Last oil change?

Happy belated birthday, @erhayes!

On the topic of having to get out from under the car multiple times, I'm guilty of that myself. Something I will be doing for next time is getting a low-profile rolling tray of some sort, then placing everything I'll need for the oil change on it. Filter, washer, socket, filter wrench, gloves, extra rags, flathead and Philips screwdrivers, etc. That should minimize the chances of me having to shimmy and squirm out from under the car!

Yeah it was facetious, which is why it was all caps and bold ;)
Not so far from what happens in forums to be taken at face value :)

Sarcasm works better when you can keep track of personalities, which I am very bad at on my various online forums.

Funny story: I was working for a company that employed a buyer who was in his late 60s/early 70s. He called the owner of a machine shop and as the owner was talking with the buyer, I heard the buyer say, "You know, you keep calling me "Sonny", yet I'm fairly certain that I'm older than you are."
The machine shop owner replied, "Well, I just turned 90 years-old; how old are you?"

The buyer then said, sheepishly, "Okay, you can call me Sonny anytime you want!"
I have an Aunt who will be 98 in May, yet she has a male neighbor who is 99. She does not call him "Sonny". ;)
Too may people at age 62 collect SSI, thinking they will surely die before the age of 80. Thanks, ERHayes for giving the rest of us hope to live a good long life. I just signed up with Medicare but I plan to live at least another 20 years. My unmedicated blood pressure was measured at the doctors office, today as 104/62.
....and I still change the oil/filter on three vehicles, but not nearly as often as when we were driving to work every day.

Funny story: I was working for a company that employed a buyer who was in his late 60s/early 70s. He called the owner of a machine shop and as the owner was talking with the buyer, I heard the buyer say, "You know, you keep calling me "Sonny", yet I'm fairly certain that I'm older than you are."
The machine shop owner replied, "Well, I just turned 90 years-old; how old are you?"

The buyer then said, sheepishly, "Okay, you can call me Sonny anytime you want!"
I have an Aunt who will be 98 in May, yet she has a male neighbor who is 99. She does not call him "Sonny". ;)
Too may people at age 62 collect SSI, thinking they will surely die before the age of 80. Thanks, ERHayes for giving the rest of us hope to live a good long life. I just signed up with Medicare but I plan to live at least another 20 years. My unmedicated blood pressure was measured at the doctors office, today as 104/62.
....and I still change the oil/filter on three vehicles, but not nearly as often as when we were driving to work every day.

I'm aiming for 105 myself. I'm in very good health and do not require any medication.

~40 years to go!

Ed, at 62 I can't tell you how many times I dropped the drain plug into the drain pan over the years, but I assure you it's not attributed to old age! The worst thing is dropping the oil filter in there while not paying attention to how many times you turned it, gets messy. Anyway, happy birthday, good to have you here.

Please try to stay on topic guys, a little side banter is fine but when it's clear that there is a separate topic to discuss, create a separate thread so the original can run it's course.

A new thread for this topic has been created, off-topic posts have been moved.

I my 85 years old this week and just finished an oil & filter change on my CX5. First time I ever dropped the drain plug in the oil drain bucket. First time I had to get out from under the vehicles several times to get stuff I forgot to take under which is a real chore. I think I may need to turn this service over to others in the future.:cry:
Anyone else facing the same age related issues? I find this not-a-fun prospect. Ed
I will turn 90 in June, 2023 and still do all of my service and maintence on my 16 CX5 and my 2004 Dodge Dakota on which I replaced the rear pinion seal, rear driveshaft U joints and replaced the xfer case rear extension bearing. I have fun doing my own work, but I must admit aging is not for sissies, but beats the alterative!

I will turn 90 in June, 2023 and still do all of my service and maintence on my 16 CX5 and my 2004 Dodge Dakota on which I replaced the rear pinion seal, rear driveshaft U joints and replaced the xfer case rear extension bearing. I have fun doing my own work, but I must admit aging is not for sissies, but beats the alterative!

My man! (y)

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many..."

The younger folks here won't really be able to understand and appreciate your post. But being 74 myself, I'm all too aware of the impact that Father Time has on the body. So when I try to imagine how it would feel 16 years from now, doing the stuff your described, what you wrote leaves me in shock and awe. To all of you who are in the 80+ group, and still going strong, my hat is off to you, and held way up high in the air (y) (y)

Sorry I'm late to the party (just joined this forum), but this thread is heartwarming and funny, as well as useful with the various tips. Ed, you're an inspiration and I suspect not giving yourself enough credit. I'm about to turn 65 and have been forgetting short term stuff routinely since I was in high school, where I was nicknamed "swiss cheese" because the stuff I should have remembered would just leak out through the holes (even though I was an honor student, so it was more annoying than anything else).

The loss of flexibility is what I'm feeling most these days. I can't even turn my neck far enough to feel comfortable that I'm seeing all the oncoming traffic far enough back on acute angle intersections. Climbing into my wife's Miata (er, "putting it on" ) isn't quite as simple anymore either. Maybe I start yoga. Or just practice craning my neck farther in all directions every day?

Here's another thing to do with the old tools no longer needed - make a hanging mobile (piece of artwork) for your garage. A kid (art major) suggested it to me for removed parts I had lying around (why did I even keep them?) from Audi A8 maintenance. Tools would be even more cool.

Happy many more birthdays.

Pete.

The loss of flexibility is what I'm feeling most these days. I can't even turn my neck far enough to feel comfortable that I'm seeing all the oncoming traffic far enough back on acute angle intersections. Climbing into my wife's Miata (er, "putting it on" ) isn't quite as simple anymore either. Maybe I start yoga. Or just practice craning my neck farther in all directions every day?

Pete, have you tried convex mirrors? They are what semi truck drivers use to change lanes safely. It's a game changer. No more twisting around. I use these glass stick on convex mirrors.

example picture
mirror22.jpg

More reviews and pictures (same product) https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Back