Last oil change?

Firstly, congrats on your birthday. I hope I can make it that far and still do oil change at that age. I use this 15-quart oil drain container so that the drain plug will never drop into the used oil. And it’s very easy to take the drained oil in the container directly to our city’s oil collection location and dump it.

View attachment 317217

That's the same drain pan that I have. I have to transfer the used oil to other containers before I take it to be recycled. The local quick lube will only take it that way. No problem, I save gallon milk jugs for this.

I have a drawer in my workshop full of 'stuff' like timing lights and dwell meters, feeler gauges and the like. What's to do with those things? The timing light is a VERY nice Craftsman tool that I got for my birthday MANY moons ago. Used it twice and there she sits. It's so shiny and all, I hate to toss it into the electronics recycling bin but what else can be done?
My goal is to keep the stuff in the family...pass it to child(ren)... If they dont want it, pass it to any nephew or niece that will have it.
Otherwise, find someone that will use and appreciate it. Although alot of the younger generations seem to be more consumers that hands-on, surely there is some young-un that will use the tools.

I my 85 years old this week and just finished an oil & filter change on my CX5. First time I ever dropped the drain plug in the oil drain bucket. First time I had to get out from under the vehicles several times to get stuff I forgot to take under which is a real chore. I think I may need to turn this service over to others in the future.:cry:
Anyone else facing the same age related issues? I find this not-a-fun prospect. Ed
Happy belated birthday!. Wouldn't worry about it, I've been forgeting stuff since my 30's. Your mind is still sharp and it's great to know you kept this up til now. Take pride that your still doing what alot of 20 year olds can't or won't do.

My goal is to keep the stuff in the family...pass it to child(ren)... If they dont want it, pass it to any nephew or niece that will have it.
Otherwise, find someone that will use and appreciate it. Although alot of the younger generations seem to be more consumers that hands-on, surely there is some young-un that will use the tools.

While that's a good idea, the only people in the family who have a vehicle old enough that would require a timing light and/or dwell meter already have all the tools they need/want. You can be sure that I've already tried to give those tools away to someone who can use them. At some point I will have to 'clean house' and get rid of that old stuff.

I was just thinking of the last time that I used that timing light. I guess I'm looking back with a bit of nostalgia.

How many here have used a timing light? Remember taking a piece of chalk, marking the proper mark on the flywheel? Timing light in one hand the distributor in the other while rotating the distributor till the proper timing mark is reached. Those were the days eh? Not. lol

What do you guys do with your old oil? And do you just throw the oil filter in the garbage or take it to the same place as the oil? I keep thinking that I could do my own oil changes since the place I take my cars to has been raising the price of an oil change with full synthetic but the mess and oil disposal seem like a hassle that I don’t need.

What do you guys do with your old oil? And do you just throw the oil filter in the garbage or take it to the same place as the oil? I keep thinking that I could do my own oil changes since the place I take my cars to has been raising the price of an oil change with full synthetic but the mess and oil disposal seem like a hassle that I don’t need.
Advance auto, autozone, etc. Take used oil. Some local mechanics will run their garage heaters with it. Or if you have a wood burn pile

While that's a good idea, the only people in the family who have a vehicle old enough that would require a timing light and/or dwell meter already have all the tools they need/want. You can be sure that I've already tried to give those tools away to someone who can use them. At some point I will have to 'clean house' and get rid of that old stuff.

I was just thinking of the last time that I used that timing light. I guess I'm looking back with a bit of nostalgia.

How many here have used a timing light? Remember taking a piece of chalk, marking the proper mark on the flywheel? Timing light in one hand the distributor in the other while rotating the distributor till the proper timing mark is reached. Those were the days eh? Not. lol
Looking back through a 'golden lens of yesteryear', those "were the days". In prep for winter, every fall was new points, plugs and condenser, rotor and distributor cap. Set the dwell and check timing . Set the curb idle and fast idle for the choke and idle mixture. Same routine in the spring with just cleaning and regapping plugs and points. Cars always started easy, ran like a top and rarely let me sit. I was "bonding with my baby". Do I miss it? Nah, not too much. My aching back wouldn't handle leaning over the fender to do that anymore and it was a stretch back then. Fuel injection and electronic ignition are pretty nice. Couldn't wait for the American car manufacturers to stop making sloppy handling land barges with poor drum brakes and go much superior rack and pinion steering and disc brakes. The Europeans were so far ahead of us in this category.
The dwell meter died years ago and the timing light went to a mechanic friend around that time. Still feel a twinge of nostalgia when seeing the old feeler gauge that set a lot of points, plugs and valves. And the old 13/16" deep socket that fit spark plugs and wheel lugs. There's a few other old tools that still evoke memories. Really, the answer is to be young again. LOL

I take my used oil to the local quick change oil place, Jiffy Lube. Most any place that does this work will take used oil. They've become a bit pickier over the years though. They question me about EXACTLY what is in the jugs that I bring in. No problem for me as it's only oil and occasionally brake fluid or coolant, perhaps trans fluid too. I mark the jugs and do not mix fluids.

As for the filters? I allow them to drain thoroughly, place em in a plastic bag and toss em in the trash. I don't know what else to do with those things.

Looking back through a 'golden lens of yesteryear', those "were the days". In prep for winter, every fall was new points, plugs and condenser, rotor and distributor cap. Set the dwell and check timing . Set the curb idle and fast idle for the choke and idle mixture. Same routine in the spring with just cleaning and regapping plugs and points. Cars always started easy, ran like a top and rarely let me sit. I was "bonding with my baby". Do I miss it? Nah, not too much. My aching back wouldn't handle leaning over the fender to do that anymore and it was a stretch back then. Fuel injection and electronic ignition are pretty nice. Couldn't wait for the American car manufacturers to stop making sloppy handling land barges with poor drum brakes and go much superior rack and pinion steering and disc brakes. The Europeans were so far ahead of us in this category.
The dwell meter died years ago and the timing light went to a mechanic friend around that time. Still feel a twinge of nostalgia when seeing the old feeler gauge that set a lot of points, plugs and valves. And the old 13/16" deep socket that fit spark plugs and wheel lugs. There's a few other old tools that still evoke memories. Really, the answer is to be young again. LOL

Drum brakes, those were fun to work on. Not!

I remember the joy of trying to stretch those springs and getting one end to slip over the pin, then having the damn thing shoot across the garage floor. Good times good times.

Advance auto, autozone, etc. Take used oil. Some local mechanics will run their garage heaters with it. Or if you have a wood burn pile

Please don't burn used oil! Not exactly environmentally friendly.

I remember the joy of trying to stretch those springs and getting one end to slip over the pin, then having the damn thing shoot across the garage floor. Good times good times.
Drum brakes just plain sucked. They were a PITA to work on and faded bad when driving through a puddle. I didn't do a huge amount of them but enough to wish I'd bought the brake tools to do them in the beginning. At least the hardware kits were cheap. Reusing old hardware sucked too. Using the old big screwdriver and vise grips was still a struggle sometimes. Yea, like you said --good times.

You can try to sell that old stuff on Kijiji, Craigslist, Marketplace etc. as there are always new owners of vintage and muscle cars that may not have the necessary tools to service them.

You're my hero erhayes! I'm 69 and I do only simple stuff now on our two vehicles; seasonal tire changes, wipers, engine air filter and cabin filter. Gone are the days of doing my own oil changes, body repair, brakes, muffler & shocks replacement...! Thinking of getting someone else to change the tires as my aching back finds it harder as time goes by. How come when I was young my tires were 12" and 13" and for the past few years they are 17" and 18"??? Not looking forward to 20", 21" or 22" :ROFLMAO:
Forgot to mention I also replace batteries on our two vehicle as needed; last time was a little over 3 years ago on my previous vehicle and my wife's. I used to change vehicle often before it needed a new battery, now I plan to keep my CX-5 longer as I don't drive much anymore.

I actually didn't mind drum brakes. Very simple actually. Sometimes the most difficult part was getting the drum off. Early on, I bought a specialty tool to remove and install those springs, and that was worth it's weight in gold. I still cringe when I watch a car show where a guy tries to install the springs with needle nose pliers.....and these guys are supposed to be experts?

I still have my timing light as well. Hard to let go of that, even though I have no use for it. I remember fondly getting good at setting the timing by ear. Start the engine, and rotate the distributor until it ran smoothly. I was always pretty close to the mark just doing it by ear.

As for what to do with all the old stuff and tools you don't use anymore? Some of my old stuff was in rough shape, so I threw that crap out. I saved some, and the rest either went to the kids, or I gave it away, or donated it to non profit centres, like Habitat for Humanity. When it comes time to get rid of the more expensive stuff, I'll sell it on kijiji or have a garage sale.

I actually didn't mind drum brakes. Very simple actually. Sometimes the most difficult part was getting the drum off. Early on, I bought a specialty tool to remove and install those springs, and that was worth it's weight in gold. I still cringe when I watch a car show where a guy tries to install the springs with needle nose pliers.....and these guys are supposed to be experts?

I still have my timing light as well. Hard to let go of that, even though I have no use for it. I remember fondly getting good at setting the timing by ear. Start the engine, and rotate the distributor until it ran smoothly. I was always pretty close to the mark just doing it by ear.

As for what to do with all the old stuff and tools you don't use anymore? Some of my old stuff was in rough shape, so I threw that crap out. I saved some, and the rest either went to the kids, or I gave it away, or donated it to non profit centres, like Habitat for Humanity. When it comes time to get rid of the more expensive stuff, I'll sell it on kijiji or have a garage sale.
Yep. The brake spring took was great. If couldn't find it, always found a large slotted screwdriver was easier to stretch the spring than pliers.

My used oil goes back to Walmart. They ask you to sign for the amount and your initials/name. I know that Advanced Auto also takes used oil but, NO antifreeze.

My city’s (Plano, a suburban of Dallas) recycle center has a huge “dogloo” shaped oil tank so that we can pour the used oil in there. Next to it there’s a large garbage can to collect used oil filters.

In San Jose the city gives you several gallon jugs and plastic bags and we can pour the used oil into these jugs and put the used oil filters in the bag. On the garbage collection day just leave these on the curb side the worker will collect them and leave the new jugs and bags on the curb side for your next oil change.

So check with your city for recycling oils and oil filters.

EXCUSE ME, DRUM BRAKES? PLEASE KEEP THIS TOPIC ABOUT ENGINE OIL.

THANKS
Come on, the title was a reference to getting old for maintaining a car. Other maintenance, aging, times changing seem on topic.

In the title post the OP said "Anyone else facing the same age related issues?" That's more general than oil changes.

Apologies if you were being facetious, and it was some kind of inside joke that went over my head.

Back