HOW TO: Install TRZ DogBone Rear MotorMount

I got a lb*ft torque wrench for my birthday last year. It's 1/2" drive, effing big, and goes up to like 150 lb*ft. I can't recall the brand right now, but it worked perfectly for me when I did the MM inserts. Amazon has a few listed, but they are a bit pricey.

use the rhino ramps, saves you at least 15-20 minutes jacking up the car
and you can use them for oil changes anyways later on

torque

Can someone tell me what each bolt, specifically, should be torqued to.

chasis bolt and tranny bolt.

ps: I've already seen all the previous threads and confusing diagrams. just looking for some clear and updated torque settings.

just undid both bolts, took pliers to pull the stock mount out new one went in easily twisted, then twist it the way it's gonna mount blue locktite, torqued both to 80lbs and done.

So the dog bone goes in that easily? I had to use my scissor jack to move the engine towards the front of the car to clear the stock mount + mm inserts. That was a tight fit. If the dog bone goes in without any of that nonsense, that might be a selling point for me.

Yah I have ramps already for my url changes. I got my first torque wrench at O'Reillys last night, with a 3/8 driver and its in pound inches. 1/2 just looked too goliath for me, including the two foot handle. I got a two ton floor jack too, and I like having all these lift options. I will get jack stands too and place them under even when I ramp - I do enjoy my skull and torso quite a bit.

DaleNixon, Ken told me he was shipping my dogbone today, will have Saturday. Too bad you'll be otherwise occupied... ;)

I'll let you know how install goes.

Can someone tell me what each bolt, specifically, should be torqued to.

chasis bolt and tranny bolt.

ps: I've already seen all the previous threads and confusing diagrams. just looking for some clear and updated torque settings.

65 to 80lbs
i did mine to 80

So the dog bone goes in that easily? I had to use my scissor jack to move the engine towards the front of the car to clear the stock mount + mm inserts. That was a tight fit. If the dog bone goes in without any of that nonsense, that might be a selling point for me.

yea after you take the 2 bolts off, it's easy to get the stock one pulled forward and at an angle, almost 35-40 degree angle and you can rock it side to side, i just used pliers to get ahold of the stock mount, used my other hand to pull the tranny towards the front of the car and yanked, it came right out.

for the trz since it's much smaller, i was able to just slide it in sideways, THEN rotate it into place also using the other hand to pull the tranny a little.

it literally took ~10-15 minutes if that, i think i spent more time cleaning the bolt and applying loctite :)

Are you guys serious about the car not vibing a lot?!?

Just got finished installing mine and either I did it wrong or I'm overly sensitive to vibes but its really really strong and obvious. It rattles like a monster in all RPMs under 2700-3000RPMs. I've also found insane amount of vibes when taking off the line or when I'm going relatively slow in 2nd and 3rd. My entire body is still rattling and I parked the car like 15 minutes ago.

Did I install it wrong? Or does it require some break-in time?

There's a break-in of about 1K miles. Then again every car is different. I suppose you have a poly mount not the delrin. Make sure that you torqued the bolts to spec, and, if I'm not mistaken, the tranny bolt has to be tightened first.

Okay...I did the tranny bolt last, can that be the deciding factor? But they are both tight. I worked both bolts in before tightening either one, and then I tighted the chassis bolt and then the tranny bolt and back to the chassis bolt and again to the tranny bolt. I don't think that should cause any problems will it?

To be on the safe side, confirm with someone else the proper sequence of tightening, as I'm not entirely sure, since it's been some time since I installed mine.

At idle its not too obvious, but in 1st gear, from going off the line to maybe 5-10mph, to me at least, it vibrates very strong. Its almost like if I was in 2nd or 3rd gear and trying to get going from a standstill or being in too high of a gear going at too slow of a speed. Its hard to explain, but its very strong. Also, during engine braking the vibes come back, especially at high (80+mph) speeds.

how are the vibrations with the AC/defroster off?

It is off and feels like what I've posted above.

Is there a way to visibly tell if I got the PU or the Delrin mount? I ordered from you guys quite a while back but didnt get around to installing it until today. Maybe I got sent the wrong mount?

It is off and feels like what I've posted above.

Is there a way to visibly tell if I got the PU or the Delrin mount? I ordered from you guys quite a while back but didnt get around to installing it until today. Maybe I got sent the wrong mount?

let me know what your name or order number was and i can tell you what we shipped. if you have a picture of the mount (i know thats a PITA to ask for at this point) i can tell you right away. the differences are subtle, but apparant.

When I did mine, I bolted it down to the frame, worked my trans forward, slipped the bolt through, and tightened them both up with Blue Loctite. The vibes were really "bad" at first (I like them). They are worst in 1st, as poster says. The description of trying to pop the clutch with the wrong gear is a good description. It does calm down a lot though, in my case, within the first 300 - 400 miles. Now it just feels grunty. If I let off the accelerator in fifth, you can feel a vibe.

I wouldn't say I still feel it when I leave my car though. And while the sequence might matter, I can't imagine that if you have the dogbone situated properly and the bolts are in, that it's somehow "wrong." I'd say give it a chance to calm down, and if you're really worried, ramp it and visually verify all is well. Sure you don't have Delrin bushings? And is it cold where you are? My vibes at 30F are worse than at 65F to be sure.

Just saw you're in LA, so cold probably isn't a factor ;)

DaleNixon, can you maybe give a qualitative description of the vibes? Am I just not that sensitive?

Dude it felt like a massage chair when I was in the car! I can only imagine what it feels like gripping the wheel. I plan on installing the whole TRZ package as soon as Ken has it available for order.

I can deal with the vibes if it means piece of mind about mounts possibly failing.

Back