Infotainment System Bugs

If you have an iPhone, go into the bluetooth menu, find Mazda and click the "i" to bring up the info menu for that bluetooth connection. Set notifications to on. Text messages will work but emails still won't. Receiving messages only. No sending. Use Siri.

I set this up today and I have incoming texts working. I have 2 questions now if anyone knows the answers:

1. how do you delete texts from the Mazda? The trash can icon says it will delete the text from my phone and from the vehicle. And the text goes away, but stays on my phone (fine by me) AND comes back if I go back into the inbox or update the inbox. Even if the text is deleted from my phone, it STILL comes back on the car. Grrr.

2. can it read the text out loud to me while I'm driving? I got notification a message came in, the Read button was highlight so I clicked that, and then it just told me it can't show it to me for my safety. I didn't want it to show it to me, I just wanted it to read it out loud. After I was stopped, I see when I go into a message there is a Play button I can use, but this didn't seem to be available to me while driving?

I have v25. I'm not sure if my issues have been resolved in v27 as I haven't asked the dealer yet if v27 is available for Canada.

Well my usb audio has completely stopped working with my iPhone 5S. I can't listen to anything over usb now. On top of that bluetooth kind of flickers/scratches every 15 seconds or so and Aha sucks, it skips around randomly.. I hope they come out with version 29 soon, v27 sucks!

Can I just say how incredibly annoying the whole, "mazda safety" thing is. Not being able to access certain functions and limitations when driving is absurd. Yes, I need to be able to type an address while Im driving; amongst other things.

/rant

I'm going in for my first oil change and infotainment update next Wednesday (22nd). Hopefully it fixes all the mess of bugs I have. It refuses to even connect to my iPod Classic now. It worked fine for quite a while when the car was new, then it got buggier, kicking me out sometimes, and then it just stopped connecting completely. Voice commands are a mess and usually don't work.

The same thing happened to me as well. Neither my iPod classic nor my iPod touch work over usb. They'll charge but I can see them on the list of connected media but I can't access it. At least the bluetooth works but now I can't connect my phone because the iPod is using the bluetooth spot. I'll see if they can do anything with it when I go in for the tune up next month.

Mine is definitely better after the update I had done about two weeks ago, but I want to give it some time before saying for sure it fixed everything, since it started fine when it was new, too. I can say that right now, everything seems to be working as advertised for me. The voice commands are still not as functional and as complete as they were with my 2012 Focus Titanium, but they're still useful. I've also gotten to really like the command center thing in the center console. At first I was annoyed that I couldn't touch the screen while the car was moving, but after getting the feel for the buttons and dial, I really like it. I still wish I could pause music by touching a single button or icon, though.

If you have an iPhone, go into the bluetooth menu, find Mazda and click the "i" to bring up the info menu for that bluetooth connection. Set notifications to on. Text messages will work but emails still won't. Receiving messages only. No sending. Use Siri.

Facebook is handled through Aha. Along with Twitter.

Thanks! I'll try that soon. Had same question.

In terms of iPod integration, my iPod nano stopped playing music the other day. My wife was with me at the time and she had to unplug it to make it work. But two days passed after that issue and it is working fine so far.

I only have one week with the car so I haven't checked any firmware upgrade yet.

So ...

I set notifications to on. Now the text messages option is not grayed out anymore. But when I select that option , I see no messages. Even though I have quite a few on my iPhone.

Does the Mazda's Infotainment only shows recent and new messages only?

I just got my oil changed and my first infotainment update on Feb 11th. From version 20 to version 27. Everything seems ok so far but haven't really spent time with USB playback or much bluetooth yet. Need to put favorites back and see if they stay.

One thing I did notice is there is slight delay on the voice command response now compared to before...

My dealer did not know what version was put on, they told me they were told to use the image on the USB stick with latest bug fixes. That's all they knew. The firmware update classified as a recall notice.

Has anyone tried the map updates yet - the Naviextras site appears to be back online. I did updates late last year then the naviextras site changed / went offline for awhile but now is back and the mazda handsfree site has link to it now.

I hope these infotainment system updates are available someday on the handsfree site.

I've still had no issues with my infotainment system since the update. Very happy so far. I just did my nav update--thanks for the info that the site is up again, erickbe.

I've still had no issues with my infotainment system since the update. Very happy so far. I just did my nav update--thanks for the info that the site is up again, erickbe.

That's good to hear. Everything so far is working fine except the voice command button for me with 27. I need to push the voice command button 2-3 (sometimes 4) times for it to listen. This is with no USB drives plugged in (haven't plugged it in yet since the update).

I have an issue with voice command (Talk button) and iPhone 5. The dealership wiped the system and re-installed Mazda Connect. The voice command worked perfectly well until I paired my iPhone 5. The system prompts... "Say a command" -- but nothing happens when a command is spoken. A tech indicated the same issue with iPhone 4s. I am able to make calls, play audio, etc. but the voice command is useless (and given the recent snow storms in the NE, keeping both hands on the wheel is definitely preferable).

Update, I found a post on the Mazda3 Revolution Forum.

The culprit is Emojis. The culprit is Emojis in the contact names in your phone. (Emojis are smiley faces and other emoticons used in texts and associated with contacts).

For whatever reason, use of the Emojis interferes with the voice recognition system. The solution is to delete them. After deleting the Emojis the voice command system works fine. Here's a link to a post on the Mazda3 Revolution Forum addressing the problem.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/545721-post2.html

This works until Mazda issues a permanent fix with a firmware update.

Last edited:
I just got mine update with my first oil change and I've got some pet peeves on it mainly when I got to artists it goes and plays a song without taking me to a sub menu of the artists albums..... minor but it gets annoying at times.

I've noticed that the system is the most friendly with SanDISK-brand USB sticks. I've had the most luck with Cruzer Facet and Cruzer Blade, but other Cruzer series ones still work better than most other brands.

Just took a 600 mile trip from NC to MI - things we noticed.

1. Random reboots of the system.
2. When using the Navigation the turn-by-turn voice takes over the driver side speaker, MOST times it does not give the speaker back to the Bluetooth audio. The only way I have been able to work around this bug is to place a call from my phone via Bluetooth and then hang up, this usually returns the music playing to all speakers in the car.
3. Cannot MUTE the turn-by-turn voice, this would help with bug #2 and should be a standard feature anyway.
4. Being able to reboot or restart the infotainment system without having to turn off/on the car itself would be nice.
5. When playing from USB, this should be more robust of a system - I should not have to place all of my songs in the ROOT folder to be able to do random when starting the car - also it should REMEMBER where it left off, especially if the USB has not been removed from the car (I know this is in the manual as not a feature but it really should be).
6. They should add compatibility to use .M3U playlists. It is the standard playlist format and should be compatible.
7. Voice-Command periodically does not work, I press the button on the steering wheel and it does not activate.

I dredged this comment up from 10/30/13 and it's still relevant, especially #3.

Seven days into Mazda ownership, my biggest grip with Infotainment is how turn-by-turn instructions lower my music volume every time I approach an intersection. I have the Nav voice all the way down but it still ruins my audio experience. This issue makes the Nav or music playback almost useles together. Has anybody discovered a work-around yet?

Aarrrgh! I can't get my cell phone to pair with the ITS anymore. The dealer paired it the first time and I was able to complete one 20 second phone call before it stopped being recognized. I unpaired and repaired it this morning, and the same thing happened, but without the phone call.... it just keeps searching but won't pair again. So, a total of 1 completed phone call with this system. I have an older LG flip-phone that I want to keep. (It survived salt water immersion multiple times while sailing, and my monthly cellphone bill is amazingly low.)

I asked the dealer to update my firmware before taking delivery. The car's firmware version is 25.00.xx, so they must have blown me off on the update. I will schedule a follow-up visit with my dealer to address this phone paring problem, to get the latest firmware (27?) , and to address the problem of turn-by-turn instructions killing music playback. So far those are my only ITS problems.

Today the system rebooted 4 times on me over 3 different trips. Very frustrating :( Time to make a dealer appointment.

MMC, what firmware version does this to you? Mine hasn't rebooted yet. It does have periods of apparent inactivity with the Nav, but I assume that is when it is re-acquiring satellites.

Has anybody heard when the next firmware scheduled for release? It's been a while since v.27 came out.

Having Issues with the notifications loading and texts. It tells me who I got a text from, but it won't let me read or hear the text. It won't even bring up the list anymore. This worked a few times when I first got the car a few weeks ago, but now it no longer works. I know other people have had this issue, did anyone find a fix? I have v27.

Today I started the car and the screen went blue with nothing else on it. I had to shut the car off and back on for it to "boot" correctly :(

I've had the car a little over a week and the only problem I have really encountered with infotainment is getting my ipod to work through the USB port. It won't play any playlists and basically crashes the system if I try to go through songs on the screen. My iphone (5) works fine via Bluetooth, I get texts (but not emails?) through the screen, although it turns my phones audio off so I don't hear an alert for texts. I forget what infotainment version I'm running, I want to say 20, maybe 25, but not entirely sure. I know it's not 27, I asked my dealer for an update since I read 27 was out and they said mine was up to date (even though it's apparently not). I hope they can work out most of the bugs in the near future.

Back