Lighter = Faster (RX-7 Build #2)

Almost a month with no updates? Yep. Been focusing on some home renovations and kid #2 is due in 3 weeks.

Car is still at the body shop. Soon will be the time to pick the color. Gonna have them quote me prices for white, black, red, yellow, and orange. White and black are easy to define. I'm thinking Classic Red (Mazda), Magma Orange (VW), and Imola Yellow (VW) for the others. Other than that, painted a few things, sent the intake and exhaust manifolds out to be coated by Swain Tech, and waiting on some parts that have been on order for four weeks. That's about it.

beb18b45ded6e1fb543bbf4cb008d11d26fd815381773bb0c327ebdcf141384c.jpg

The body shop is prepping for paint so they needed all the body parts. I stopped by yesterday to drop everything off and took some pictures:

The body is sealed inside and out.

IMG_20150427_151028001.jpg

The engine compartment needs a little more seam sealer before any color is sprayed.

IMG_20150427_151037662.jpg

I had them bang in one area of the passenger's side of the transmission tunnel. I didn't like how close the Defined Autoworks exhaust manifold was to the body. This won't be noticeable under the carpet.

IMG_20150427_151107354.jpg

The shop recommended was bedliner on the bottom of the car. It's thicker and heavier but is MUCH more durable than traditional rubberized coating.

IMG_20150427_151527335.jpg

I'm not having the interior painted so it'll stay the dark gray/black of the sealer. This won't be noticeable with the interior put back together.

IMG_20150427_151540541.jpg

It's hard to tell from this angle the fenders have been rolled and pulled 1 in. This looks much better than the roll/pull I did on the red car.

IMG_20150427_151549815.jpg

The colors is going to be Magma Orange, color code LD2C. It's the VW/Audi color used on the Fahrenheit edition Golf GTi's.

Looking good Jon! that really is a lot of work, I really want to see the finished product.

Coming from someone that has owned an orange car, I highly suggest you go with a different color. Its great for about 8 months before you are absolutely sick of it.

Progress is looking killer though! I really want a rx7 again someday soon.

Coming from someone that has owned an orange car, I highly suggest you go with a different color. Its great for about 8 months before you are absolutely sick of it.

Progress is looking killer though! I really want a rx7 again someday soon.

Are there issues with the paint itself or its maintenance? Unwanted attention? I always liked the look of the Fahrenheit GTi's. If this was going to be more of a street/show car I would've gone with the Spicy Orange from the Mazdaspeed Proteges. For the most part I could live with just about any color except silver/gray or green. I find those boring. Black was ruled out because I'm not seeking perfection in the body and that'd show clearly. Also, I don't want to bake in a car without A/C.

Are there issues with the paint itself or its maintenance? Unwanted attention? I always liked the look of the Fahrenheit GTi's. If this was going to be more of a street/show car I would've gone with the Spicy Orange from the Mazdaspeed Proteges. For the most part I could live with just about any color except silver/gray or green. I find those boring. Black was ruled out because I'm not seeking perfection in the body and that'd show clearly. Also, I don't want to bake in a car without A/C.

Unwanted attention yes, but mainly i just got super sick of it very quickly.

Unwanted attention yes, but mainly i just got super sick of it very quickly.

Well, it's ORANGE! Teaser pics:

IMG_20150618_104857378.jpg

IMG_20150618_104932037.jpg

I'm VERY pleased with the result. If anything the color is slightly lighter in person. Paint should be done tomorrow and I'll snap a few more pictures.

Love the orange Jon great choice. I wanted to paint my ep car orange but went with the blue off of the SA. That I already had a paint code for. Now get it done!!!

Love the orange Jon great choice. I wanted to paint my ep car orange but went with the blue off of the SA. That I already had a paint code for. Now get it done!!!

Nice! When is baby #3 coming home?

Thanks! A few people have asked if I'm going to put the Confederate battle flag on the roof... It's really quite a different color than the General Lee in person.

The shop claims they'll have everything assembled by the end of the week. On Friday I dropped off a bunch of stuff to install as well (crash bars, headlight motors, etc.) so I don't have to remove body parts again (other than the hood). My free time is limited this Summer but I'm hoping to have it home by the end of July. There are two more things in the works at the shop that need to get resolved.

Getting there. The shop estimates about 2 more weeks and that's mostly due to waiting for a new rear window.

IMG_20150625_110533087.jpg

IMG_20150625_110551699.jpg

IMG_20150625_110611663.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! Internet highfive for proper wheel specs and tires!

ps- if you want some red Enkei stickers for your wheels I know a vinyl guy. ;) (just hit up THE Will Dodd)

Last edited:
ps- if you want some red Enkei stickers for your wheels I know a vinyl guy. ;) (just hit up THE Will Dodd)
I have them. For some reason they weren't applied to the wheels but were separate in the box. Are yours originally black or painted? I'm curious because the finish on mine is really easily damaged (already scratched the back of one on a brake dust cover). That and the lack of applied decals has me slightly suspicious. Then again, this is my first set of not-silver wheels. They're going to get abused anyway so I'm not too concerned.

I bought mine used and they didn't have the stickers applied either. But mine are holding up great. I used to take them on/off all the time to change pads and no issues. I think Patrick Martz said he has the same issue with his new black RPF1's, that they chip easily. Maybe it's a defect in a production run?

Latest posts

Back