018, CX-5's began having issues with the engine when they introduced the cylinder deactivation and then the turbo versions. Hopefully Mazda works out these bugs as Mazda was known for reliability and once these issues become prevalent, they will lose customers.

Mazda was known for reliability and once these issues become prevalent, they will lose customers.

They’re about to lose my business; although it ain’t a big deal for a car manufacturer like Mazda to lose the loyalty of some new customers if lawsuits keep piling up then definitely they might earn a bad reputation.

They’re about to lose my business; although it ain’t a big deal for a car manufacturer like Mazda to lose the loyalty of some new customers if lawsuits keep piling up then definitely they might earn a bad reputation.
This isn’t the first time Mazda is experiencing this. Mazda has been known for their innovation which is opposite to Toyota where they’re much more conservative. But new innovation usually means unknown reliability. The rotary engine from Mazda is another example. It’s good on paper but bad in the real world. The rotary engine almost made Mazda went bankrupt until Ford rescued them. Mazda insists the first cylinder deactivation 4-cylinder engine in North America would cause them dearly IMO although many here don’t agree. The mistake on the 2.5T IMO is Mazda should add the turbo based on the SkyActiv-G 2.0L, not the 2.5L.

Anybody here still remember highly advertised Mazda’s innovative SkyActiv-X? It started from a good on paper, a simple and efficient HCCI to a very complicated SPCCI (again, unknown reliability). When we actually can see it in US market?

Back