Off Topic List your previous and current vehicles

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
I don't know how much traffic this thread will get, but here goes anyway..

List all of your previous and current cars (owned or leased). I thought it might be interesting to get a little insight into why others found themselves in a Mazda after shopping the many brands out there.

My first car was a 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity coupe. It was my Dad's car, and he gave it to me when I turned 18. Drove it for a couple of years before it was totaled in a minor parking lot fender bender. This car was great, mechanically sound and solid as a rock. I remember accidentally backing into a car once, and while the rear bumper barely had a scratch, the other car had a 12" dent in the panel lol.

With the money from the write-off, I bought a 1991 Honda Accord LX sedan. Thus began the "ricer" phase. This is when I started getting familiar with basic maintenance and "fun" mods (aftermarket turn signal lenses, taillight tint, ebay air intake and cheapo coilovers). Lots of firsts with this car. This car got written off in an at-fault accident.

After the 91, I bought a 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe. By this point I had outgrown most of the "fun" mods and started spending more money on better mods. Things like rear sway bar, AMR Engineering coilovers, rare-ish 17" JDM wheels, and a HID projector retrofit into the OEM headlight housings. It started to develop the Honda rust in the rear wheelwells, so I traded it in for my next car. I still miss it, and I kick myself for trading it in sometimes.

Coming from two very, very reliable Hondas, I decided to step it up a bit and bought a 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD. This was a great car to me. One of the first things I did to it was lower it on BC coilovers. I also got a set of 19" SSR Werfen GT03 wheels. Had to roll the rear fenders and do some front bumper modification to avoid rubbing issues. I opened up the headlights to paint the housings a gunmetal grey, and I also had a custom box made for an aftermarket subwoofer, which I installed to complement the OEM audio system. I entered the car in a local show (just for the experience). I had also purchased a few other mods (axle back exhaust, rear bumper lip, front bumper lip), but I sold them when I found out I had to move two provinces over.

After moving, it didn't make sense for me to keep the Lexus as I was working from home and my wife had her Civic. I sold it, and we bought our first house. We started looking at new cars, and my wife was dead set on getting a larger vehicle (7-seater minimum). In 2016, we happened across a Mazda dealership and noticed the CX-9. A salesman offered a test drive, and we were pretty blown away by the way it handled and the interior. We didn't know anything about the car before hand. I went home and started researching the car, and joined these forums. Over the next couple of years, we considered a few vehicles. First was the Lexus GX and the Acura MDX. The wife didn't like the looks of the GX, and I wasn't a big fan of the MDX interior. We also considered a 4runner Limited but it was boring to drive and boring to sit in. I even got her to consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, but once she found out the mileage that it gets, she wouldn't even let me test drive one (doh).

Finally, we agreed that the CX-9 was the way to go. Purchased it in January of this year and I haven't had any regrets! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
OK, so being of the baby boomer generation, my car history starts in the late 60's.
I can't list them all, as my memory is not that good.
I also worked for many years in a job that provided company vehicles, none of which I would have chosen, so I won't bother with those.

The first car that was actually mine, was a 1961 Vauxhall Velox (look that one up in your history books....lol). Crashed it twice before my 20th birthday. Minor injuries both times. Wrote it off.

Second car was a 1965 Chevy Biscayne. 4 door, straight six, 2 speed automatic. No options. Huge back seat though, which got used a lot (oh, the good old days).

First new car purchase was a 1973 Toyota Celica ST. God I loved that car. I wish I still had it. I sold it when I started a family.

Had a few GM's, Fords and Chryslers along the way, non of them worth talking about, except maybe the 1988 Grand Caravan.
Drove the kids to hundreds of sports events over the years, and put 400,000 kms on it before letting it go to auction. Say what you want about Chrysler, but that thing served me well.

Had a 2003 Nissan Sentra Se-R, which I loved. A great little pocket rocket. A sleeper. Gave it to my son, who eventually sold it. Another regret. I'd like that one back too.
Had other Nissans, and still have my 2002 Pathfinder.

I've always liked the look of Mazdas, and when I started contemplating replacing my 2006 Altima, I pretty much settled on the 6 right away.
I was attracted by the looks, but then when I drove it, I was sold.

I need to replace the Pathy soon, but I honestly have no idea which direction to take.
They don't make body on frame SUV's like that anymore, so I'm struggling to find something I like.

Cheers.

2003 protege 5 yellow
2003.5 protege 5 laser blue
2007 cx7 gt grey
2014 cx5 gt red mica
2015 cx5 gt red mica
2016 cx9 gt pearl white

I have a thing for Mazdas

Back