Impressions and comparison after a week with my rav4.

I can relate to what everyone is saying about the cx5 throttle responding to quick input, but to me this isn't a benefit. I dont see how adding a second variable input to the same output gives more control. A gas pedal has one function. To accelerate. A "normal" car accelerates relatively proportionally to to amount of pedal travel. And fairly predictably. There is nothing wrong with this system and having one linear input system for a known given output is good. Adding another variable(ie.how fast you press the pedal) in combination with how far you press the pedal, and every combination of each gives a different response does not simplify the process. How does adding a second variable to the acceleration process make it better? If I don't want the car to accelerate fast, I don't press it far. If I do, I press it farther. What's the problem with that?
\

I would completely disagree with this. I believe the CX5 is the way all AT should have been designed. The throttle is for getting the car moving. The computer decides the rate of speed and angle you press the throttle and then decides if it should go down 1 or 2 gears. It mimics what a driver would do in a standard transmission and removes a variable not adds.

I was not thrilled with the throttle workings until I discovered the quick push. Now I am in love with the control. I am mechanically inclined and cant believe it took me a while to discover how the throttle works. I am now of the opinion that this shifting is the proper way and all others except for maybe luxury cars, should work this way. You have 3 options, Slow acceleration with slow push, Faster accell with quick push or Manual mode.

Clearly it is not for everyone, But I think more people would like it if they give it some time and practice using the feature.

PS I had a 2008 V6 RAV4 , Fun to drive, but spent more time in the shop than any car I have owned since 1985. Transmission Whine, Noisy engine on start-up sounding like piston slap when below -20C Hoses falling off, Recalls etc., The engine was pulled from the vehicle for one repair. Also it crashed over potholes. I found it much louder in wind noise and tire noise than the CX5 but it was a 2008. I assume the new RAVs have much better NVH.

My Two Cents

Last edited:
I just wish the Rav4 was not lowered to 6.5 inches. I know some people like the lowered look, but in Colorado we have snow and dirt roads in the forest. The extra two inches in the Forester or Mazda are important to me for getting around in the snow and light-duty trail-head access.

\

I would completely disagree with this. I believe the CX5 is the way all AT should have been designed. The throttle is for getting the car moving. The computer decides the rate of speed and angle you press the throttle and then decides if it should go down 1 or 2 gears. It mimics what a driver would do in a standard transmission and removes a variable not adds.

I was not thrilled with the throttle workings until I discovered the quick push. Now I am in love with the control. I am mechanically inclined and cant believe it took me a while to discover how the throttle works. I am now of the opinion that this shifting is the proper way and all others except for maybe luxury cars, should work this way. You have 3 options, Slow acceleration with slow push, Faster accell with quick push or Manual mode.

Clearly it is not for everyone, But I think more people would like it if they give it some time and practice using the feature.

PS I had a 2008 V6 RAV4 , Fun to drive, but spent more time in the shop than any car I have owned since 1985. Transmission Whine, Noisy engine on start-up sounding like piston slap when below -20C Hoses falling off, Recalls etc., The engine was pulled from the vehicle for one repair. Also it crashed over potholes. I found it much louder in wind noise and tire noise than the CX5 but it was a 2008. I assume the new RAVs have much better NVH.

My Two Cents

Again, maybe it is me, but I have no problem with throttle response on my CX-5. Granted, I drive mostly on flat ground but the car goes how and when I want it, much like other cars I tested - and miles better than my old CR-V. I can also say, that I have never actually hit the "kick" switch either. Never needed it to as I can get constant and nice acceleration without mashing the pedal.

I have only driven a 2.5, so the 2013 maybe another story. The CX-5 has lots of real issues, like a terrible front audio/nav system, not enough storage (compared to Rav 4 and CX-5), and absolutely terrible inside lighting. But the engine and the transmission are not one of them (in my mind).

Isn't the kick down switch for maximum acceleration though?

No, I see it more as a consistent, predictable and fast way to get downshifts (2), holding foot to the floor is required for max acceleration (with switch acting before hitting floorboard).

Note: early model year 2013's (such as mine built in Feb. 2012) did not have switch

Last edited:
I dont see how adding a second variable input to the same output gives more control. A gas pedal has one function. To accelerate.

Yes. The accelerator has one function - to accelerate. But don't forget there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Let's say I want to accelerate from 55-65 mph without downshifting. Without a throttle that is sensitive to the rate of application it is up to the driver to guess how far the throttle can be depressed without a downshift. It would not be unusual to either accidentally downshift or to be too conservative and not accelerate at the maximum capability without a downshift.

With a throttle that is sensitive to speed, the driver can simply slowly ease into the throttle until it bumps up against the kick-down switch (without actuation it) and the transmission will allow the engine to accelerate as quickly as possible without a downshift. Thus the driver doesn't have to guess whether they could push it a little further without effecting a downshift.

Conversely, if the driver would like to affect a quicker acceleration without the extreme downshift and high rpm that would result from flooring it, it is only necessary to do a quick depression until the resistance of the kick-down switch is felt.

This gives more control and more repeatability without needing to switch the transmission into manual mode.

More control is good for drivers.

Well, I guess since my cx5 was built before the kick down switch was implemented( or at least before it was made to be felt) I can't really comment on that. Regardless, I just never liked how the car responded. Be that a combination of the 2.0 and pre kick down switch or what, it doesn't really matter. It was just one factor in the decision to trade it in. The stalling being the primary and mazdas in ability to help with even the many small issues I had with the car.

Last edited:
I agree with CX5BC and MikeM. The shifting on this automatic adjusts its sensitivity and shift points based on how you drive and how fast you press the throttle input. I found this very useful when driving because it gave you the best of both worlds. Slow gradual throttle inputs yielded quicker up shifts and better economy. Push the pedal at a faster rate to the same point as you would have during the slower rate and the transmission holds onto the gears longer and or makes a downshift quickly.

Also again on the 2.0 (had for 27,000 miles) I never felt that the power was inadequate except for the most demanding highway situations. It felt peppy in and around town and the fuel mileage was awesome with this engine especially when speeds were in the 50-60 mph range. Even on the highway I could do back to back 34-35 mpg trips (in the warm weather) which is much harder to do with the 2.5.

Driving with the manual feature I found to be useful and intuitive. I'd use it in stop and go traffic for the engine braking. I'd use it to lock out a down shift going down a steep hill while I was in cruise control or the opposite for engine braking. I also liked using it for forced downshifts when I was anticipating that needed acceleration long before the transmission could know. I also liked that it wouldn't down shift if you put it in manual mode while under a load but it would if you were coasting. I thought this was well thought out by Mazda and prefer this control over the typical automatic down shift I experienced with other manumatic transmissions. ...
Nicely explained. Thank you.

OP wanted to own a car that does all the thinking for him, and did not want to drive a manual, or an automatic in manual mode. Some people are not "drivers", and get no pleasure from having to work a car to have it do exactly what you want. I think it's a good thing this driver found a better vehicle for his driving style. No point having people driving around in cars they don't like. BC.
(iagree)

... the CX5 doesn't provide enough heat ...
I've seen others express this opinion. We spend quite a bit of time in central Oregon's high desert, where it was -27F/-32C a while back. I'd appreciate heater performance feedback from other owners who live in cold areas.

I'd also like to see all mfgs offer a "cold weather package" as a stand-alone option... but that may be wishing. Heated seats and windshield washer nozzles were a $225 option on our TDi. Heated mirrors and heated windscreen wiper park zone were standard.

Also, the CX5 is lighter and doesn't handle as well s the Rav4 in the snow. When I had the Rav4 I tested in a empty parking lot that I tested the CX5 last night, Rv4 handled better. ...
The biggest performance factor in cold weather and snow is tires. Test videos: winter vs all season tires here and AWD w/all season vs FWD w/snows here. I wonder if the Rav 4's tires had a more open tread pattern?

Drive what you like but that review (torque) is just plain stupid. Having the car lock out 5th and 6th when in manual mode is a good thing? ...
Our Honda Ridgeline locked out the top two gears in sport mode and, like most modern vehicles, it performed better and would achieve it's top speed in that mode, on a race track, of course.
Our TDi's DSG Automatic has all the options: paddle shifters, which work in drive and sport modes, plus manual mode which can be shifted with the paddles or the shift lever. All that said, it still has a few issues.

I just wish the Rav4 was not lowered to 6.5 inches. I know some people like the lowered look, but in Colorado we have snow and dirt roads in the forest. The extra two inches in the Forester or Mazda are important to me for getting around in the snow and light-duty trail-head access.
+1

Again, maybe it is me, but I have no problem with throttle response on my CX-5. Granted, I drive mostly on flat ground but the car goes how and when I want it, much like other cars I tested - and miles better than my old CR-V. I can also say, that I have never actually hit the "kick" switch either. Never needed it to as I can get constant and nice acceleration without mashing the pedal.

I have only driven a 2.5, so the 2013 maybe another story. The CX-5 has lots of real issues, like a terrible front audio/nav system, not enough storage (compared to Rav 4 and CX-5), and absolutely terrible inside lighting. But the engine and the transmission are not one of them (in my mind).
In the end, it's all about what's important to the buyer. The ongoing TDi vs Prius debate is another classic example, ad nauseum.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful insights.

One thing that I notice about the new Rav4 is that the rear section of the exhaust looks like is just dangling which probably doesnt help the low clearance issue. It really looks like an afterthought.

lead6-2013-toyota-rav4-review.jpg

Ha! I was behind one of these new Rav 4s the other day and thought the exact same thing! Thing was shaking all around.

So many SUVs and crossovers have their exhaust pipes in harms way, sometimes reducing clearance, such that the first real off-road adventure could get them to meet a rock and inflict serious damage. On crossovers, the pipes are commonly routed below the rear suspension.
I don't think the RAV-4 is an exception.

One thing that I notice about the new Rav4 is that the rear section of the exhaust looks like is just dangling which probably doesn’t help the low clearance issue. It really looks like an afterthought.

lead6-2013-toyota-rav4-review.jpg

Man, that picture makes the Rav-4 looks like one ugly vehicle! Those wheels, that exhaust and that rear end just look bad! But honestly, that is the CX-5 worst angle as well.

The thing I really like about the CX-5 is that it almost a hybrid type car - a mix of a small GT (like a GTI or Mazda 3) and a SUV.

The back of a RAV 4 leaves much to be desired in my opinion... total deal breaker for me, from exhaust, tail lights and the way it all matches... I like the front of a RAV 4 on the other hand... it basically looks like the designers designed quite a bit on the front end but didn't quite finish the back end.
Can't stand the single exhaust on the RAV4 and sticking down... in my opinion its not elegant(maybe practical), but a deal breaker considering that's a brand new vehicle...

I can't comment on the sluggishness of the CX5 as the 3 I've tested seemed to do quite well on the mountain (the dealership is at the base of the mountain) and this is coming from a 2006 Murano V6 with a 3.5l engine.

I will be sharing this car with my wife which doesn't really understand the concept of throttle and hope this will save quite a bit of gas over the Murano as she doesn't seem to understand gradual acceleration... I'm actually looking forward to the sluggishness of the vehicle.

I drive a 6MT 2007 BMW 328is coupe as my toy/sunny weather car and to be honest the CX5 comes in closest to my car in the "fun" of driving a auto CUV... I did not get the same feeling from the other CUV's I tested, they feel OK but they all have ares in which they lack certain aspects... no car has it all in my opinion, the only difference is what is a dealbreaker and what is not... everyone is different and has different taste, expectations and pet peeves...

It's funny because I actually like the back end. The tail lights remind me of the sportage which Im also a fan of. I find the side profile of the rav a bit dull and really like the front end. The xle rims(the ones in the above photo) I actually like too for the mid level rims. I've seen a lot of people go aftermarket with basic 5 spoke wheels similar to that. Granted In a larger size.
But, I can't lie, the cx5 gt is a nicer looking vehicle over all and the 19" rims were hot.

Ha ha, I think the back of the RAV4 is pretty good, side very good, front only acceptable :)
I like how the CX-5 looks pretty much all around, except for front when viewed dead center, where it is only OK.

With all the fixes applied to my CX-5 and knowing how it is all constructed, I am starting to think they all vibrate, at least a little. I wish I could ride in another CX-5 where there is no shake to prove me wrong.

With all the fixes applied to my CX-5 and knowing how it is all constructed, I am starting to think they all vibrate, at least a little. I wish I could ride in another CX-5 where there is no shake to prove me wrong.
I was thinking the rav felt more solid with less rattles(none at all yet actually)but I assumed it was because I had 18k on the cx5 and had rattled things loose already on our crappy roads. Rattles drive me nuts.

Hmmm, yeah. Two spots where rattling started to occur in my CX-5. Ones right in the main console area, it's like a tap/creaking noise. Other is somewhere front passenger side, either the door panel or the pillar where seat belt is.

Back