HVAC Controls

Now that is interesting, I had no idea that was supposed to be there. I don't have it, so I guess that pretty much confirms I have a sport model.

My 06 has all that too, except the body-colored mirror housings and the Karakuri seating with the tray/basket. Didn't know they were standard equipment on the Touring, and that all the other stuff, including the factory Touring tailgate was offered as an upgrade for the Sport. I always thought the tailgate was the surefire way to tell if it was a Sport or higher trim. Go figure. I'm betting that my padded Sport cost the PO more than an equivalent Touring did at the dealer, and that the dealer made a fatter profit!

So has anyone ever researched swapping in the auto climate control knobs into a Sport? I'm looking at buying a second Mazda5 and this one is a Sport w/ the upgrade package (sills, spoilers, etc). I can add the mirror housings cheap enough but I'm afraid the one thing I'm going to miss on the Sport is the auto climate controls that my Touring has.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll stick with the manual controls.

img20110430104816.jpg

Picture, as requested.

I gotta figure out how to install that rear blower then. Definitely an upgrade I need to do.

About those mirrors, if I wanted to install those LED type mirror cover's, would I just remove the cover? Does this require taking apart the mirror to get it off? Thanks for helping me out guys.

And what is this "center row foldout tray" you speak of?

I normally love auto climate control, but the system on my '09 GT is a joke. Not well thought out at all. You can tell that the aesthetics engineers were on a totally different page than the programmers of the system. It's just a fundamentally flawed system in my opinion. Sometimes I can hear the a/c kicking off and on with no lights on, indicating nothing is on. I can hit off and it stops. That's just stupid. I keep telling my girl that it is stupid when I try to use it and she gets mad and says you're not doing it right and proceeds to turn the a/c on. Both her and the car are really PO'ing me at that point. It's just a really convoluted system. I'm sure others disagree, but I make a living assuring that complicated things function logically and this car gets an "F" from me on the climate control.

Robotaz - let me shed some light on the a/c operation for you...

You know how car manufacturers for decades now have the a/c engaged whenever DEFROST mode is selected to keep the windshield from fogging up? Well, Mazda (and probably others) seem to think that whenever DEFROST or FLOOR, or any combination of the two are selected, the a/c should be engaged too.

When those settings are used, it's usually for the heat. And when you use the heat, you run the risk of fogging up all the windows. I'd bet it's because they received some complaints about people having to run the a/c in the winter to defog the windows, therefore, they programmed it to think for you.

I have the Sport with auto A/C..I've yet to drive a car with auto A/C where the air DOESN'T come on full blast initially, especially when it's hot. The whole idea is to try to get interior cooled quickly...mine works just fine. I did wonder about the A/C deciding to choose vent/floor one morning when it was 72 out, but then I just went to manual mode..then in a few minuted went back to auto and it was fine..maybe I'm totally missing what the issue is with it..as far as the tailgate, mine has never gone up the extra 3 inches like the manual says..again, not a big deal..

Back