I Hate My CX-5

lol.. nice try getting this thread back on topic.

CX-SV, you've also sold your 2.0L Cx-5.. do you miss it?

Yes, sold it last summer to a relative.

Do I miss it? Not much.

I do miss occasionally the utility of a compact SUV, but not much else. My remaining vehicles at home are fine for now.

well, prepare to be disappointed then. I've gone on several road trip with my CX-5 and I can confirm that you won't see 28+ mpg unless you drive like a grandma at around 60-65 MPH. I'm ok with it, as 26-27 mpg for an SUV is still pretty good, but adjust your expectations accordingly.

On road trips, I can easily get 30 MPG with my 2.5L AWD if I try to drive < 70 MPH on the highway (freeway speed of ~70 and other roads, as speed limit allows). On my daily commute, it highly depends on the amount of traffic on the road with best case at around 27.5 MPG. Otherwise, driving in town on suburban streets typically reduces MPG toward 25 MPG.

Otherwise, driving in town on suburban streets typically reduces MPG toward 25 MPG.

That's interesting. I have the 2.0L AWD and tend to get my best MPG in town and on suburban streets when traffic is moderate and flowing reasonably well. Usually 34-39 MPG when I'm in such conditions long enough to get a good reading. Even in heavy congestion with lots of idling it returns nearly 30 mpg.

That's interesting. I have the 2.0L AWD and tend to get my best MPG in town and on suburban streets when traffic is moderate and flowing reasonably well. Usually 34-39 MPG when I'm in such conditions long enough to get a good reading. Even in heavy congestion with lots of idling it returns nearly 30 mpg.

If I drove stoopid slow in my Jeep, it got 23mpg, no lie. 50mph on flat ground = 23mpg. It was rated at 13 and 18, respectively (city/highway), so I find it easy to believe that your vehicle does what you claim in 40-50mph well-flowing traffic.

Yes, sold it last summer to a relative.

Do I miss it? Not much.

I do miss occasionally the utility of a compact SUV, but not much else. My remaining vehicles at home are fine for now.

So far, I don't miss the CX-5. The part that sucks about only having a two-seater is when I go out with my co-workers or friends, and I can never really volunteer to do the driving. Makes me feel like a bit of a bum. I'll have to pick up a car with more seats once my family grows.

I haven't had to carry anything that didn't fit into the Miata's trunk yet. The moment that I do, I may miss the CX-5 a little. But the Miata is so much fun to drive that my grief will be short-lived, I'm sure. :)

Also, just picked up a hardtop for when winter comes around, or for if California ever gets any rain again. :/

feieli.jpg

NinjaNoises - Thanks for update. Have a good sports car weekend.

I too get my best fuel mileage in town and on suburban streets when traffic is moderate and flowing reasonably well. I can easily average 35 - 36 mpg in those conditions. I took it for some errands yesterday and was reminded by just how responsive the handling is for an SUV. Well to be fare I am driving a Ford F-150 every day with over 300 horsepower and 1300 lbs heavier than the Mazda.

It would probably be true for me, if there were no lights / stop signs. These kill the MPG. If I could maintain my speed over long period of time, while driving slow-ish (35 to up to 50) and without stopping, I'd probably be getting my best MPG ever.

It would probably be true for me, if there were no lights / stop signs. These kill the MPG. If I could maintain my speed over long period of time, while driving slow-ish (35 to up to 50) and without stopping, I'd probably be getting my best MPG ever.

Is it relatively flat in San Jose? I live in the hills in Richmond, and running three to five errands in a week kills my average mpg. That, and driving into SF.

The valley is pretty flat. My daily commute involves few small overpasses, but that's it.
Even when we drive on longer trips, the climb over to the Pleasanton Livermore valley is pretty mild and the Altamont pass (I580) is still not a big deal for the overall trip. However, driving against the wind, e.g. when coming back over that pass, can definitely take its toll.

I am thinking of going back to a mid size sedan, especially when the resale value is still so high and there are plenty of new car incentives now.
I missing the improved driving dynamics of lower center of gravity, lower wind noise, and ~200HP engine.
Looking at the 2016 Honda Accord Sport with 6MT, there going for $20.5K OTD here. I've had couple accords in the past already. 2016 is getting slight redesign, so this will be good timing.

CX-5 has been very good car.. would rate it 7/10.. thats very good as I am quite picky.
- insufficient horsepower in the 2.0 engine ( 2.5 is fine)
- hard seats, achy back after 1hr drives
- noisy wind noise above 70mph
- too harsh of a ride, CR-V wasnt much better either back in 2012
- cheap material, plastic has easily scuffed and fabric ripped on seats. also about the thinnest floor carpet I've ever seen

Pros:
+37.6MPG average over 36K miles, quite impressive with 38 average MPH driving
+reliable to date
+roomy 2nd row and cargo area
+Good console layout, less complicated and more focus given on driving
+excellent 6MT, among best I've driven
+Still good looking design, will age pretty well.
+good visibility, but backup camera should be standard when rear view is so restricted.

Dont hate it, but I probably purchased the wrong car type for my wants vs needs. But if gas goes back to $4.50/gallon and 2016 Accord is a flop I will keep it till the 5year mark.

Hollis - Good point about the resale value of the CX-5. Resale value was high last July when I sold my 2013 GT, and today the same GT's are still holding value well.

Hollis - Good point about the resale value of the CX-5. Resale value was high last July when I sold my 2013 GT, and today the same GT's are still holding value well.

eh I looked into trading my 2015 touring cx5 in and was only offered 16-18k on trade in depending on the dealership. To be fair the car does have 23k miles on it.

eh I looked into trading my 2015 touring cx5 in and was only offered 16-18k on trade in depending on the dealership. To be fair the car does have 23k miles on it.

Yes, trade-in value on a high mileage Touring (versus private sale of GT tech pkg with 15K annual mileage) is another thing... Dealer will gladly take it for cheap as a trade.

You are far, far better off selling it yourself. When you get a buyer, call Enterprise car rental. They will deliver to your doorstep at about $250/wk. I bet if you did the math, you could afford to drive that rental car 6 months before you would take the loss the dealer would give you on that trade in. Shouldn't take more than a week or two to find and finance a new car.

Yes, trade-in value on a high mileage Touring (versus private sale of GT tech pkg with 15K annual mileage) is another thing... Dealer will gladly take it for cheap as a trade.
Annual mileage in my area is 30k and I wouldn't call 20-30k high mileage car. I can see it being high mileage for the year but overall high mileage not so much.

You are far, far better off selling it yourself. When you get a buyer, call Enterprise car rental. They will deliver to your doorstep at about $250/wk. I bet if you did the math, you could afford to drive that rental car 6 months before you would take the loss the dealer would give you on that trade in. Shouldn't take more than a week or two to find and finance a new car.

We will be keeping the CX-5 another year and trade it in on a explorer or a Durango more than likely. One of the biggest reasons we are going to ditch the CX-5 is lack of rear seat room. My wife and I are fairly tall 6 feet and a car seat or two in the back seat leaves up with our knees in the dash.

Annual mileage in my area is 30k and I wouldn't call 20-30k high mileage car. I can see it being high mileage for the year but overall high mileage not so much.

We will be keeping the CX-5 another year and trade it in on a explorer or a Durango more than likely. One of the biggest reasons we are going to ditch the CX-5 is lack of rear seat room. My wife and I are fairly tall 6 feet and a car seat or two in the back seat leaves up with our knees in the dash.

As a former Chrysler owner (2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited 5.7L QDII), let me...steer you away from the idea of a Durango, especially.

I'd recommend a Toyota Sequoia or maybe a Highlander (if it's big enough) or some other quality vehicle other than what you've listed.

As a former Chrysler owner (2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited 5.7L QDII), let me...steer you away from the idea of a Durango, especially.

I'd recommend a Toyota Sequoia or maybe a Highlander (if it's big enough) or some other quality vehicle other than what you've listed.

What is so bad bout the Durango? My wife likes the newer style ones with the V6. We haven't test drove a highlander or sequoia yet but my wife isn't to fond of the body style of those. My wife likes the fuel mileage of the v6 drango and the ecoboost explorer

Back