Off Topic Genetics and life span

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
I'm hoping to make it to my 70's. One side of my family lives to be centurions, the other side has a tendency to move on earlier with some only in their 40's/50's.
Will be interesting to see what happens but thinking genetics will make it an even split.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck Conrad.
Thats a lofty goal.
Hope you make it.
I'm just hoping to make it to my 70's. One side of my family lives to be centurions, the other side has a tendency to move on earlier with some only in their 40's/50's.
Will be interesting to see what happens but thinking genetics will make it an even split.
Yeh, I truly believe genetics is the key to our life expectancy.

I told my kids that I want to live to about 85 then they can euthanize me. 😳😳😳 I don’t want to be a burden on anyone in my old age.

Yeh, I truly believe genetics is the key to our life expectancy.
You should read "The Longevity Paradox" by Dr, Gundry. He explains in the book that genetics often have little to do with your lifespan. As an example, while in the cashier's line at the grocery store, I often see 250+ lb mothers and dads with lots of fatty meats, potato chips, and soda in their cart. When I look at the 10-14 year-old kids, I see that they, too are overweight/obese.
So if the parents die of heart failure, would the kids be doomed to do the same because of genetics? Nope. People living in the same household, whether they are related or not, tend to have similar health characteristics, good or bad. But in some cases, the children learn about exercise and healthy eating at school, and change their bad habits.
One of my grandmothers lived to be 94, but my mother (her daughter) lived to be 75. Why? My mother smoked for 50 years or more. Genetics had nothing to do with her lifespan.

You should read "The Longevity Paradox" by Dr, Gundry. He explains in the book that genetics often have little to do with your lifespan. As an example, while in the cashier's line at the grocery store, I often see 250+ lb mothers and dads with lots of fatty meats, potato chips, and soda in their cart. When I look at the 10-14 year-old kids, I see that they, too are overweight/obese.
So if the parents die of heart failure, would the kids be doomed to do the same because of genetics? Nope. People living in the same household, whether they are related or not, tend to have similar health characteristics, good or bad. But in some cases, the children learn about exercise and healthy eating at school, and change their bad habits.
One of my grandmothers lived to be 94, but my mother (her daughter) lived to be 75. Why? My mother smoked for 50 years or more. Genetics had nothing to do with her lifespan.
I would partly disagree with that as I think genetics predispose you to a certain lifespan... Certain people are born with conditions/diseases and only live longer with medications or treatments.

Imo, Eating healthy and exercise may help you reach your genetic lifespan but no more.

Now on the flipside, chemicals, radiation, bad diet and substance abuses may adversly affect you and shorten your lifespan. I do believe that.

Likewise, there have been stories in past newspapers/articles of
80 and 90 year olds who ate fast food & smoked everyday that were still living diseases free at there old age. Now those are some good genes. There have also been studies of children who ate healthy and still had heart attacks like their parents. And some studies where 2 siblings had similar lifestyle and eating habits, one had heart disease and the other remained healthy.
These are stories i've paid attention to as my one side has longevity while the other side doesn't.

So longevity seems to be partly genetic and partly environmental.

it seems there are researchers out there who will argue with each other over genetics versus environment but to me it appears it is both that work together.

You can only hope for the best genes and try to control your diet, etc.

Last edited:

My argument on this case is if your mother didn’t smoke for 50 years, she would live to be 90’s. Your mother had a good genes, but smoking destroyed her advantage for longer life.

On the other hand, some keep up a healthy life and never smoke, but he or she died with lung cancer. Bad genes IMO.

What Angelina Jolie had done is also based on genetics, because her family is having the history of developing breast cancer.

I believe processed foods have a lot to do with the declining quality of health. Plenty of additives in todays food supply just don't belong there with sugar being the main one, processed seed oils coming in a close second. Sugar is considered by many holistics to even be a poison. The food industry loads additives into the food supply and then pharma comes along and offers pills for cures later on in life after the additives cause damage. It's a maddening cycle. It's almost like they're in cahoots with one another.

There's so much contradictory information.

This doctor calls out Dr. Gundry on his other book.

The book "The Blue Zones" states small amounts of alcohol may be helpful, but other researchers say any alcohol at all is bad for your health.

Despite this BS, exercise and eat right and you are doing yourself a favor.

This, absolutely. A good diet and a healthy, active lifestyle ensures that you're able to make the most of your time here. I want to be able to roughhouse with my great grandkids at 85.

There's so much contradictory information.

This doctor calls out Dr. Gundry on his other book.

The book "The Blue Zones" states small amounts of alcohol may be helpful, but other researchers say any alcohol at all is bad for your health.

There will always be conflicting opinions when a doctor writes a book, and you should verify any book writer's background. Dr, Gundry is 70 years old and been a cardiologist for many, many years. In fact, he has invented tools that have revolutionized certain aspects of. heart surgery.

The advantage of being a heart surgeon is that you get to see the aftereffects of bad diets and lack of exercise. You also get to see the results of changes to those diets and the addition of exercise.
So before you judge a book by what another doctor has to say, read the book. You will find that Dr, Gundry lists hundreds of references to back up what he says. He also states if a statement is his opinion, but almost always backs up his opinion with research data.

I just had a checkup, soon after signing up with Medicare. My unmedicated blood pressure is 104/62 and has been in that range for years. I have an Excel spreadsheet of monthly checks. It's like a control chart with upper and lower limits. I follow Dr, Gundry, What is YOUR blood pressure?

Didn't say he was wrong, just stated that there is conflicting information. Blood pressure is about the same.

No, younger.

Gundry says if you were to eat a tomato, you should de-seed and peel it first. Would you also do the same? Not attacking, just curious. I'm open to any nutritional news and ideas.

Gundry hates cashews. Interesting.

Gundry says cashews are legumes, but Healthline says he's wrong.

That's what I mean about conflicting information.

I welcome your experience and suggestions.

Last edited:
Yes, not only tomatoes but also nightshade vegetables (like bell peppers) have high concentrations of lectins in their skin and seeds. I believe cashews and peanuts have high concentrations, as well.
I've seen cashews described as "drupes" and legumes, as well as nuts.

But yes, they are high in lectins:

Eating foods like this can result in painful arthritis. I have no arthritis or age spots. I attribute that to my avoidance of lectins.

Yes, not only tomatoes but also nightshade vegetables (like bell peppers) have high concentrations of lectins in their skin and seeds. I believe cashews and peanuts have high concentrations, as well.
I've seen cashews described as "drupes" and legumes, as well as nuts.

But yes, they are high in lectins:

Eating foods like this can result in painful arthritis. I have no arthritis or age spots. I attribute that to my avoidance of lectins.
Yeah but every other week, they find a problem with another food.

Lettuce is just water, and can get ecoli or worms.
Grains, rice, sugars, processed foods, potatoes, beets and carrots make you fat and diabetic.
Fish has mercury.
Red meat is high fat and bad for heart.
Chicken has salmonella and hormones.
All vegetables now have microplastics.

Pretty much we are just left with Broccoli.... For bfast, lunch and dinner. Blah!!

And just wait til they find out broccoli cause you to grow a third nipple?

Small fish tends to have the least amount of mercury. Some dark chocolates have high levels of lead and cadmium.
Brown rice often has high amounts of arsenic.
Bottled water has microplastics.
But new information should be noted and discussed.
Side note: Nuts like walnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, and chestnuts are great for your brain, and can keep away cancer.

I'm 69. Contrary to my siblings, I've always been slim, I never smoked or done drugs, I drink very little and I keep moderately active and try to eat healthy at home. I've inherited thick hair, blue eyes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and variquous veins from my parents (they both died at 73)...Come think of it, I'd rather have thin hair and brown eyes and none of the other bad stuff :ROFLMAO:

Certainly, there are some conditions that are hereditary or acquired by bad habits. My cholesterol levels are slightly higher than normal, no matter how well I eat. Therefore, there's no way I can be drug-free, at if you need to take only one or two prescription drugs, and you are in your sixties, you are much better off that the majority who on many more medications at your age.
What did your parents die of?

Certainly, there are some conditions that are hereditary or acquired by bad habits. My cholesterol levels are slightly higher than normal, no matter how well I eat. Therefore, there's no way I can be drug-free, at if you need to take only one or two prescription drugs, and you are in your sixties, you are much better off that the majority who on many more medications at your age.
What did your parents die of?
I take two prescription drugs for high blood pressure and cholesterol. My father died of a burst brain artery (he also had type 1 diabetes) and my mother died of a heart problem (there was a hole between the two ventricles which the surgeon tried to fix but that didn't work). My father smoked for about 25 years and my mom pretty much all her life even during pregnancy and when she was breast feeding me (perhaps this is why I have allergies!). My sister didn't learn from that and was also smoking during pregnancy; my niece was premature and really small, it's a miracle she survived. I feel so sorry for those who don't take care of their health especially my family but there's not much I can do...

Back