I Hate My CX-5

I think he means "preach!" or "amen!", lol.

It's not an uncommon slang term of the current era. Dragonteeth has got the idea. lol.

Point being, I agree with V8toilet and what others have said already: Numbers don't tell the whole tale. What matters most is how the car feels and how you feel when you're driving it.

In fact, because most people are so wrongly obsessive about numbers on paper such as 0-60 times, automakers often tune their cars to shift to hold 2nd gear just until the car reaches 60 mph, just to make a better 0-60 time on paper.

Reason is that shifting takes time. The more shifts that occur for a car to reach 60 mph, the more time will be spent shifting rather than accelerating. Automakers will do this even if it is at the cost of real world driving dynamics.

It's not an uncommon slang term of the current era. Dragonteeth has got the idea. lol.

Point being, I agree with V8toilet and what others have said already: Numbers don't tell the whole tale. What matters most is how the car feels and how you feel when you're driving it.

In fact, because most people are so wrongly obsessive about numbers on paper such as 0-60 times, automakers often tune their cars to shift to hold 2nd gear just until the car reaches 60 mph, just to make a better 0-60 time on paper.

Reason is that shifting takes time. The more shifts that occur for a car to reach 60 mph, the more time will be spent shifting rather than accelerating. Automakers will do this even if it is at the cost of real world driving dynamics.

See: 2014 vs. 2015 WRX.

So far my cx5 fails to deliver on the mileage. But it is better than my hemi jeep. So I'm ok.

We have two teenage drivers using the 2016 CX-5 GT and the mileage varies greatly according to their driving style: The aggressive driver clocks in around 5 mpg below official numbers while the other one who drives extremely gentle gets around 5 mpg above, both driving on similar roads (suburban and some highways). The driving style has a massive impact on mpg.

We have two teenage drivers using the 2016 CX-5 GT and the mileage varies greatly according to their driving style: The aggressive driver clocks in around 5 mpg below official numbers while the other one who drives extremely gentle gets around 5 mpg above, both driving on similar roads (suburban and some highways). The driving style has a massive impact on mpg.

I understand that for city, and am averaging around 24mpg combined.

That said, whether or not I am impressed depends on my next road trip. If it hits 30+, I will be impressed. If it is 28-29.99, I will be very content. If it is less than 28, I will consider Mazda's numbers to be a crock of crap, considering EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE I have ever owned previously would meet or exceed the published highway mileage when driven by me on a road trip at 70-85mph, depending on the area.

MPG Accuracy

The driving style has a massive impact on mpg.
I totally agree with you on this. Our CX-5 AWD averaged 26 mpg for all city driving, but friend's FWD averaged only 23 mpg with similar road conditions.

That said, whether or not I am impressed depends on my next road trip. If it hits 30+, I will be impressed. If it is 28-29.99, I will be very content. If it is less than 28, I will consider Mazda's numbers to be a crock of crap, considering EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE I have ever owned previously would meet or exceed the published highway mileage when driven by me on a road trip at 70-85mph, depending on the area.

Mazda doesn't generate the MPG numbers, the EPA does. That being said, it's also worth noting that the EPA changed the way they estimate MPG numbers in 2008 to accommodate how people drive in the current decade. Comparing a post-2008 car's ability to match EPA estimate vs that of a pre-2008 car is a bit unfair for this reason.

I never cared to read into the details of they test, as I don't drive exactly like how EPA tests for those numbers anyway. It's a good baseline to compare one car to the next.

Here's a link if anyone wants to do some reading.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml

well, prepare to be disappointed then. I've gone on several road trip with my CX-5 and I can confirm that you won't see 28+ mpg unless you drive like a grandma at around 60-65 MPH. I'm ok with it, as 26-27 mpg for an SUV is still pretty good, but adjust your expectations accordingly.

well, prepare to be disappointed then. I've gone on several road trip with my CX-5 and I can confirm that you won't see 28+ mpg unless you drive like a grandma at around 60-65 MPH. I'm ok with it, as 26-27 mpg for an SUV is still pretty good, but adjust your expectations accordingly.

That's my impression too... And it makes me wonder where are all the grandmas with fuelly avg above 30 are coming from on this forum?
Could it be that non-US higher compression and better gasoline gives better MPG?
Is MPG different for US and non-US CX-5 versions?

That's my impression too... And it makes me wonder where are all the grandmas with fuelly avg above 30 are coming from on this forum?
Could it be that non-US higher compression and better gasoline gives better MPG?
Is MPG different for US and non-US CX-5 versions?

On the internet it is easy to make false claims, such as prices paid for vehicles, miles per gallon , tales of romance etc....

When I drive like a grandma (60-70MPH) I easily get over 40MPG in my cx-5 :)

Do you have the AWD? Do you have a roof rack? I think the EPA still uses 65mph as the basis for the highway cycle.

Edit, just read on the EPA site that they use a max speed at 80mph. But they don't use ethanol blended fuels in their test. They do factor in this loss within their results though.

Last edited:
Mazda doesn't generate the MPG numbers, the EPA does.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml

Not exactly. From the EPA site:

Auto manufacturers are responsible for testing vehicles in their laboratories according to EPA test specifications and reporting fuel economy values to EPA.
EPA re-tests a subset of these vehicles each year at its National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Some vehicle models are selected for testing because of consumer complaints; others are selected at random. Historically, we have audited between 10% and 15% of new vehicle models (or about 150-200 vehicles), but this has grown to 15%-20% in recent years.

Not exactly. From the EPA site:

Auto manufacturers are responsible for testing vehicles in their laboratories according to EPA test specifications and reporting fuel economy values to EPA.
EPA re-tests a subset of these vehicles each year at its National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Some vehicle models are selected for testing because of consumer complaints; others are selected at random. Historically, we have audited between 10% and 15% of new vehicle models (or about 150-200 vehicles), but this has grown to 15%-20% in recent years.

That makes sense. That is a lot of testing to do, so EPA just regulates. I'm glad someone bothered to read it. Because, like I said, I didn't. :p

Do you have the AWD? Do you have a roof rack? I think the EPA still uses 65mph as the basis for the highway cycle.

Edit, just read on the EPA site that they use a max speed at 80mph. But they don't use ethanol blended fuels in their test. They do factor in this loss within their results though.

I have a FWD, with roof rails. Like I said, anything in the mid-20s mpg is fine with me. I'm not going to drive in the right lane at 65MPH on a road trip just to save a few bucks.

I have a FWD, with roof rails. Like I said, anything in the mid-20s mpg is fine with me. I'm not going to drive in the right lane at 65MPH on a road trip just to save a few bucks.
I generally feel the same way. I asked about the roof rail because that does have a negative impact at highway speeds. Increases drag which is more pronounced at high speed

Last edited:
NinjaNoises - We know about the hate, jk.

But now that you've sold the CX-5 2.0L manual, do you miss it?

Back